“Basic but comfortable.”

Stratford Manor Hotel
Sheffield
“Basic but comfortable.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

Our booking experience was very good but this was somewhat marred when my husband rang to book dinner and was told it wasn't on the night that our package had described. They actually asked him to email them the link to their own website outlining the offer before they would believe we had booked it! Such hassle over which night we could have the included dinner. After a profuse apology the member of staff he spoke in central reservations assured him all would be perfect with our stay. So we relaxed.

We arrived after a long drive an hour after their 2pm check in to be told our rooms weren't ready. The reception staff informed us they had been full the night before as if this would be perfectly ok with us. When we said this was hardly our fault they repeated the reason no less than 2 times as if we somehow hadn't understood. We pointed out central reservations had supposedly rung the hotel to assure a "perfect stay". They looked bemused.

My husband rang central reservations to complain they hadn't really done that great a job in smoothing troubled waters and was basically told to take it up with the hotel. The duty manager appeared and told us he hadn't had any information from central reservations but thankfully didn't go down the hotel being full route and offered us a free drink with dinner. Not exactly the grand gesture but had the reception staff just done this in the fiirst place our first impressions would have better.

The rooms are nice but no minibar in the standard rooms which are the only type which interconnect apparently. They wouldn't put a mini fridge in our room for our son's milk. Great beds. I love rock hard mattresses and I loved these, great sleep quality.

The pool looked nice but the changing rooms resembled school ones. On both occasions we went we got hair tangled in our hands in the pool. Really unpleasant and not something we've ever noticed anywhere else. On the first day the member of staff on duty looked uninterested in anything and while we told our son he couldn't jump in due to the no jumping signs all around the pool he had a good point telling us everyone else was . This too was unpleasant. On our second visit I asked a different member of staff to clarify the rules. He confirmed there was no jumping or diving in the pool and was surprised to hear about our experience the previous day. He was pleasant and helpful in complete contast to his colleague the day before.

The restaurant is good. Manned mainly by Eastern European staff (as seems to be the case throughout all areas of the hotel) but perfectly good service and generally excellent food apart from desserts which are best avoided apart from the cheese.

The location is good for warwick and Stratford and our rooms were nice and quiet overlooking the grounds. We had no road noise.

Overall it would have been a better stay if we hadn't had so much hassle before we even arrived and then further problems. A reasonably good hotel with a good restaurant but no Shire hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
KTurnbull, General Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2010
Dear Loverofluxury.
May I thank you for taking the time and trouble to pass on your most constructive feedback following your recent stay. I am sorry that it was not the smooth seamless weekend that it should have been. Changing the day of the dinner on a two night weekend package stay happens here on a daily basis, quite often when guests manage to get late tickets for the Royal Shakespeare Theatre (which is always worth a try) so I am very dissappointed that this was not arranged immediately for you. May I assure you that your comments will be shared with all of the team to ensure this is not repeated for our future guests.
Yours sincerely
Keith Turnbull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

This was tough, we didnt pay much, but then again it didnt warrant a 4 star rating. No fridge, no aircon, tiny double bed, and the corridors smelled like death. The restaurant and bars were nice enough, and I gather the deluxe rooms (with fridge and aircon I gather) were probably worth the upgrade - it wasnt available on our trip. The cab fare to town was only £8, and the reliable chap was there waiting at reception as soon as we called.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dear Goodjudge.
Thank you so much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay of the weekend. It is from these that we are able to review and improve upon our service. We do not have air conditioning in our bedrooms, however we have installed quiet pedestal fans in all rooms and have a number of fridges available to put into rooms which can be requested in adavance. Our new "Q star" upgrade rooms ( across the group as part of our ongoing refurbishment) have minibars, upgraded bedding with mattress toppers and duck feather duvets and a host of little touches to make them feel more special.
I do hope that we may perhaps be able to accommodate you in one of these rooms on your next stay.
Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

One of the reasons we chose this hotel was because it had leisure facilities/fitness centre and we wanted a relaxing break with a choice of staying in the hotel if the weather was poor. We used the pool, sauna and steam room on our first evening (around 6pm). The pool area in general is in desperate need of refurbishment, especially the ceilings and nothing was particularly clean. However, the worst aspect was the changing areas which were absolutely filthy. The two showers had grubby curtains and the floors where dirty. The only way to change in private was to go into one of the two toilet cubicles and everything was so dirty that I didn't want to put any of my clothes down anywhere! I got out of there as quickly as possible and was put off using it again even though we had another two days there.
Apart from that, the hotel in general is ok. The room was clean, although needed a little tlc - e.g. bathroom door had chipped paintwork. The food was nice enough. Breakfast was great if you wanted a full english but not so much choice in continental breakfast. We ate in the restaurant one night. Food and service was fine, if a little overpriced. The waiter did acciddentaly spill our irish coffee all over both of us (fortunately we weren't scalded because the water in them wasn't hot at all!) - the waiter dealt with it very well, very apologetic, and the cost was deducted from our bill. He said they would have our clothes dry cleaned and sent on to us, but this wasn't mentioned at all when we checked out so we didn't bother.
Customer service was generally good and the staff were friendly and helpful but I dont' think I would stay there again.

Dear Teejay40.
May I take this opportuntiy to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay.
I am most disappointed to read of the shortcomings with regards to the cleanlienss of the leisure club and would liek to apologise. This simply should not happen no matter how busy the club is and we will of course be sharing your feedback to help the tream ensure that is does not happen again. I know they will be as disappointed as I am.
With regards to the offer of dry cleaning payment following the misshap with the Irish Coffee - it still stands so please forward it to the hotel for my attention.
The leek
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

We booked this hotel as we fancied a short break and hadn't been to Stratford Upon Avon in a while. The Stratford Manor is slightly out of town and unfortunately doesn't have a pavement all the way so you can't walk. Buses are sketchy. The hotel was clean and the rooms were very comfortable and nicely decorated. We had booked into the restaurant for the 1st evening and it was some of the worst food we've ever had. We wouldn't recommend you eat there. The breakfast however was very nice perhaps different chefs. Staff are charming and very helpful, and the leisure facilities are well equiped. Nice for a peaceful, relaxing break as long as you are not on the side near the road, needs better double glazing that side, we moved and it is quieter on the other side. As long as you eat out it's in a good spot.

Dear Constructive.
Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay.
Whilst I am delighted with your feedback on the service from the team here I am very disappointed with the comment on dinner food which obviously did not meet our normal standards on this occasion. We are in the process of introducing new lounge, room service and dinner menus which I belive will bring many improvements.
With regards to bus times you may want to consider when visiting Startford upon Avon on a future stay parking at our sister Hotel, the Stratford, which is situated in the centre of town and offers free parking, subject to availability, to our guests in return for guests from there benefitting from the use of our leisure club. Our reception have created a map linking the two to keep things simple.
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

My wife and I were absolutely delighted with our short stay. The room was large, clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. A good breakfast set us up for the day and the evening meal offered a good choice. It was well presented and served and was absolutely delicious. Just a short drive to Stratford or Warwick.

Dear Foodyguy51
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your kind feedback following your stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time at Stratford Manor and will take pleasure in passing on your comemnts to all of the team involved.
Cambridgeshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

Stayed at this hotel for two nights. The staff were great - very helpful and welcoming and couldnt be faulted. The decor, in the rooms especially, was tired and could do with refreshing. The first room we were shown to wasnt as clean as I would have expected but was quickly dealt with. The beds however were very uncomfortable and hard and this, together with the endless noise from the nearby road, made it very hard to sleep. A slight irritation was the very poor mobile phone reception in the hotel overall especially as the phones in our room were not working however the staff were happy to let us use the reception phone to make a couple of calls. We were disappointed with the food on the night we ate in the hotel restaurant however from the other reviews I have read, this was probably just a bad night for the chef; breakfast was good.
Overall our stay was okay although we have stayed in much better 4 star hotels. I must say again though that the staff at this hotel were excellent and other hotel chains could learn a lot from them. I would not recommend this hotel for a relaxing break but would happily do so for a business stay

Dear Jasper0502
Thank you for posting your feedback following your recent stay.
I am delighted that the team here shone as they do take real pleasure in customer service and will be proud to receive your comments. Q Hotels have spent £160m in refurbishment over the last 5 years and we do try to focus this on where it is most needed. Regrettably this is often behind the scenes. With regards to your comment regarding mobile phone signal I can advise that we have invested in a signal booster system ( as signals are weak in the Stratford area) and the works were completed on the 2nd September. I can confirm the entire Hotel now has a full strength signal for O2, Orange and Vodafone. A huge improvement especially for our meeting and conference guests.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

We stayed at the Stratford Manor last weekend and loved the hotel. Its just a couple of miles from the centre of Stratford set in lovely gardens. Unfortunately I was ill whilst we there and the staff couldn't of been more helpful. The food and drinks are a little pricey but you get what you pay for, I had a plain chicken sandwich for lunch and the it was delicious, well worth the money. Some reviewers have commented on uncomfortable beds but I think thats a personal preference because we found the bed really comfortable and the pillows were great. We are going to go back to Stratford later in the year and there is no doubt we will stay here again.

Dear Jaki85n
Thank you for your kind comments. It is never pleasant to be taken ill away from home and I am delighted that the team here rallied round to support. I do hope that your planned return visit later in the year will be incident free.
kind regards
Keith Turnbull
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratford-upon-Avon
The Stratford, A QHotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,988 reviews
Stratford Limes Hotel
Stratford Limes Hotel
#1 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Stratford Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!