“First visit to stratford”

Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Excellent location but terrible experience. Stayed in an executive room. Room was clean and airconditioning good but bed was the most uncomfortable I have had since my early days in a basic youth hostel. Mentioned to reception but can't believe this hasn't been brought to their attention before. Breakfast service was chaotic with limited if zero supervision of young team of staff. Hotel was expensive and probably the worst McDonald hotel I've stayed in. I'm no snob but some peoples earlier reviews are hard to believe. I either had a really off day in terms of room or service or some people are easily pleased! I wonder if the comments card I completed was handed in by reception! I doubt it....beautiful town rubbish hotel...

Reviewed 17 August 2012

This hotel was ok, but I wouldn't stay there again as it was quite pricey and that wasn't reflected in the appearance of the hotel and service.
The room was nice but from the exterior all the windows we're rotting and needed replacing, it was just tatty. It was one of those British hotels that has passed its sell by date but no one has told them.

Room Tip: I would go for a room at the back away from the pub if you are a light sleeper
1  Thank Donna H
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Really great location near the river, the town, the theatres etc but the place is so shabby . rooms average size but a gruby and faded . I was amazed when I saw it was a MacDonalds hotel (partner had booked ) as the one in Cambridge is really nice. Breakfast was NOT good, please eat out , the town with a great variety is just 5 mins away. Staff were deliberately ignoring customers , they weren't that busy so I'd have to put the blame on the manageress (who seemed in a dream ). check in staff good, very friendly and efficient. Not a good crowd in the bar area , and would not feel comfortable having a drink there after theatre. Not sure I would return ....

2  Thank plasticpaddyLondon
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Great location, friendly staff, very clean, good food, left something in our room and they sent it to me promptly. There ia a lot to do locally and even in bad weather you are so central that it is easy to get around on foot. Window frames need replacing when capital expenditure becomes available.

Room Tip: Floors facing river are nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda T
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The staff were unfailingly pleasant respectful and helpful. We want breakfast outside - they prepared a table. We want fresh milk in our room - it arrives swiftly. We want information about the town - they provide a plan. Theatres are easily and quickly reached. Bistro Chez Pierre gave value for what we ordered. We stayed B+B and found breakfast very sustaining!

But unlike most other places (including Ronald Macdonalds and many pubs) I have stayed this year, there is no free wifi - bt prices are either £5.99 for a short session or £9.99 for 24 hours. If bt is your provider you may get it free. I found this meanness by the management.

And the property scores average, because the management have let a great many window frames rot - clearly visible from the outside.

The staff made our stay enjoyable - card for our Golden Wedding - and warm welcome.

Room Tip: Ask to overlook the river
1  Thank Peter A
Reviewed 6 August 2012

This hotel is in a great location on the River and is a really nice 5 minute walk from the RSC theatres so a good base for a visit. The rooms are nothing special for the money (although I did not find the place run-down as others have said), we did not have a bath but there was a large walk in shower which we in any case prefer. They do charge £5 extra for parking, although this is competitive for the centre of Stratford and they allow parking for the whole day following an overnight. Food at breakfast was fine (good black pudding a highlight for me) but the service was dire, slow even though the restaurant was half empty and they needed three reminders to bring coffee/milk. The mother and daughter at the table next two us had to ask three times for tomato sauce...

I'd have no hesitation in staying overnight again, but would eat breakfast out.

1  Thank Robert P
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Nice rooms and good location. Close to the RSC theatre and the centre of town. No bath in our room. Breakfast was okay. Staff at breakfast were slow and scrambled egg wasn't nice. General decor is as expected and quite nice though the windows need a touch up.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family