“Recent 3 night 'bed and breakfast ' stay”

Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Recent 3 night 'bed and breakfast ' stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

On Friday 17th August 2012 myself, my wife, my cousin and his wife arrived at The Swan's Nest for a three night stay and unfortunately the stay did not get off to the best of starts.
We were greeted by two female receptionists who at best could be described as ' surly' as we were not welcomed in the manner befitting to a hotel of this standard and certainly not to customers who are spending a considerable amount of money for a 3 night 'bed and breakfast only package'.
On checking in I was asked to pay for the package up front - I understand this is probably protocol for this kind of deal, whatI did not expect is the extremely 'rude' attitude that we had to endure from the receptionist, to say we were belittled was an understatement! To add insult to injury I was then informed that an extra £250 would be added to my credit card to cover any 'possible extras'. This is certainly not a practice I am used to and insulting to say the least!!! It goes without saying that I did not accept this 'attempt at extorting' money from me and made us feel that we were viewed as dishonorable customers who potentially had not intention of settling their extras' at the end of our stay! Not the warm and welcoming start that we should have experienced!
We were then not offered any escort to our rooms or for our luggage to be taken there for us, again a surprise for what is 'branded' as a premium priced hotel.
During the check-in experience my wife went outside for a cigarette and did not notice the designated smoking area due to the upsetting experience that she had just witnessed at reception. She was asked to move to the three wet tables where smoking was permitted, however there was nowhere for her to sit. Whilst out there she observed that this designated 'smoking' area had quite obviously not been tended to for a while as it was full of cigarette ends. Even as a smoker, she found this absolutely both disgusting and unacceptable for a premium priced hotel. She commented on this to a member of staff but no action was taken over the period of our stay, in fact it got considerably worse as the hotel entertained a wedding party the next day , not only with the addition of a huge number of cigarette ends but also empty bottles that were strewn about the area for the most of the day/evening.
On Friday evening we then entertained another 5 guests for dinner and we entertained our guests in the Bistro Pierre - the food was good however the service by young and very inexperienced staff was very slow, again for a hotel of this premium this is unacceptable.
As mentioned previously, on the Saturday the hotel entertained a wedding - no particular problem with that although as guests returning from a meal outside of the hotel we found there was no where for us to sit in the evening. In fact the only table we could find was outside where we ordered coffee and brandy's however, we found that we had to wait one whole hour to get out order. The waiter did apologise, however as paying guests this situation certainly should not have happened in the first place. The hotel should staff accordingly to cater for not only a wedding but also the number of other guests that are staying there to cater for their needs sufficiently, and to be honest there was no evidence of this at all over our stay.
The next morning on route to breakfast my wife had to step around two piles of 'vomit' that were in the corridor outside our room - again an absolutely disgusting sight to be greeted with. When she reported this to reception she was greeted with ' you should see the toilets they are full of vomit!!'' Not exactly an appropriate response to a paying guest who has had to endure the 'stench' of this first thing in the morning.
This is an extremely poor indictment of not only of the hotel but also the staff - our weekend that was not 'inexpensive' was a disaster and we shall not be returning let alone recommending it to anyone else.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jenny M S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

My wife and I recently visited this hotel with a view to using a voucher we had from the Macdonalds Group. We wanted to look at the evening menu as we were considering using our voucher towards an evening meal. We have stayed in many of the Groups Hotels and the standards have always been high so we thought we would try this hotel as we had not been there before. The foyer/reception area, on entering, had a tired look about it. Staff were attentive and friendly. I went to the male toilets and the door on entering had a sticky feel to it. When I went inside I was surprised to find a door completely missing off one of the cubicles, the toilet seat and fittings on the floor of the second, the third in a disgusting state (due to not being cleaned with a brush for some time) and the one remaining one usable. These were the worst toilets I have seen in any of the Group's Hotels and a really bad advert for the company. Neither my wife nor I felt we wanted to eat at the establishment and so left and booked our meal at the hotel across the road (Alveston Manor). We noticed that a 'Trip Advisor Award' had been given to the Swan's Nest Hotel in 2011, sadly we would disagree on this occassion. We like to be very fair in any feedback we give so as we did not stay or dine we cannot comment on any of these areas. Perhaps our report may prompt the hotel to take action to bring matters up to standard. We hope so as Macdonalds is a high standard group and we have never been dissappointed in the past.

2 Thank Michael M

Travellers are raving about these Stratford-upon-Avon hotels

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

A very warm and welcoming Hotel beside the river and near the Royal Shakespeare Company Theatres and the most historic town. Good food and very friendly and helpful staff and a fine breakfast in the morning!

Room Tip: Ask for an air conditioned room
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

MacDonald hotel in great location on the opposite bank of the river from the Shakespeare Theatre. Only 5 minute walk into town, via pedestrian walkway, alongside the marina. Usual good standards of service and cleanliness. Our room had a newly refurbished bathroom but agree with previous comment regarding the need for new windows. Restaurant franchised out to Le Bistrot Pierre. Excellent evening meal there but not so good breakfast in what seemed like a conference room.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Longframlington, null, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Excellent location but terrible experience. Stayed in an executive room. Room was clean and airconditioning good but bed was the most uncomfortable I have had since my early days in a basic youth hostel. Mentioned to reception but can't believe this hasn't been brought to their attention before. Breakfast service was chaotic with limited if zero supervision of young team of staff. Hotel was expensive and probably the worst McDonald hotel I've stayed in. I'm no snob but some peoples earlier reviews are hard to believe. I either had a really off day in terms of room or service or some people are easily pleased! I wonder if the comments card I completed was handed in by reception! I doubt it....beautiful town rubbish hotel...

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

This hotel was ok, but I wouldn't stay there again as it was quite pricey and that wasn't reflected in the appearance of the hotel and service.
The room was nice but from the exterior all the windows we're rotting and needed replacing, it was just tatty. It was one of those British hotels that has passed its sell by date but no one has told them.

Room Tip: I would go for a room at the back away from the pub if you are a light sleeper
1 Thank Donna H
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

Really great location near the river, the town, the theatres etc but the place is so shabby . rooms average size but a gruby and faded . I was amazed when I saw it was a MacDonalds hotel (partner had booked ) as the one in Cambridge is really nice. Breakfast was NOT good, please eat out , the town with a great variety is just 5 mins away. Staff were deliberately ignoring customers , they weren't that busy so I'd have to put the blame on the manageress (who seemed in a dream ). check in staff good, very friendly and efficient. Not a good crowd in the bar area , and would not feel comfortable having a drink there after theatre. Not sure I would return ....

2 Thank plasticpaddyLondon