Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sequoia House(Stratford-upon-Avon)
Hampton Lodge(Stratford-upon-Avon)
View Hotel
Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
  • Pool
  • Pool
Thistle(Stratford-upon-Avon)
The Arden Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
  • Restaurant
Best Western Grosvenor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
Payton Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
1,855 results
All reviewsthe riverbistrot pierresister hotel across the roadcar parkexcellent locationtown centrecomfortable hotelrsc theatreleisure facilitiesfresh milkexecutive roomenjoyable stayweekend breakbreakfast was excellentevening mealone night stayfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed at The Swan's Nest on 14/12/13 (our 3rd time) for our annual visit to the RSC. we paid £126/couple for bed and breakfast and, while the accommodation was its normal functional self (nothing special, but not bad), our breakfast experience (in the Bistrot Pierre) was pretty dire! We got to our table at 9:15 and, having had some cereal from the buffet bar, we ordered 4 cooked breakfasts at 9:30. At 9:50 we enquired when our food would arrive; the waiter scurried away, and returned to tell us it would be with us "in exactly 60 seconds". 10 minutes later the meals arrived, and to our dismay, 3 of them were pretty near cold (the congealed state of the baked beans should have given us a clue!). Not sure where they had been hiding for the previous half hour, but they had obviously been plated up well before they were served. We complained on checkout, and were told that this would be passed onto the restaurant management (along with many others I would think!). So, be warned, if you want a hot breakfast, keep your eye on the clock (or get there early!)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank PGM01
Claire P, Manager at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I shall be working closely with the manager of Le Bistrot Pierre, looking at ways in which to improve standards at breakfast in terms of quality and service standards. It is always our intention for hotel guests to enjoy a positive dining experience whilst eating in the restaurant and I am sorry that this was not always the case during your stay. However, I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention in order that we can make improvements in this area as a priority.
Claire Pizer - Operations Manager

Reviewed 19 November 2013

we are a family of four people who booked to stay at this hotel for one night.on arriving at the hotel we could not find a car park space despite being assured on the phone 24 hrs earlier that there was parking.The staff member greeted us with hello name please i need your card before he even said hello.We found the rooms small and the bathrooms too small even for a bath [ just a shower, not mentioned at time of booking], with only ONE BATH TOWEL AND ONE HAND TOWEL BETWEEN 2 PEOPLE !!!!. breakfast was a disgrace, no food on the buffet at all , we gave up after 25 mins of waiting for our coffee and still no food on the buffet table,when we complained we were told staff had not turned up but no aplogy.we asked for the breakfast to be taken off the bill and left.not mcdonalds usual standard and very upsetting as the trip was to visit the RSC for my daighters birthday.at no point did ant staff member seem concerned or apologise. really poor to be treated like this.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank 345linzi
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and I spent three nights here. The hotel overlooks the Avon River and is a short walk across the river to the Royal Shakespeare Theatre. The hotel is withing walking distance of the sights you want to see in Stratford. The hotel is nicely decorated, the rooms are very comfortable, especially the beds. The bath is adequate and the buffet breakfast provides a wide variety of choices served with a helpful staff. The front desk is very helpful in arranging reservations and giving directions. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dale H
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel with my partner and her parents, £153 I will never get back. Upon arrival we were left waiting for our key for 25 minutes( I could understand if we were checking in early but we didn't actually arrive until 6 pm) , we rushed to our room ( number 5) and were greeted with dirty foot marks on the wall and two single beds that were pushed together, we were informed it would be two singles but were not told you cold not lock the wheels so everytime time you moved to the centre you fall down a gap in the middle. Again as I said we arrived late and had a table booked at te encore ( which was faultless I'd like to add) so my partner wanted a quick shower , she got in and only cold water, ran te taps for a while but still only cold water. She rang down to reception and spoke to the receptionist Artur, who said " oh ok well I will turn te hot water on for you now" it's a joke that these simple things were not as a norm, a travel lodge would seem like the savoy compared to this place. We went out and enjoyed our night and came back to the hotel at about 11 the bear's bar had closed ( at 11 on a Saturday ) so we thought we will have a coffee ten go to bed, we went to the small bar on reception and asked for our drinks, the receptionst sighed and said he had just turned off the coffee machine and hinted at us just having a coffee in our rooms ( another dose of the excellent service from this place ) so we went to our separate rooms and while my partner had a wash before bed I thought ill catch the end if match of the day on th tv in our room, unfortunately the only channel available was E4+1 so I retuned the whole tv. When we woke in the morning there were no seats available for breakfast ( not just for the four of us, there were also another 3 couples waiting) when we were seated the coffee had run out, no replacement orange juice and one of the waiters said to his colleague that to try and get customers to have croissants instead of toast as te kitchen had caught fire on the grill, we got up and left to check out and were in a que of no fewer than 8 other residents all complaining about their breakfasts and swans nest experience. I would need stay there again, we have put in a formal complaint and are hoping for a refund because if the compensation is a free night in this hotel it will not e used. Horrible place to stay that lacks management ( the only supervisor we saw was someone called Jayne in the morning and she was clearly very hungover). This review is not dramatic , the place is horrible an I urge you not to say there

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Travellerstales123
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I booked this hotel recently on an autumn deal for a theatre trip to see David Tennant at the RSC. The hotel is very warm and cosy, great central location, only 10 minute walk from the theatre and all the shops, breakfast was very good and all the staff were very friendly. Our room was very nice, overall very impressed with the hotel. I would definitely book the hotel again when I next stay in Stratford, am not sure why people on here are making petty complaints about minor things!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family