“Let down”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Let down”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at a local hotel in the area as we were celebrating our anniversary and going to watch a play at the RSC.
Cons: After we shed out in excess £130 for one night we expected better. We had to pay an additional £5 parking which wasn't included in the price. We wanted to use the trouser press for our evening clothes which didn't work. When we called reception, the lady told us that spit was broken and couldn't be fixed and told us we would have to make do with an iron. This would be fine, but the room was so small the ironing board could barely fit in. The room and building in General was very dated, and could have done with a lick of paint. There was also a loud hen party going on and loud music outside our room.Although the last two comments weren't in their control, it could have still been more contained.

Pros: the location wads great, really central to everything and the play was fantastic! The hotel was very clean.

We were expecting something much better as it was 4 star.

2 Thank Becky S
Claire P, Manager at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your constructive comments. I am glad that you found the location to be such an advantage and apologise if you were not informed of car parking charges prior to arrrival. However, I can assure you that these charges are kept to a minimum. We are in the process of ongoing redecoration. This is part of a continuous maintenacne schedule through which we strive to maintain a quality environment. I hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to stay at sometime in the future, so that we can show what improvements have been made.
Claire Pizer - Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

A good size hotel, the decor is very dated. The bathrooms are very modern but let down by the dated decor. Very quiet, had a good night sleep. Didnt hear a noise. No mayjor bad or good points! But i wouldnt rate it a 4* more like 3*.

1 Thank charlie f
Dear guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your coments. I would like to apologise if you found some areas of the hotel lacking. We strive to deliver an excellent standard throughout the hotel and maintenance and refurbishment are ongoing in order to achieve this. I hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future, so that we can show what we can achieve.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were charged £140 room only for the night. I think this was pricey for the standard of room offered. The air conditioning did not work well, decor and also the bathroom was "tired" and the shower pressure was weak. They also allow guests to bring dogs, and in our room there was definitely a strong smell of dog. So overall £140 for a hot night in a kennel. OK if that's your thing !.

Room Tip: If you are allergic to animals it might be worth seeing if they have a "no animal" option...
1 Thank dave m
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very sorry to learn the Macdonald Swans Nest Hotel did not meet your expectations. We are committed to investing in and improving our product for the future and as such have an ongoing refurbishment programme in place. However, the issues you highlight will be acted on with immediate effect in order to make improvements in these areas as a priority.
We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future.
Claire Pizer - Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Stratford-upon-Avon hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I had a great two night stay - nice location, comfortable room, friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere, etc all made my business trip a real pleasure. I intended to return for future visits.
But a house keeper's eagerness to clear my room while I was at breakfast before I had checked out resulted in my iPad and phone charger being put in lost property. When I phoned later to have them returned I was charged £5 to have them posted to me. As it was the house keeper's fault for 'jumping the gun' I think this was unfair and took the shine of an otherwise enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: No choice was offered but room given was fine. My only gripe was with the charge for the return of m...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you sincerely for your comments and for the time you have taken to give this feedback. I am delighted to learn of your positive visit. We shall use this valuable feedback to pass on to our teams as this provides great motivation. I would also like to apologise for your disapointment regarding postage of your mislaid items and assure you that we will make improvments in this area with immediate effect.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Swans Nest Hotel in the near future, in order that we can restore your faith in the hotel.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Disaster from the moment we checked in, we booked an Executive Double room, the brochure stated drench shower, air conditioning, safe, none of these were in the room. We were given a refurbished executive suite, this also did not have a drench shower, the windows had been painted over so could not be opened, paint also on the net blinds, the air conditioning did not work, and stains on the carpet. Kitchen fans outside the windows going all night and delivery vehicles early morning. Breakfast was an absolute shambles, two staff running about not a clue what they were doing, one lad was going round with a tea pot filling people's cups, sadly I don't think there was any t bags in the pot! We had to keep asking for toast to go with our cold eggs and bacon, and they didn't clear the dirty pots away at all. The buffet fruits was not replenished and the bread was left without a cloth over for all to handle. Please Macdonalds do something about the running of this hotel which is in the most perfect location, just reading the reviews from last week is enough to put anybody off staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Not available
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kevt4
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to submit the above feedback. We have also replied to your concerns direct but would like to assure you that we take all guest comments extremely seriously. We have thoroughly investigated your comments as soon as you have notified us. The issues you highlight will be acted on with immediate effect in order to make improvements in these areas as a priority. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet with expectations and I shall be discussing your comments with those concerend. Your feedback will be valuable in helping us to move forward.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Great location but that is the only thing this hotel has going for it. Receptionist was not at all welcoming almost couldn't be bothered. The room we were offered was very noisy and had a really musty smell. When I asked if it was the only room available I was told yes but when I pushed her because of the smell she managed to find 3 other rooms. The receptionist made me feel like I was being really difficult when all I wanted was a clean, quiet comfortable room. Unfortunately the room we ended up with because it was less noisy and clean with a better smell was not the same level of room we had paid for. We should have had a deluxe room but ended up with a standard room - no air conditioning, no safe etc. The public areas were very grim, the carpets and furniture were very dirty and it could have done with more seating for guests. Because the bar and restaurant were open to the public it was difficult to get a drink and somewhere to sit.

If you want to use the spa facilities you have to go to their sister hotel (Alveston Manor) across the road.

The car park was also open to the public so after we had been out for the day we couldn't find a parking space (even though we'd paid for it) so we had park in the sister hotel. What a breath of fresh air that hotel is compared to the Swans Nest - I wish we'd stayed there instead. The receptionist was very helpful when we registered our car and the reception area was clean and welcoming.

Room Tip: Try any other hotel in Stratford before you choose this one.
1 Thank BrummieGirl99
Claire P, Manager at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Please be assured that we strive to deliver an excellent standard of customer care and I am sorry that we did not achieve this during your visit. I hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to stay at sometime in the future, so that we can show what we can achieve. Claire Pizer - Operations Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have 2 requirements when I request a room: cold and quiet.

1st Time: My room was next door to the coach bay also the hotel advertises it has air-conditioned rooms.

It does BUT the air con switches off automatically at 3am and does not turn itself back on. If you are temperature sensitive (as I am) you will find yourself heating up & then forced to get up, turn on the lights to switch the air con back on. The management have told me this is part of their "environmental policy". I am not in the hotel during the day and everything turns off in the room when you remove the key card. I only used the room between 8-10 hours at night and I stupidly paid for the worst nights sleep I have experienced in a 4-star hotel.

Their environmental policy is questionable: i.e full flushing toilets, provision of plastic bottles for shampoo/soaps knowing that only 24% of our plastic is actually recycled (I told them, and the response was we did our bit!). They removed my soap every day so I had use a new soap bar.

As for reception, the Head Receptionist needs to be more communicative as she did not update me the first time I complained. Having receptionists that are behind a desk at the back of the room is unwelcoming.

Positives for this hotel: Breakfast was good and depending on what room you got some are better than others! Sam (the GM) was great as he forced the air-con system to be over-ridden despite all other management staff telling "that is our policy" - implying "too bad!"

Overall I hated this hotel due to the way staff treated me and the air con situation. Am unlikely to return as found responses to my demise of poor ventilation by all except the GM very disappointing. I already gave it 2 chances and was lied to that it would be sorted on my second stay.

I am now using the Holiday Inn up the road, and the reception is far more welcoming.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in this hotel if you are temperature sensitive and like to sleep in a room with a consta...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Business T
Dear Guest
It was with great concern that I read your review following your recent visit to the Macdonald Swans Nest Hotel. May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment. On receiving your feedback, I have completed a full investigation into your comments with the team, who have asked especially to be associated with my apology. Please be assured that your feedback is not at all reflective of our usual standards and a programme of retraining is underway to ensure that your disappointment is not repeated. Staff training and maintenance are ongoing and your feedback will be valuable in helping us to move forward. I hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to stay at sometime in the future, so that we can show what we can achieve.