“Great weekend break at a quality Hotel right by the Avon !”

Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great weekend break at a quality Hotel right by the Avon !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were looking for a break in Stratford to revisit all things Shakespearean, including The Rose Theatre, Anne Hathaways, The Bards Birthplace attraction which turned out to be great and his grave in HolyTrinity Church, never mind the fantastic opportunities for Shopping and Dining. We were so pleased to find that the large Hotel is right by the Avon, within walking distance of most Sites, Theatre and attractions. Hathaways is a bit further out. We had a couple of niggles only. Our room was a little small for the money and because we had a deal with dinner on the first night, when I told the waiter he promptly withdrew the nice menu and gave us a shortened version which we thought was peevish. At other Macdonald hotels we have stayed at this didn't happen. Anyway the food was very good and we rested well. The Swimming pool and spa is also a short walk across a busy road to their sister hotel. The Swans nest has a great pub as part of its offer. Staff excellent.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anne W
Claire P, Manager at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you sincerely for your comments and for the time you have taken to give this feedback. I am delighted to learn of the positive stay you had. We shall use this valuable feedback to pass on to our teams as this provides great motivation. I shall work with the Bistrot in order to improve communication regarding our inclusive menus as our main aim is for guests to be given a varied and fexible choice when dining with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Swans Nest Hotel in the near future, once again thank you for the feedback.
Claire Pizer - Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and really enjoyed my stay. The room I was in was very comfortable, spacious,quiet and well appointed. The breakfast service was great with a wide variety to choose from and the staff attentive and helpful, although a tad inexperienced.

I did not have lunch or dinner here but some of those in the group I traveled with did and were very happy with the quality of the food and the selection the menu offered.
This hotel is also centrally located,close to all things Shakespeare,the city center, the river and all its activities. There are many good restaurants within walking distance. I'll be back!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guests,
Thank you sincerely for your comments and for the time you have taken to give this feedback. I am delighted to learn of your positive visit. We shall use this valuable feedback to pass on to our teams as this provides great motivation

shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We've just returned from our third stay at this hotel. Looking at it's rating now - 26 of 29 hotels in Stratford - had we not stayed here before I don't think we would have booked it.
However, we have just enjoyed another enjoyable stay here. Yes it needs a refurb, but it is by no means shabby or dirty, just a little dated. The service we experienced was superb, and as it was my birthday they left a card and a small box of chocolates in the room, and also upgraded us to a suite with river view.
Another concern was that it is dog friendly. Again, no need for concern. We only saw 2 dogs during our stay, heard none, and smelt none, and I am VERY fussy about smells.
Hotel location is fabulous, opposite the Shakespeare theatre on the other side of the river. The restaurant is great, and the Bear pub attached to it is lovely.
Don't be put off trying this hotel. We'll be back for a 4th stay next year.

Room Tip: Rooms 60 to 68 are in the old building and are all upgrades i.e. feature rooms. Worth going for.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wilkesk&P
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your very kind comments, we are delighted that you have taken the time to give us your feedback. The Team at the Swans Nest are very proud to read such a nice review. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Swans Nest Hotel again very soon, and hope that you enjoy celebrating many more birthdays with us.
Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights at the end of June and it is a great location for the theatre, shops and anything Shakespeare in the town. However, the so-called "premium" room furnishing seems very tired to me ; the "aircon" was little better than a fan. We had to transfer rooms when in the first when I went to slide back the interior double glazing, the window fell out and in on me. I scraped my arm and reception were most apologetic and immediately agreed to another room, supposedly an "upgrade". Because of a recent poor experience at their sister hotel The Bear in Woodstock, I was not feeling terribly sympathetic to the chain. However, though I don't know and didn't investigate, I suspect this fault was caused by a previous guest who for some unknown reason jumped the glass out of the rail, couldn't get it back in and then just stood the panel directly on the windowsill. I didn't see it ; I doubt a cleaner would spot anything like that. I was just unlucky.

Where this does win out is the excellent (but independent) restaurant, from a lovely chain called Le Bistrot Pierre. Great food, good service (they do struggle a little if it gets busy).

However, I was paying a premium price for a merely adequate room and my faith has been shaken in Macdonald hotels, so I think next time I may give the nearby Premier Inn a go, and come here to eat - at about a third of the price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments. Clearly, you were disappointed with aspects of your stay with us, and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for any shortfalls in our standards and service. We are committed to investing in and improving our product for the future and as such have an ongoing refurbishment programme in place. The issues you highlight will be acted on with immediate effect in order to make improvements in these areas as a priority.
I was pleased to note that there were also a number of positive points to your stay and I thank you very much for your kind comments which I shall share with the manager of Le Bistrot Pierre.
We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future in order to highlight what we can achieve.
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed Mon-Fri at this hotel and found it was in a very good location right in the centre of Stratford. The river and attractions were right on the doorstep. We went on a river cruise £5.50 each, well worth it. The sun was shining and everyone was out on cruise boats, canoes, rowing boats etc.The hotel looks out onto the river from the restaurant. Our room was regularly cleaned and we had no complaints. The staff were very helpful and if we needed anything they would get it straight away. We had a super meal in the restaurant one evening, the tastes were amazin. We would definitely stay at this hotel again. Oh and not forgetting the sister hotel over the road...easy access and the spa was wonderful. The size of the pool was good, it had a lovely steam and sauna all included in the price of our stay. Everywhere was clean and lots of towels. Yes a good place to stay when in Stratford.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3 which was a twin/double. Ground floor. Near to exits and car park. Not noisy abs...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jacqueline G

Blackburn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The title says it all really the Hotel is in an excellent position to access the river,town centre & theatre.Okay now the negatives, service was o.k. no complaints, but just o.k. hotel is very tired carpets have seen far better days, our bedroom had very old furniture very worn,bathroom & shower o.k. Nothing bad enough to complain about but if you stay here remember you are paying for the location of the hotel & unfortunately the rest of the hotel doesn't live up to it.Adequate parking on site & at £5 per stay good value...although paying to park on the hotel car park you are staying in, which seems to becoming standard in most hotels now is a bit annoying.Overall a good stay in an excellent location,but expensive for the internal quality of the hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ishywoods
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments; I was pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found the location to be such an advantage. Clearly, you were also a little disappointed with aspects of your stay with us, and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for any shortfalls in our standards and service. I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of an extensive refurbishment program freshening up the rooms and public areas. We hope that you will visit us again to see the improvements that have been made.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at a local hotel in the area as we were celebrating our anniversary and going to watch a play at the RSC.
Cons: After we shed out in excess £130 for one night we expected better. We had to pay an additional £5 parking which wasn't included in the price. We wanted to use the trouser press for our evening clothes which didn't work. When we called reception, the lady told us that spit was broken and couldn't be fixed and told us we would have to make do with an iron. This would be fine, but the room was so small the ironing board could barely fit in. The room and building in General was very dated, and could have done with a lick of paint. There was also a loud hen party going on and loud music outside our room.Although the last two comments weren't in their control, it could have still been more contained.

Pros: the location wads great, really central to everything and the play was fantastic! The hotel was very clean.

We were expecting something much better as it was 4 star.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Becky S
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your constructive comments. I am glad that you found the location to be such an advantage and apologise if you were not informed of car parking charges prior to arrrival. However, I can assure you that these charges are kept to a minimum. We are in the process of ongoing redecoration. This is part of a continuous maintenacne schedule through which we strive to maintain a quality environment. I hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to stay at sometime in the future, so that we can show what improvements have been made.
Claire Pizer - Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Stratford-upon-Avon hotels