“Great locations - shame about the walls!!!”

Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester
“Great locations - shame about the walls!!!”
Reviewed 1 March 2010

The Swan's Nest is in a fantastic location for anyone wanting to explore Stratford-upon-avon by foot. In a small area called Bridgetown is it a very short walk from the town centre either over the main bridge or over the pedestrian bridge leading through Bancroft Gardens.

The room was very clean and a good size, if not a little dated but the bathroom was lovely (it had obviously just been renovated). The lobby is a lovely warm environment ... but the corridors are long and bleak - decorated in two tone grey - and seem to go on forever.

We didn't eat at the restaurant but the Bistro was filled every night and appeared to have a lovely ambience.

The only downside, and it's a small one, was that on our first night we phoned down for ice .... we're still waiting!

Lots of hotels in Stratford are substandard and really take advantage of their location. We were fortunate and got a deal on this hotel which made it worth it. Would it be worth it at full price, which was an extra £100? Perhaps not.

1 Thank tink_1000
GMAlveston, gm-Steve at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2010
I would like to thank you for your kind comments left on Trip Advisor; I will ensure that all of my team are made aware of the great customer service that has been provided, And will ensure that your issues are dealt with by the department Concerned

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Chose this hotel due to good reviews on tripadvisor and an excellent 2 night price on Lastminute.com. The hotel is situated on the river and a short 5 minute walk across the bridge takes you into the town centre and the canal basin which is very pretty with the nature reserve, ducks and swans etc.

Parking in the hotel car park is free. Reception desk welcome was one of the best I have experienced in a hotel, with Nick the manager offering a very friendly welcome and couldnt do enough for us. Our room was a junior suite, which we found slightly difficult to initially find, however, a lad cleaning one of the rooms kindly offered to carry my partners bags for her without any prompting which is a level of service you dont often find thesedays.

The room was very large and very clean, with a huge bed, large LCD tv, tea and coffee facilities, fridge, dressing table, and seating area. The room also had an iron, decent hair dryer, safe, plenty of storage room and trouser press.

The bathroom was very modern and clean, with a nice double shower and large shower head however on personal preference I would have preferred a bath.

We ate in the Bistro in the hotel due to reading good reviews. The service was very good, the restaurant was comfortable and modern and the food was excellent and reasonably priced. A bottle of wine was £15, mains around £10 and deserts around £5.

Overall we could not fault this hotel in terms of its location and hospitality. We did try the spa facilities however these are located in the sister hotel and does mean having to cross a busy road but is only a short walk. The spa facilties consist of a decent sized pool, small sauna and steam room (which wasnt working at the time). However, the service here was also excellent.

We will definately return to the Swan's Nest Hotel again in the summer. Highly recommended.

1 Thank GaryH_UK
GMAlveston, GM-Steven at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2010
I would like to thank you for your kind comments left on Trip Advisor; I will ensure that all of my team are made aware of the great customer service that has been provided.
Leicester
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We booked this hotel 'blind', having done it through the 'mystery hotel' option, and we were delighted with the result. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and made us feel very welcome. Our room was spotlessly clean, warm and inviting, and the bed very comfortable - to the extent that I took the covers off the pillows to check out the make so I could buy some for home! The bar serves an excellent range of beers and very good lunches. As it was snowing heavily in the evening we decided to eat in the hotel's restaurant, The Bistro Pierre, and I'm glad we did as the food was excellent and reasonably priced (2 courses with drinks came to less than £40 for the two of us). I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, and look forward to staying there again. (Check on-line for bargain rates; we saved over £100 per night by booking on-line.)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
GMAlveston, GM-Steve at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2010
Sheffield
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Took my grandparents to the hotel. We had a great stay. The rooms were very comfortable and the staff were friendly. Breakfast was a little pricey and one member of staff was a bit pushy! The bar was really well stocked, showed sport and was cosy.

Great location for visiting a great town.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
notts
Reviewed 18 February 2010

Friendly helpful staff on reception when you arrived, we were given the wrong room on arrival we had paid for delux room and accidently the man on the front desk had not realised and put us in a room near our friends in a standard room, when we pointed this out to him he was very apologetic and put us in the correct room.
The hotel has recently been refurbished and they have made a very nice job, incorporating original features with modern.
Bedroom very nice, clean and comfortable overlooking the main road. Bathrom very spacious, although the toilet was infront of you as you walked in which could be a little ackward. It appeared that when the domestic staff cleaned the room they switched the air con on and the room was quite cold until we realised what was going on (check thisif staying in cold weather).
The food in the restaurant was excellent and the staff were very attentive, it was reasonablly priced too, the breakfast's were very good and the staff were walking around checking you had everything you needed and filling up your tea/coffee cup.
The bar (The Bear) had a really good atmostphere and had local's in it, which must be a good thing.
The hotel is very well situated for all the attractions of Stratford, this is our second visit to this hotel and I am sure there will be a third!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Northampton
Reviewed 2 February 2010

This is a very warm and hospitable hotel with lovely staff who are very friendly & courteous. The room was lovely (upgraded at no extra cost because I prefer a bath). The location is perfect - near enough to walk over to the town but far enough away to enjoy a peaceful night's sleep. The breakfasts were a feast to look forward to and the steaks we had in Le Bistrot Pierre were superb! The historic town of Stratford Upon Avon oozes character and I can think of no nicer place to stay than Macdonald's Swan's Nest.
Looking forward to returning again as soon as my work schedule allows!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NorthamptonRicho
Berkshire
Reviewed 31 January 2010

OK at first we were disappointed. We'd booked a night at the Alveston Manor thru lastminute.com and had a phone call from Macdonald resorts the day before, to say 'you've booked a double/twin and we only have twins left at the Alveston. Would you prefer a double at the Swans Nest across the road?' We agreed and were promised a bottle of wine for our trouble. When we arrived the reception staff were lovely but our room had no bath - pretty essential to us on a relaxing break. However when we had a little moan they moved us immediately and the rest of the weekend was just bliss. All the staff were quietly efficient, helpful and friendly. The room was smashing, the bathroom luxurious and the hot water - well extremely hot. As it's really cold at the moment, and we werent great at operating the radiator, we felt a bit chilly. But again, as soon as we mentioned this at reception, 2 extra blankets were delivered and our radiator put up to full heat. On check out we asked if we could have a bit of extra time to use the gym at the Alveston Manor opposite and this was no trouble. The hi-light of the stay was our meal on Saturday night at Le Bistrot Pierre within the Swans Nest. The food was out of this world and the service faultless. Definately will be going back.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple