“Good location, but didn't really deliver.”

Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Good location, but didn't really deliver.”
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Booked months in advance for a special occasion, so was expecting some lovely rooms. Disappointed with two out of three rooms - one at back with no river view and the other situated over the kitchen with a view of the roof with huge ugly extractors and wardrobe doors missing! The third room was great, on a corner, with two large windows aking it very light and pleasant. I was not told of missing wardrobe doors on arrival (apparantly a previous guest had broken them) and although the manager was apologetic and offered another room (which was not particularly nice) and took some money off the bill - it did rather put a spanner in the works of a romantic weekend. Who wants to lie in bed gazing at the ironing board, the safe and a bunch of clothes and shoes etc?! The thing about a business is how it handles things when problems occur and I was not particularly impressed. Breakfast nice and staff helpful. Location is great - close to river, lovely Thai restaurant and easy walking into Stratford. However, would not have the confidence to book here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
GMAlveston, General Manager at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2010
We are sorry that you were disappointed with the Macdonald Swan’s Nest Hotel, we pride ourselves on delivery excellent customer friendly service and I am sorry that the bedrooms did not live up to expectations. I see from your comments that my hotel manager was apologetic and was able to offer compensation at the time; we try to ensure that guests enjoy their stay and I am sorry if you felt that we were unable to make amends. We will use your feedback constructively and hope that one day in the future you will visit the hotel again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Shropshire
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Given the mixed reviews of this hotel I was a little apprehensive. We needn't have worried. This hotel does what it says on the tin. The rooms are very comfortable with all the facilities you require. I was expecting the rooms to be very small room as stated in a couple of previous reviews but ours was very spacious - large bathroom (which granted could have done with a little refurb but it was still very functional, hot powerful shower, twin basins and most importantly clean!), seperate study/work area and then seperate bedroom area with all usual mod cons - hairdryer, tea/coffee, large tv, etc. Only thing to watch out for is that it states on the website that all rooms have complimentary broadband - we found that ours did not - we took our laptop so that we could check out places of interest, restaurants, etc whilst we were in Stratford. We were given a cable by reception but then found that there was no hub available in the room. We were offered the use of another room purely to use our laptop in but we weren't desperate enough to want drag our laptop to another room. This wasn't a big problem for us as the internet was not a necessity but if you do need to use it whilst you are visiting this hotel be sure to request a room with this facility before you arrive. The bed was very comfortable.

Breakfast was really good - buffet for fruit, cereal, juice, pastries, etc and then hot meals were cooked to order. Full english was beautiful and really well cooked on both days. My husband had scrambled eggs with smoked salmon on brioche which he said was beautiful. Service at breakfast on the first day was a bit hit and miss but nothing that would put me off visiting this hotel again - i think we just arrived at peak time.

In terms of location, this hotel is excellent. You are literally 2 minutes walk from theatres, the river and the town. Facilities are so close that we managed to have a walk along by the river before breakfast one morning so that we could build up an appetite after over indulging at Edward Moon's the night before, another great place to visit (the hotel conveniently serve breakfast til 10.30 at weekends).

We also visited the sister hotel - the Alvaston Manor - and used the leisure facilities which were really nice. It is literally across the road so either hotel is ideally situated for walking into the town.

All in all, we had a very enjoyable stay at the Swan's Nest. We didn't spend an awful lot of time in the hotel as we were out and about visiting the sites and restaurants but if you want a good base, where you can have a comfortable nights sleep and a good breakfast then you won't go far wrong with this hotel.

P.S. the free parking was a bonus too and hotel staff were very helpful!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
GMAlveston, General Manager at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2010
Thank you for your fantastic feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Swan's Nest, we do our best to ensure that our guests have a relaxing and memorable visit to Stratford, and it is good to receive such positive comments. Steven Quick, General Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2010

My lady and I stayed at the swans nest last night all we have to say is well done and thank you to all the staff. From the guy in the bar with his broken hand (still pulls a great beer with a smile!!) down to the lady on reception this morning after we handed in our rooms door handle that fell off as we closed the door down to me sorry i walked away with the room key cards in my jeans room 60 in the name (chlubek) again thanks we had a great stay and the rest we had we needed thanks
Just one thing the coffee at breakfast was undrinkable even after asking for fresher cups? but dont let that take anything away from such a quality hotel

Paul and Anna Chlubek

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor, and for your kind feedback about the staff, who aspire to delivering excellent customer service. Steven Quick, General Manager
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2010

The staff @ this hotel were excellent providing first class service throughout our stay. The food in The Bear was great value for money.
The central location was ideal for exploring the town centre & other local attractions, mostly within reasonable walking distance.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments about the staff at the hotel, we aspire to delivering excellent customer service and it is always good to know that we have achieved our goal. Steven Quick, General Manager
Fleet, Hampshire
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Spent one night at the Swan's Nest in Straford, the standard of the accommodation was excellent, large room with good sized bathroom all very clean, staff at reception were very welcoming, location of hotel is within a 5 minute walk to the town centre and takes in the river and the boats, quieter location than some of the other hotels. The restuarant was excellents, the quality and choice of the food and service were all of a very high standard. Staff at the hotel were very helpful with providing directions and suggestions on places to visit, a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found the staff to be helpful, we aspire to delivering excellent customer service and it is good to receive positive comments. Steven Quick, General Manager
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2010

My husband and I spent 2 nights (Saturday and Sunday) at the Swan’s Nest for the August Bank holiday. The hotel was easy to find using satellite navigation, although looks a bit like a big pub from outside so I wasn’t initially sure we had the right place! The car park entrance wasn’t instantly obvious for us to find as someone had parked right in front of the sign which said which way to turn, I think it needed better signposting which couldn’t be obstructed by cars or people.

There is free car parking for approx 60-70 cars, we arrived at 1.30pm and the car park was fully packed with guests and people visiting the in-hotel restaurant for lunch (plus it was bank holiday). We were advised we could go park nearby at the sister hotel (Alveston Manor) which is nearby but we decided to wait a little and ended up getting a spot after about 10-15 mins, which wasn’t too bad a wait.

We were greeted by a lady at reception who was very pleasant and helpful, and she gave all key information as to enjoying our stay. We were given room number 45 which was on the upper floor, not too far from reception. It was a quiet room in general, which was good, as I have heard people who are located right above the bar get a lot of noise from it. I think from the looks of it, we had a room that was better than Standard, as we had a special name for our room (Spotted Flycatcher – probably some bird name!) and I think the room seemed quite spacious.

First impressions of the hotel were that it was cosy and comfortable, albeit a little old fashioned. I have not visited any other MacDonald hotels but from what I heard, it probably is one of the more older hotels within the chain. Our room was quite spacious and clean and we were provided with a double bed, desk, comfy chair and a new looking Samsung flatscreen TV, with plenty of freeview channels to keep you entertained.

Sleep quality was good, and the bed was really nice and comfortable. Each side has somewhere to rest any things by the bed, my husband had a little side drawer unit, and I had the desk, which I could reach quite easily to grab things from. Although it was quite close to me, it didn’t obstruct me while I slept. There are little lamps by the bed, and a switch for the mains, so you don’t have to get up to switch the light off should you want to watch tv or read before going to bed.

On the Saturday night, we got a fair bit of noise as there was a wedding reception on, which didn’t go on too late and was done by about 10.30. Our room was very close to the reception hall, but we quite enjoyed listening to the merriment and cheesy tunes!

The bathroom was mostly white coloured and clean looking, apart from a cobweb on the window, and a small-to-medium sized spider hiding in the window corner that seemed to have been living there for quite a while. The spider was okay though and minded his own business, although he would usually venture out slightly a bit during the evening. Now usually I tend to terminate spiders if they become a little too close for comfort, but spidey was an alright chap.

The shower was quite powerful, although I found the jet sprays a little too fine, but at least there was good force coming from it. There is a glass screen rather than shower curtain which leaked water a little, but it was okay as we could put a spare towel on the floor to mop up any excess water.

In terms of toiletries, you are given one hand soap, one shower gel, one shampoo, and a shower cap. This is probably the bare minimum I would require anyway, as I tend to bring a lot of my own toiletries. They do not replenish this stock on a daily basis – although I am unsure what they would do for people staying for longer periods such as a week. You are given two bath towels, two hand towels, a mat to put by the bath, and 2 little flannels.

Our hotel deal included hot buffet breakfast, which was served on the ground floor near reception in ‘Le Bistrot Pierre’ restaurant which is within the hotel. This restaurant is quite popular by day and offers fine French cuisine. In the morning, it offers a buffet breakfast to those who are staying at the hotel and those from outside who might wish to come and have their breakfast here. The restaurant is not massive, so basically you have key items out to take as you wish, including juice (not fresh), cereal, pain au chocolats, croissants, bread, ham, cheese, yogurt, dried fruits and nuts, and milk. A waiter or waitress will take your hot breakfast order which is standard fare consisting of toast, eggs, bacon, sausages, beans and mushrooms. There are no hash browns which I was a little miffed about, as I love those! But anyway, on both days I didn’t really fancy a cooked breakfast, so instead I asked for pancakes, which are the thicker type rather than crepes, and they came with a nice little pot of maple syrup one morning, and the next with some compote and crème fraiche as they must have run out of maple syrup that day. There are nice little jars with jams and honey in them on the table, as well as little packets of butter for your toast. It’s quite an enjoyable atmosphere as you are usually put by the window which has a view of the riverside. It is a tad on the quiet side during breakfast though, as they have no music or anything, and you are usually quite close to other patrons, so you wouldn’t be able to have a personal conversation should you wish.

I paid £169.60 for 2 nights with bed and breakfast, working out to be £84.80 per night. I have stayed in Stratford Upon Avon before and paid £19 a night at the Travelodge which was obviously a lot cheaper, but considering there was no breakfast there and it was a little bit more of a walk to get into town (about 10-15 mins), plus the fact I booked only a month before August Bank Holiday, I thought that was a very decent price. I found this deal through ASDA Travel after a search through travel supermarket, which I was amazed at, as I didn’t even know ASDA did travel and hotels!

The hotel is walking distance from the main town, all you have to do is come out and cross the bridge, and there you are. The town is really lovely and quaint, and two days was enough to potter about, lunch and have a nice time. You can walk along the river too, and admire the ducks and swans which live there, and even enjoy a nice boat ride if you wish. There are plenty of lovely cafés and tea rooms. I can recommend both Bensons Tea Room and Patisserie Valerie café for some nice lunch and desserts. We eat an Indian meal at Avon Spice which was fairly standard Indian fare but seemed to be quite popular. We also eat one evening in Café Pasta, which was a chain restaurant, but had a nice atmosphere. I liked the look of the Encore pub and Cox’s Yard, but we decided on going to some quieter places, but those places looked really lively and fun to go to and are quite famous within Stratford Upon Avon.

In terms of sightseeing, we decided against the Shakespeare houses, as my husband finds those kind of tourist things too boring, but I managed to get him to go to Shakespeare’s grave which is inside Holy Trinity Church. The website says you need to pay £1.50 to go in, but we got in free somehow, maybe they were just not asking for money that weekend. That was worth going to, and something unique. We didn’t get a chance to go to the theatre, but they have the Royal Shakespeare Company there, and would be nice for Shakespeare fans to catch a play there.

I enjoyed my stay at the MacDonald Swan’s Nest, and I would recommend it for anyone visiting Shakespeare’s home town!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank diva80
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Staff were always friendly and helpful. Very pleasant room with ample facilities to help make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. Breakfast was not served to the standard of evening meals. The hotel is excellently situated to visit all places of interest we wanted to see. After parking the car in the Hotel's car park it was not necessary to use it until the day we regretably had to leave