“Fabulous 40th birthday with friends”
Review of Talton Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stratford-upon-Avon
Talton Lodge
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stayed at Talton Lodge at the end of October for a 40th birthday celebration with friends.

There were 7 families staying with kids ranging from 4 to 13 years old and they all loved it. We were a bit worried about staying in the yurts in October and the hardier famliies decided to give them a go - and they were great: really comfortable beds and snug with the woodburners keeping us cosy. The only issue with the yurts is the trip to the bathroom across the field in the morning in the frost - the loo/shower rooms are a bit chilly in October in cold weather, but even I had a shower in one of the bathrooms which soon warmed up with the lovley hot water, and I am not known for my cold-tolerance.

The barn was gorgeous - perfect for hanging out in for breakfast and very comfortable to sleep in. There are two tables which the children happily coloured and played games on. There is a great audio system that can hook up to an ipod and a ceiling projector for watching dvds (we only used this to occupy the kids when we were packing up as we had far too much fun to watch dvds during our stay). The woodburner kept the barn nice and toasty.

Because there were so many of us, some families stayed in Talton House across the road. We were going to leave some children asleep over there whilst we partied, as on the map on the website it only looks a hop and a skip away, but in reality there is a small road with a smattering of traffic between the barn/kitchen garden and Talton House and then the house is down a dark driveway which is a bit spooky at night - not conducive to leaving children on their own happily, even when they are 13. This meant that some parents went to bed earlier than they perhaps would have done if they had been staying on the Barn/Garden side. I don't think it spoilt their weekend though - they looked well rested compared to those of us who stayed up far too late!

In the evenings we had food provided by Olivia. On both nights, we ate in the giant tipi in the kitchen garden dressed in our warm coats but also warmed by the roaring fire in the middle of the tipi. On the first night we had seemingly unending pizza from the wood-fired oven - this was delicious and everyone enjoyed it. This was followed by chocolate brownies. It was great to not have to cook for so many people and the cost was really quite reasonable. On the second night we had a three course meal, which again was very good. Olivia was very flexible with the timings and arranged the meal so that the kids ate first and then the adults. Eating in the tipi was a great experience and was really memorable. Barney had arranged a big bonfire in the garden on the second night which we all stood around before we ate - it really added a special touch to the celebration.

Breakfast provisions were provided for us to cook - bacon, sausages, eggs, bread, jam and butter and milk with tea and coffee. There wasn't enough for us to have this two days running, but this didn't really matter. For lunch we walked down to the local farm shop which is a short walk either down the road, or through the grounds of the house (we only found this out on the second day). The farm shop is fabulous - really lovely food, plants, flowers. There were quite a lot of us descending all at once there and it did mean they were a bit swamped in the shop (they were already pretty busy with regular customers) - but some of us waited outside in the farm shop outdoor cafe having very reasonably priced coffee and read the paper.

The absolute highlight of the weekend was the treasure hunt which took us exploring all over the grounds of the Lodge and House. Barney had arranged it really superbly - we split into two teams and were sent off in different directions, but looking for the same clues in different orders. The treasure was excellent and well worth finding! I will say no more....

Also on the site is a rope swing next to the river, another tyre swing near the barn, lots of potential hide and seek spots, a couple of friendly dogs, a wood to run around and a quiet footpath to the village. There were also bikes to hire.

We really enjoyed our weekend - it was pretty stress-free considering how many of us there were because the catering was all sorted (Had we been self-catering it would have been quite a feat to arrange a meal for 30 cooking in the barn as the kitchen is small - there is another kitchen in the pavillion in the garden, but this was quite cold in October). We were lucky with the weather, if it had been raining we might have been a bit more squashed into the barn with lots of kids to entertain.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank gingergenius

Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed in a tipi at Talton Lodge and have to say it was one of the best places I have ever visited. We were welcomed and shown around the whole site before being shown our tipi. The tipi itself was AMAZING. I had not stayed in a tipi before and was quite frankly amazed at how comfortable it was, it even had it's own log burner. We had breakfast the next morning in the communal eating area and all produce was locally sourced - in fact it may well have been from the site itself, I can't remember exactly - and was delicious. I will most definitely return to Talton Lodge one day. I really cannot recommend this place highly enough and would advise anyone who is looking for something a little different to visit.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LadyRara1974
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed here in the beautiful Warwickshire countryside with a group of around 18 friends for my hen do. It couldn't have been a better venue for lovers of the outdoor life. There were beds in yurts and the cabin for everyone, but those who favoured a proper roof over their heads could sleep in the barn. The big teepee was perfect for drinks and music and we could just about get everyone around the dinner table in the barn. We had a fabulous time and loved it so much we're returning again next year to celebrate our baby's first birthday.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I held my wedding at Talton Lodge in August 2010, I also held my 40th birthday party there and this year my best friend had her hen party at Talton. Olivia and Barney who run the place are lovely people, who where very helpful and very hands on.

All the accommodation is of a high standard and if you like glamping then this is the place for you and your family, with lots of things to do and see within the surrounding area.

I would highly recommend a stay for a week or weekend.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I have been to many weddings in the past and most are very predictable, Talton Lodge provides something very different. Reception on the lawns at the main house over looking the river. Huge Scandanavian tents, in the gounds where the weeding feast was served, and if you wanted you could even stay in the 2 authentic Mongolian yurts or in in 2 North American Indian tipis, or for the more traditional you can stay in the 18th century barn which is a fantastic space, with high ceilings and exposed beams. On the 20 acres they keep pigs, sheep, and poultry, and grow a wide range of fruit and veg, from which they produce as much of the food you will eat as is possible.
An excellent place I reaaly recommend you try.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We attended a wedding reception here in early May and were completely blown away. The location is idyllic and tranquil and the set up fantastic. The large tepee was beautifully set up with tables, sofas, fairy lights, bunting etc – perfect if you are wanting an English Country Garden sort of wedding. There was also a log burning stove in the middle so you weren’t at all cold. The food was delicious – beautiful canapés and a yummy hog roast buffet plus you could bring your own drink (always a bonus at weddings I think!). Later on they lit a huge bonfire which was really nice to sit around. They had small little yurt log huts for people to stay in which looked great plus a separate bridal suite. All in all it was really different and very memorable. I’d love to go back for a short break.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed here in March for a hen weekend. Olivia and Barney were really helpful in the build up to the weekend, answering lots of questions. The location, accommadation and food were all fantastic. Everyone had a great time and I'd love to return at some point!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends