“Charming b&b with hosts who really couldn't have done more”
Review of Victoria Spa Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stratford-upon-Avon
Victoria Spa Lodge
“Charming b&b with hosts who really couldn't have done more”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Spent 2 nights here whilst on business down the road. Other reviewers have commented that the place is tired. I would say it is more well worn and characterful than tired. Yes there are a few frayed edges, but the place is clean and looks well cared for.
A bit out of town so much quieter than busy central locations, but at this time of year easy to drive in and park in the evenings or take the park and ride bus from down the road. In the summer I would imagine it to be a pleasant walk into town along the canal, although perhaps a little more than the stated 20 minutes. On my first night I didn't fancy eating out in town alone, so brought back a takeaway. Peter happily supplied me with all necessary tools to enjoy my food, whilst Annabelle made me tea and stopped to chat so I wasn't lonely.
My double room was easily big enough for two with a pleasant view over the canal. House was very warm, which was excellent with the cold weather, but there are adjustable thermostats on radiators if you get too hot.
Good breakfast with enough to eat in the beautiful dining room. I would happily recommend this b&b to people wanting a quieter location and will certainly use again if I need a place in this area.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Tenkxx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Namur, Belgium
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We spent three nights in the Victoria Spa Lodge, we were 5 and shared the same big bedroom, ideally for 4 persons but we still had enough comfort. Two bathrooms were at our disposal, one in the bedroom and one in the corridor.
Comfortable beds, beautiful garden, excellent home made breakfasts, lovely and very welcoming couple, typical English countryside atmosphere full of charm.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ffalisse
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Our group was disappointed in this B & B. The rooms are terribly dated without being of a "period" design. I think there were floral arrangements from the 80s in the rooms. Pretty building but location wasn't convenient or attractive. Disappointed that they received such high marks from trip advisor.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank HannyLee
San Francisco
Reviewed 1 October 2011

The room and bathroom were fine: clean, functional, reasonable size, comfortable bed. It was pleasant to be met with biscuits upon arrival to our room. The dining room is over the top Victoriana, and charming. The breakfast selection wasn't as comprehensive as other places we stayed, (You could have an English breakfast, OR a croissant, for example.), but we worked it out: My husband had his customary juice and cereal, and ordered an omelet. I ordered a croissant, and ate his omelet, which was excellent. The breakfast window was very short, at only 45 minutes, too short, though we managed to get down in time. The owner Paul tried to be extremely helpful, giving us brochures with half off coupons. His directions, while well intentioned, weren't entirely clear, but we did manage to find our way to the Avon canal, which is a lovely walk to town. It actually took us much longer than advertised, as my husband was fascinated by the locks, and stopped to help one of the houseboats operate one of the locks. Even without that, I doubt that we could have made it in less than half an hour. If I could have found a place closer to town for a comparable price, I might do that instead.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Our two prior stays, one about 17 years ago, and another about 7 years ago, were very pleasant. Things looked fresh and clean. This time, we were surprised at the poor condition of the bedroom and bathroom. There are padded headboards on the wall behind each bed in the twin room, and they looked stained from wear. Creepy. The bedside lamps needed dusting. It looked like the room hadn't been prepared or freshened up for our stay. The bathroom was also tired looking. The dining room looked the same as in prior years and breakfast was OK although we did feel rushed to order the hot food. Walking along the canal is still nice and quiet, but the walk to town is very noisy and industrialized because of the large amount of building that occurred. Unfortunate. Overall, the place isn't what it used to be and we'll look for somewhere else to stay next time.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 19 September 2011

On arrival at the Victoria Spa Lodge we were taken away by how quaint it was! We were greeted by the owner who was lovely but didn't really give us any information on how to get anywhere except giving us a Park and Ride leaflet.

On the website it states it is a 20 minute rural walk into the town centre-it is definitely half an hour and we walk pretty quickly! The walk is down the canal which is nice however the majority is surrounded by industrial buildings and a very strong smell of petrol.

Our room was a great size, and there is a TV (though we did not use it) and tea, coffee and biscuits which was a nice touch. The bed was very comfortable and we had some good nights sleep but we were completely let down by the state of the bathroom. It had obviously not been cleaned before we arrived as there were long black hairs stuck to the shower wall, hairs all over the sink and the shower was very mouldy indeed. It was also very hard to get the water the correct temperature it was either scolding hot or cold.

The breakfast was good but I think served far too early at the weekend-the latest time being 9am. I would expect this to be extended to 10am at the weekend.

Sadly I don't think I would stay here again given the location and being let down by cleanliness. It is also the same price as a lot of the B&Bs which are a stones throw away from the centre.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Victoria, B.C.
Reviewed 14 September 2011

In May 2011, we stayed at this lovely inn for 3 nights. The building and property are lovely, rooms nicely decorated and very clean. The dining room is charming, bright, spacious, laid with lace table cloths and fine china. Breakfast orders arrive quickly, hot items are hot and not greasy. The host and hostess are genteel, welcoming and interesting. We couldn't afford this level of accommodation for our entire holiday, but were glad this was one of the places we chose to spend a bit more.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family