“Very nice ! Rustic and chic with a lot of character !”

Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel
Reviewed 18 October 2011

It's right in the centre of Stratford-upon-Avon. Room was clean and tidy and was beautifully. Good price and Accor group quality !
Rustic and chic with a lot of character.
Friendly staff and excellent food !
Breakfast is really good and the location is fantastic if you want to be in Stratford upon Avon.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your time to write this review with positive comments about our staff and food. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and all that Stratford-upon-Avon has to offer.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 16 October 2011

This hotel has a great location and it's right in the centre of Stratford-upon-Avon however there were some drawbacks with our stay there.
We were lucky to check-in as quickly as we did as we arrived at the same time as a large group of tourists and there was only one person on reception. Our room was clean and tidy and was beautifully decorated but we were placed right at the top of the stairwell so it was very noisy room which wasn't helped by a wedding on the Saturday night Where the guests were allowed to wonder the hotel and there was no control over them at all!
We got a good price on this hotel as we booked it quite last minute so that was the only saving grace. The customer service wasn't brilliant so I wasn't that impressed.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I read the previous reviews very carefully before opting for this hotel as it was for my Wife's birthday so I had to get it right. We didn't use room service or the brasserie so I can't comment too much on the service but the the hotel staff that we did meet were very friendly and helpful and the room was delightful. It was more rustic charm than contemporary chic but it was clean and tidy and had everything that you need for a short stay (even a four-poster bed). Yes the floorboards of the adjoining corridor were a bit squeaky but that aside we both thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would have no problem recommending the hotel.

Room Tip: Whether it is a coincidence or not I don't know but I asked for a four poster when I booked and...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2011

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review on the Tripadvisor website. I am pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

An Accor traveller
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2011

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Reviewed 26 September 2011

The hotel is conveniently situated and full of character. we stayed with elderly relations and asked for rooms near to lift on booking - this was done. but the service lets the hotel down - there simply were't enough people working. on saturday - afternoon and evening the bar was left unattended as the only barman went off to do room service or other duties, when we checked in 3pm on a saturday afternoon - only 1 receptionist was working. on sunday we were advised that the breakfast room would be busy between 9.30 and 10.15 - so we went down at 9.15 - the orange juice was empty, there were no plates, we had a to ask for coffee and toast, then the coffee pot came without a plunger, the hot buffett looked very sad and depleted - when i asked a waitress she told me it would be done in time!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Kate_Holiday

Dear Guest,

Your feedback on the Tripadvisor website is very helpful. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations with breakfast on this occasion. With regards to the staffing levels on Reception, I would like to inform you that we have a second person working to assist the departures and arrivals on most Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays . The Front Office Manager was probably conducting a show round or was helping with one of our recent weddings. I am sorry that we have kept you waiting.

I hope that you do visit us again. Please contact myself and I will personally look after your reservation.

marnix.teeken@accor.com

An Accor traveller
Penarth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2011

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 September 2011

I was quite impressed with this hotel. Lovely timber-framed building with sensitive decor. Rooms were reasonable and nice quality. We had a separate little lounge. The food was rather disorganised though. The brasserie looks lovely but it was very chaotic, my portion was the tiniest I had ever seen and there was a veggie option on there with bacon in it! Breakfast was equally disorganised with a strange hot buffet system where neither staff or customers knew what to do. The building and atmosphere are great. I would eat outside. The barman was very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a little suite with old features
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jelttil
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this review on the Tripadvisor website.

Your comments about breakfast and dinner have discussed with the Kitchen and Restaurant Teams and will help us to improve the quality and service levels in the hotel. Please accept my apologies for the poor service we provided during your stay with us.

We are currently finalising our ground floor refurbishment and our Garrick restaurant is being totally changed and subsequently this restaurant could not be used for our breakfast service. I am sorry that you have experienced the service you described.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future. You will like the changes to the hotel.