“Convenient but no attention”

Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We went to the RSC so stayed for one night at the Mercure. The room was spacious and quiet, and good value. Not perfectly clean (toothpaste in the sink and on the taps) but that doesn't bother us too much. The odd thing was that the reception never answered the phone, despite us trying again and again over the 24 hours we were there. The room service button on our phone was broken so there was no way to contact anyone apart from going down to reception ourselves, which sometimes wasn't manned, and sometimes had a long queue. They forgot to deliver our paper in the morning as requested, so overall we felt there was no care or attention at all, despite it being convenient location - we won't be back next time.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of attention during your stay.

I hope you could give us another chance in the future. If you do, please contact me direct on marnix.teeken@accor.com and I will personally look after your reservation.

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Lovely hotel full of old charm ! We have just arrived home from our one night stay at the Mercure Shakespeare. Our bedroom was amazing, infact it was more like a suite with a seperate lounge area. Plenty of space. My parents also stayed over. Their room was equally as nice but slightly smaller with a newer bathroom. Both rooms were immaculate and completely addequate for what we wanted. Stratford is a beautiful town. We also visited Leamington spa and Warwick before heading home. What a lovely part of the country ! This is the 2nd Mercure we have visited in the last 12 months having stayed at the one in Bristol as well. Highly recommended and fantastic location in comparison to the other hotels recommended on trip advisor.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your response her on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that both you and your parents enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Have stayed at the Shakespeare lots of times for various reasons and usually find it makes me smile a lot. And there was still good things this time, it's just that I didn't feel as "looked after" as before. Reception was great - efficient, pleasant and helpful. I was helped with my bag without any fuss and I stayed in a room I've had before - small but fine. No bottled water in the room this time which was a shame.

We arrived a bit late and so ate in the restaurant and sadly, it was not great. The restaurant has lost the smartness of the past - more bistro than restaurant now and somehow that just doesn't suit the Shakespeare - slate platters, no tablecloth etc - but it's a style which sits uncomfortably with the stately lady which the Shakespeare has always been. I think hotels should try to keep to their character (if they have one) and the Shakespeare has one, it's not chic, it's grand/cosy - not European, traditional English.

My partner had tortellini which was ok, and I ordered cod loin. Their food is nouvelle and so the portions are small - without veges it's just not enough - I haven't got a huge appetite but even for me it was much too small. When it arrived we had to ask for some veges because it was never going to be enough - the only thing available was green beans which arrived when we'd virtually finished. Really sad bit was that they'd run out of cod loin but instead of offering me the choice of changing my order the chef used a fillet (small white fillet, ?plaice - not cod) but the fish wasn't cooked - it wouldn't flake and it was cold. I didn't eat it, spoke to the waiter who was really kind - he went off to speak to chef who sent a message back to say something about it being that way because of the cooking method - baked rather than pan-fried - just not credible I'm afraid - the fish was cold and spongy - it hadn't been cooked properly. So my dinner was a dessert spoon of lentils, a dessertspoonful of salmon (base) and half a roast potato (diced).

The waiter again showed great concern and offered to replace the food - I don't eat meat and there really wasn't much choice and it would have meant me eating ages after my partner, so I comforted myself with sticky toffee pud (on the house to make up for the fish) and although it was fine, it just wasn't good, it was a sponge sitting on a toffee sauce. There's a difference between a pudding and a sponge and this had none of the lusciousness and denseness of proper sticky toffee pudding with its nuts and dates etc. I love cooking and love good food and was disappointed. It was a Sunday and maybe the staffing was short. We went out for breakfast both mornings because we just didn't fancy eating there again even though it was paid for.

Will I go back? Yes, because it's the Shakespeare and I've been going for 20 years - will I eat there again? No, not until I get the feeling that they've raised their game again.

While I'm at it, I'm still irritated by the car park charges - it cheeses everyone off and they could do it in another way I'm sure.

1  Thank gloria-a-c
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2012

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your honest feedback. This will help to improve our service levels and quality of food. Please accept my sincere apologies for you poor dinner experience. We have just last week appointed a great new Head Chef, Mr Marc Ward, and he is very good indeed. I am grateful that you are very forgiven and I hope to welcome you back personally to The Mercure Shakespeare Hotel.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Set in the heart of Shakespeare's Stratford, this is truly the perfect hotel to enjoy the true Elizabethan spirit! Splendid hotel, with roaring fire and beautiful atmosphere. Friendly and welcoming staff can't do enough to help and the rooms are just delightful. We have stayed here many times and have never been disappointed....pure luxury at at reasonable prices. Can't wait to return....

• Stayed: December 2011

Dear Regular Guest,

Great to read such positive comments about the staff and hotel. I would like to thank you for time writing your review on the Tripadvisor website.

I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

Just a short review as we only stayed overnight for a reunion:

The hotel is centrally located, adjacent to the local shops and sights.

We parked in the NCP car park which is about a 400 metre walk.

It’s a fabulous old black and white building with roaring log fires and nooks and crannies.

The staff are pleasant and helpful. Dinner served for 60 guests was excellent and the hot and cold buffet breakfast likewise.

Our olde wolde bedroom had a modern bathroom, overlooked the front road and had comfortable beds.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased that you have enjoyed your reunion at The Mercure Shakespeare Hotel.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed here as a get together of old work mates and wives. The hotel is in a really good position with loads of restaurants and the Royal Shakespeare Theatre within easy walking distance.

The room we had was clean and tidy and of a good size, with everything we needed. During the afternoon, we had tea in the lounge and the staff were very attentive.

If I have one gripe, it must be the cost of parking - I really do not see why I should have to pay to park at an hotel that I am staying at. Luckily we knew about it in advance.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank whitehg
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to inform others about your pleasant stay at the Mercure Shakespeare Hotel. It is great to see this feedback about our hotel and the team. Thank you again.

We look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Please bear in mind that this hotel is right in th centre of Stratford- ideal for sightseeing. The room was of a good standard the bed very comfy. But the car par was very small but don't let this put you off you can park at the nearby ncp and I think at a reduced rate. We didn't eat in the hotel as we thought the cost was rather high, but there are very good restaurants and pubs close by. We would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank MrsFidge

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feedback on the Tripadvisor website. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.