“Unforgettably bad”

Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Unforgettably bad”
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Things went wrong from the moment we checked in. We were confronted with a large printed notice apologising in advance for a disco that was to be held in the ballroom with music going on until 1:00 a.m. In our experience, when parties are held in residential hotels, it is normal for music to end around 11:00 or 11:30 p.m. as a courtesy to other residents. As it happens our room was far enough away from the ballroom for it not to be a great problem...
Well, it would have been, had it been possible to stay in our room. Alarms sounded at intervals for no particular reason; the electricity went off and this meant not only that there was no light and no TV, but that there was no water pressure, so that we had neither hot nor cold water. The fault appeared only to affect the bedrooms, not the corridors or public areas. When we rang down to Reception we were told that it was a substation fault and out of the control of the hotel. No “Sorry”, no “How can we help?” If only someone had thought to offer candles and bottled water, this would have shown some concern for the comfort of their guests, rather than the grin-and-bear-it attitude that we got. From talking to other residents we learned that there had been similar problems on the previous evening, so at the very least we could have been forewarned that they had not been completely fixed.
It also appeared that there was no heating in the hotel other than wood fires in the bar and restaurant areas; certainly there was no heating in our room, and the heating pipes and radiators were stone cold.
We were tempted to pack up and drive home, but then we remembered that the NCP car park with which the hotel has an arrangement is locked overnight, and there was no way we could get the car out.
The rosetted restaurant did not improve our impression of the hotel. In fact we were left wondering on what basis the rosette was awarded. As we had booked a half-board package we had expected to be asked to choose from the table d’hote menu, but we were shown a “house” menu, which obviously was not offered to non-residents, and which was no better than the light bites menu at my local pub. We asked to be allowed to choose from the a la carte menu with an allowance being made for the value of the house menu and this was agreed, but the quality of the food served was a huge let-down. Scallops were swimming in a thin sauce. The braised beef was served in tower shapes but without gravy or jus and very little accompaniment: the vegetables for two were served almost raw in a bowl approximately the size of a coffee cup, so that whole dish was dry, unbalanced and difficult to digest. When it came to dessert we were told by our waiter that the chef liked to deconstruct, but the lemon cheesecake was presented in such a way that there was very little cheesecake mixture and again the dish was unbalanced.
Our table by the window was cold and draughty, but when we said we wished we had been seated on a table nearer the wood fire, we were told that we would not be comfortable there.
In our room in the morning the hot water tap had to be left open to run into the bath for about five minutes before any hot water would come.
At breakfast, which was interrupted by yet another false alarm, the used dishes were not cleared from the small tables leaving them overcrowded. The hot buffet items were left uncovered. Mixed toast was brought without request, and no waiter appeared to ask whether we required anything more.
At least when the final bill was presented at checkout a small adjustment had been made to compensate for the inconvenience. However it was very little compensation for a ruined weekend. We would certainly not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed here for three nights for work. This hotel is really charming, the staff was friendly and the room I got was spacious and classy, the bed was excellent, the bathroom tidy and fully equipped. there was also stuff for ironing in the room, always appreciated.

Breakfast was very complete (not cheap), staff very friendly. The hotel experienced a power cut what caused no water (it was fixed by the morning though), and was compensated by free breakfast. What is fair. Only downside, there are a lot of firedoors in the hallway that are closed at night and tend to slam.

Conclusion: excellent and charming hotel in a nice town, recommended for a romantic trip!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your positive review and kind comment about the team . I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and everything that Stratford-upon-Avon has to offer.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards,

Marnix Teeken
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Very convenient location. were not told the hotel was covered in scaffolding or that they had problems with power cuts over the last few days. This indeed happened to us whilst my husband was in the shower, no water, no lights and no lift. we had to transfer to a hotel across the street. ( which was lovely). when we got back the shower had been running into the bath since power came back on and the whole room was soaking, we were not offered another. The room 221 was ok but rather tired. The staff were very nice and our parking was free due to shambles of the night.

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This hotel is in a prime position for exploring Stratford upon Avon, the entrance of the hotel will bring out out virtually in the town centre. This does not mean that the hotel is noisy though, quite the opposite. The hotel is having some renovation work on front exterior at present.

We had a slight problem with our reservation, having booked it online through a third party site, this was not a problem for the front desk, who after taking some details from me and a copy of the email, they booked us in and comp'ed us to a junior suite room.

The room was very spacious, if not laid out a bit unusually. Some of the furniture had the appearance as if it was past its best, but it was still comfortable. The bathroom was very pleasant and clean, you might want to run the shower for a minute before getting in as the old plumbing seems to get airlocks and pump out very hot water! I survived anyway.

The public areas of the hotel are very nice, what you would expect for a tudor building. A fireplace is welcoming on a cold evening.

All in all, a comfortable hotel.

aston clinton
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My wife and I stay regularly here, usually twice a year and hope to continue to do so. Last time, Nov 7/8, we experienced some problems. Two instances will suffice. Despite our having given good notice of our arrival time, our room was not ready. Neither apology nor explanation was volunteered by a member of the reception staff whose manner was casual verging on rude. A delay of over an hour seriously interrupted our planned schedule for the afternoon.The breakfast room the following day was seriously understaffed; practically every single table bar one had not been cleared, several food items on display continued to run out and service was desperately slow. No supervisor was to be seen and we felt sorry for the two young members of staff who were clearly seriously overworked. We trust these two instances will prove temporary for the hotel management was in need of attention. It goes without saying we look forward to our next stay. Best wishes. Geoffrey North

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I stayed at the hotel on business and I think there was a reduced business rate as the cost was very reasonable for such a good quality hotel.
The car park is very small for the size of the hotel [and costs £10 per 24 hrs] so I thought it good service that I could leave my keys and the staff would park it for me as space became available.
My room was delightfiul and I was looking forward to staying in it when I discovered that there was a leak from the room above and the bed was soaking wet through to the base of the divan. I received immediate attention from the duty manager and was moved to another "suite" room quickly. However, this was not convenient as I was on a tight time frame and did not want to pack and unpack. Although the new room was superior and, therefore, I presume more expensive, [although I was assured that I would not be charged any extra,] it was cold and the water needed to be run for a long time before it became warm enough to wash in. I did not sleep well as I was "upset" by the move and time pressure it put me under.
Although management insisted that the flood must have been a recent occurence it was obvious housekeeping had not checked this room immediately prior to letting it as there was too much water for it not to be noticeable. I did receive an apology and I did appreciate the speed that it was dealt with but attention to detail, which I have always found on previous visits to Mercure hotel, would have prevented this happening in the first place.
I guess I was a little suprised to have been charged at all!
Breakfast is excellent.

Room Tip: I am sure that my experience was a rare occurence.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

My partner and I spent 3 nights at the hotel at the beginning of November. Our room (117) was in the old part of the hotel and was furnished with antique-style oak furniture. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was well-fitted although not large. Inevitably there were some creaky floors but that is to be expected in an old building, and the charm and character of the hotel more than compensated for it. The staff were pleasant and helpful, the choice at breakfast was excellent with good service, lovely hot food if required - and the best cup of tea I have ever had in any hotel - anywhere! The hotel is in an unrivalled location in the centre of the town - great for pubs, bars and restaurants, many good ones practically on the doorstep, and just a couple of minutes' walk from all the shops and the river Avon. The riverside area is very attractive and we were delighted to see so many people enjoying a sunny Saturday, even in November. It was good to have just a short walk back to the hotel for a coffee or drink in the comfy lounge bar with its roaring log fire. We know that there can be a problem with parking but we were lucky. We would thoroughly recommend the Shakespeare and would love to go back soon.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple