“Luxury and comfort”

Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel
Melbourne, Australia
“Luxury and comfort”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed at the Mecure Stratford for 1 night, wish it had been longer. The rooms are spacious and have all the amenities you could want. A lovely bar to sit down and relax after a days travel. Breakfast was included with a wide variety of food and beverages. The staff were friendly and helpful even though we arrived late at night. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EliseB64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
West Country
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here (the first about 5 years ago) and it did seem to have changed a little, but was still a very pleasant stay. The staff were wonderful at all times. We telephoned beforehand to see if it was possible to book a parking space as my husband, at present, has a walking disability. They indeed booked us a space with no charge (we were expecting to pay), which we really appreciated. Very nice ambience downstairs in the hotel. We stayed in the Garrick Wing - very clean, but needed a little TLC. Room was fine, bathroom superb, but unfortunately the mattress had springs coming through and pillows very uncomfortable. Breakfast in the morning was really lovely, great choice with the hot buffet being replenished constantly and wonderful service - really enjoyable. In spite of the little niggles, would recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happycouple01
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is fantastic - very central to the town.
The hotel is a set isn a beautiful old building and the foyer and restaurant are a lovely setting
Waiting staff and breakfast was great however the reception service was disappointing - poor communication and no apology when raised
We were told that they had a car spot for us which we took - we were not advised it was an an extra charge until checking out - when I mentioned this there no apology just advised that there is a sign in the car park listing charges - a sign you only see once you are in there
The charge wasn't much - just should have been told first

Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Lauren W
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Lauren,

Thank you very much for staying with us and your review on the Tripadvisor website. I would like to apologise for the mis-understanding regarding the car park charge. We do try to inform our future guests on our website about the £ 10 overnight charge and at the entrance of the car park.

I hope that this does not deter you from returning to The Mercure Shakespeare Hotel in the future.

Kind regards,

Marnix Teeken
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We went here on a works party and booked the Murder Mystery Dinner.

The place is lovely, the tables were fantastic with lovely decorations and plenty of alcohol on the tables. The actors were brilliant and we did have a very very enjoyable night.

Unfortunately the food was terrible.

When we pre ordered our meals we had to select one as a gluten free option for myself, they sent us a menu back to choose from which was all apparently gluten free.

When I arrived, my table card had a (G) on it so I assumed they had prepared for all my food gluten free, as requested. So I was surprised that every course that came out, when I asked the waitress if it was gluten free, went back to the kitchen as it was not gluten free at all.

So from my three course meal the only thing I could eat was the starter as it was just goats cheese. My full turkey dinner was replaced with a small piece of fish with carrots, sprouts and parsnips and my Baked Alaska dessert was replaced with a scoop of strawberry and chocolate ice cream, I would not have ordered either of these given the choice as I don't like fish or ice cream!

The manager did come over to find out what had happened but didn't seem to really understand the seriousness of serving someone something they are very allergic to, if I hadn't double checked the food then I would have been extremely unwell.

Not what you expect from a hotel of this standard at all.

Aside from the food, the waitress was lovely and the night as a whole was brilliant, but I wouldn't eat here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank happyskibunny
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed contribution on Tripadvisor. I would like to apologise for the misunderstanding about your dietary requirements. We missed your requests from our briefing sheet on the night and I am sorry that we did not handle this to your satisfaction.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your Murder Mystery evening at The Mercure Shakespeare Hotel.

We look forward to welcome you back and to serve you a dinner with all your requirements.

Please do not hesitate to contact me direct and I will personally look after your reservation.

Kind regards,