We have stayed here several times before, usually being welcomed in the winter months by warm glowing fires and equally warm hospitality; but this visit in a chill January was distinctly cool. The receptionist had a very poor command of English, both to be understood and to understand, and the hotel had our wrong address. Our bedroom was unheated and after a query to reception - the phone line to the desk was never responded to so I was obliged to go back down - I was told the heating system was through the air conditioning vent which was high up and at the far end of a long room, but even at the highest temperature setting it never made the bedroom other than permanently cool. And though the bathroom was smartly re-furbished there was no heating there - not even a warm towel rail; so the bathroom was permanently cold; as was the hot tap in the smart new basin - even after being run for five minutes or more the water remained cold. This rather took the gloss off a tastefully furnished and attractively decorated room.
The full English Breakfast offered a good choice, but the hot food display cabinets had not kept the food more than just warm -eggs, bacon and sausages had been there some time.
Finally, as we checked out the same receptionist tried to charge us a second time, and again for the same wrong address- I had to produce my copy of the original on-line confirmation before it was accepted the hotel had made an error; and to cap it all we had to pay £10 for the hotel car parking - something not mentioned in the booking literature. Overall a historically significant venue that needs a bit more customer care to retrieve it's once good reputation. Could do better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star Tudor hotel with 74 ensuite rooms located in the centre of Shakespeare's Stratford. Ideal for exploring local villages, the Cotswolds, shops and theatres of Stratford. 19 miles from Birmingham International Airport, 1 mile from Stratford upon Avonstation, 10 miles from Warwick Parkway station. Easily accessible via the M40. David Garrick Restaurant, Othello's Bar Brassiere, Quill Bar and Lounge, 6 conference rooms with natural light for up to 100 delegates. Limited parking at GBP10.00 per day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Stratford Upon Avon
- Accor Stratford Upon Avon
- Shakespeare Hotel Stratford