“Obvious choice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel
Oxford
“Obvious choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

A great central location, with its own parking if you get there early enough, and at reasonable prices. This really is the obvious choice for a visit to Stratford. Room was comfortable, breakfast was very good, maybe the check-in could be a little more efficient - but would recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Crustyoxford
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Reviewer,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Kind Regards

Mark Nesbitt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St Andrews, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Lovely place to spend the night and a great location near the theaters and river. A lot of history here and the floorboards creak accordingly. The meals are very good and we were very pleased with our choice of Hotel. There is a car park in the back which is very useful in the small city center. The rooms are nice although small as you can imagine for a hotel this old. This was our second visit and we were again very pleased to stay here. Nice staff too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your third visit will be as pleasant as the previous ones.

Kind Regards

Wolverhampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Mercure Stratford, for a 1 night stay, for our Anniversary, on Saturday February 8th 2014.
We booked a Ready For Romance Package.
Whilst, we found the Hotel lovely, there were elements of our stay,
where we felt we didn't receive the service or facilities to justify the price we had paid.
Upon check in, which took around 10 minutes, the girl presented me with the booking confirmation,
the same name as me, but with an address from America, and a different email address.
I told her this wasn't me, and she told me that the system sometimes chooses the wrong details.
She then crossed the address out, and I had to write my address on the form.
This was a little worrying from the offset, and didn't instil me with confidence.
I asked her about booking a table for Dinner, for 7 or 7.30, as we had plans for the evening, and she said we could only eat between 5 and 6pm or after 8pm.
When I questioned this, she said the last sitting before 8pm, was 6pm as there was a wedding on.
So, I had no choice but to book the table for 6pm.
I was confused as to why I was told this, as there was hardly anyone in the restaurant, whilst we eat, and we didn't leave until around 7.30pm, and people were coming in then anyway.
For my main meal I had chicken.
It was a small piece of chicken leg, and it was mainly bone, and this dish came with a few Shallots,
and nothing else. No vegetables. It was very poor for £15!
There was also a lot of supplemented items on the menu, which isn't great when you have a meal included in the package.
When we asked for a Sailor Jerry and diet coke, the waiter said that they had run out. When we were in Quills bar later, we saw the bottle was still behind the bar half full.
I must also mention that after check-in the girl told us to take the lift, and our room, 212, was near there.
Our room was nowhere near the lift, and it wasn't signposted at all.
We saw another person trying to find room 204, which again wasn't on any signs near the lift.
It took us 10 minutes of walking around in a maze, to find our room.
We later found that the quickest and signposted way to our room, was to go up the stairs by reception.
We should've been told this.
Our room, although nice and spacious, had an empty mini bar, no free soft drinks and no biscuits.
There were two empty biscuit wrappers in the tea and coffee tray, and only two Earl grey teabags.
We also had no luxury bathrobes or slippers, which after looking on the website, were supposed to be there.
The Privilege rooms have an Espresso machine and free soft drinks, yet they weren't in our suite either,
and the suites are supposed to be a higher standard.
And, what was the point of an empty mini bar?
I also believe Privilege rooms have free broadband in the rooms, yet there wasn't this feature either in our suite.
One of the things that really annoyed us on our stay, was the fact our room service breakfast card wasn't collected.
We hung this on our door when we went down to dinner at 6pm.
By freak chance I opened the door at 7.30am and saw it was still hanging on the door.
If I hadn't have done this, and phoned reception, our breakfast wouldn't have been delivered.
This was poor. The breakfast was also delivered without the Rostis.
Although I understand Hotels can be busy, and mistakes do happen, we felt we had a right to expect better, when we had spent over £200 (room and expenses). That is a decent spend for one evening.
We did feel quite disillusioned as this Hotel does have a good reputation, but we felt like we were pushed aside,
and didn't receive what we expect from a 4 star Hotel.
The Hotel Manager has since contacted me and apologized. And, as we found the Hotel lovely & full of character, and it's in a superb location, we will be giving it another try, when we visit Stratford again, over Easter.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just returned from a two-night stay at the Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon. It's central and a short stroll from the RSC and other sights. That's it's best point.
My wife and I were given a small, rather dark room. The creaking floorboards in the room and in the corridor outside were something else. However, the room was clean and just about adequate.
The breakfast was truly awful. It consisted of an uncovered 'hot' buffet that was open to any coughing, sneezing etc. The food was stone cold and of poor quality. The cold buffet was similarly displayed. Both my wife and I were very worried about the hygiene of the arrangements so did not select any food from either.
We would return to the hotel because it is so conveniently located but on a room only basis without breakfast. Go to nearby café for breakfast - Starbucks is just round the corner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has some sort of open view. Avoid Room 128.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

My fiancé and myself have been here three times within the past year and we have been here twice within a year. Both times we've been very impressed with the service.
The rooms are beautiful and within keeping of the shakespearean theme. The beds are comfy and the rooms were just toasty - which was lovely considering we've been in november and december!!
Staff are always very helpful and have helped us when needed e.g. with storing our luggage till we were leaving on day of check out etc.
Great central location, beautiful and comfy rooms and lovely en suites! Would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Anaheim, California, Usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We drove into the hotel late at night. The staff person was friendly enough, but as we found out later, under trained. The room as ok, but i was expecting a little more for $100 a night. In the morning we tried to have their buffet breakfast but were told that it was $26 since we didn't reserve a table the night before. When we told another staff person we were never told about the 33% discount, she said the price was still $26. When i spoke to the hotel manager, she apologized about the mis-information but offered nothing for our trouble. As we walked through the hotel, two other couples came up to us with similar experiences. It's a shame when a local hotel is taken over by another company and even the local townspeople don't recommend the business.

Room Tip: if you're looking for a cheap hotel, this is probably up your alley.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014