I'd booked a "Privilige" twin room online as a treat for my mother and I. On arrival at the hotel the receptionist informed me that there were no Privilige twin rooms available and that they would not have guaranteed availability of such rooms on booking (why have these rooms shown on the website in the first place?). There then followed a 10 minute conversation whilst the front office manager rambled on about what rooms were and were not available and would I like to see this room and that room when all she needed to say was "You can have a superior twin room and I will take the difference off you bill" (we were shown a privilege room and to be honest the 'standard' room was of a better standard anyway!). The room we were allocated was in the Garrick Wing across the car park from the main hotel building and our room faced over Sheep Street which was very busy with delivery lorries and bin lorries from about 5am so don't accept this room if you want a lie in!
We were booked on a dinner, bed and breakfast package. Dinner on the first night was lovely, on the second day I asked reception if I could book a table in the restaurant for that evening. I was told "No you cannot the restaurant is full. We have a wedding and a tour of 50 people." I explained that I was on a DBB package the receptionist then said that she would have to check with her manager, on her return miraculously we could have a table at whatever time we wanted! We booked for 7pm. On arrival at the restaurant it became apparent that the tour was just heading in for dinner and that the staff were still serving in restaurant. I spoke to one of the managers and said that we would be happy to have a drink in the bar before dinner if it would help them get the wedding and the tour served before we went in for dinner. The manager was very grateful for this and very kindly provided a complimentary drink for both of us. The dinner was lovely again although we did feel quite awkward sitting in a separate restaurant to the tour on our own.
On the third night we were going to the theatre (and based on the previous night's observations) decided that we would be better eating early, so I asked reception if we could eat at 6pm (the restaurant opens at 5.30) a table was booked. On arrival to the restaurant at 6 o'clock everything appeared to be closed, there were no lights on and the waiting staff could be seen sorting out the luggage for yet another tour bus. At about 6.10 one of the waiters acknowledged our presence and sat us down at a table. Again the food was lovely.
The restaurant staff and management were extremely helpful and attentive throughout our stay in spite of their obvious high workload. My main issue with this hotel was the attitude of the front desk staff. They seemed to be of the opinion that, if you were not part of a coach tour or involved with a wedding, you were an inconvenience. This is not the attitude when we were no doubt paying a higher rate for our rooms than the tour party, we should have received at least an equal level of service.
It is a shame as the hotel is in a fantastic location (everything is within walking distance), the rooms are lovely, the restaurant service and food are fantastic but I would hesitate to stay here again or to recommend this hotel to friends and family due to the attitude of the front desk staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star Tudor hotel with 74 ensuite rooms located in the centre of Shakespeare's Stratford. Ideal for exploring local villages, the Cotswolds, shops and theatres of Stratford. 19 miles from Birmingham International Airport, 1 mile from Stratford upon Avonstation, 10 miles from Warwick Parkway station. Easily accessible via the M40. David Garrick Restaurant, Othello's Bar Brassiere, Quill Bar and Lounge, 6 conference rooms with natural light for up to 100 delegates. Limited parking at GBP10.00 per day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Stratford Upon Avon
- Accor Stratford Upon Avon
- Shakespeare Hotel Stratford