As I live in Stratford upon Avon, I have heard several positive reviews about this hotel from friends, and indeed my daughter works for the Tourist information centre in Stratford, even she recommended it....so, as it was my visiting mothers birthday, I wanted to treat her to a night there. I booked through Otel.com, and booked a classic double, with breakfast.
I called the day before to ask what time I could access the room, as I wanted to put treats, balloons etc in the room for their arrival, and was told 2 pm which was fine.
I went down on Saturday, around 3 pm to check in.There was one receptionist that I could see on duty, on which was a very busy time. I was informed there was no parking spaces in the car park left, and that I was advised to use Rother street car park. Not ideal, as my stepfather is registered disabled, but I wasn't too worried, as I work around the corner, with free car parking I could tell them to park there if they wanted instead.
Room 141 was allocated to us, and I went up to arrange the surprises.
In the room was 2 single beds pushed together. Not a double as I requested. I called down to reception to be ask why was it not a double, and was told Otel.com does not inform them of what is booked, room wise. I was told that there was nothing that could be done, as the hotel was now fully booked. So I had very little option but to take the room. I have to say I was extremely annoyed, and very disappointed by this, as it is not what I had paid for.
I had booked breakfast for them on Sunday morning. My parents sent back the cold, and soggy toast, my mothers breakfast was luke warm, and even they were very disappointed with the stay, in comparison to their usual Premier Inn stay at Waterways. The server in the breakfast bar looked very peeved at being asked to get some new toast. Not ideal customer service.
I will be writing to not only the hotel with my complaint, but also Otel.com.
I shall not be recommending this hotel, or Otel.com to any of my friends, or relatives.
We will book them into Premier Inn instead. Cheaper, better customer service, and a decent breakfast.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star Tudor hotel with 74 ensuite rooms located in the centre of Shakespeare's Stratford. Ideal for exploring local villages, the Cotswolds, shops and theatres of Stratford. 19 miles from Birmingham International Airport, 1 mile from Stratford upon Avonstation, 10 miles from Warwick Parkway station. Easily accessible via the M40. David Garrick Restaurant, Othello's Bar Brassiere, Quill Bar and Lounge, 6 conference rooms with natural light for up to 100 delegates. Limited parking at GBP10.00 per day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, ACCOR, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, Lastminute, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, HRS, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Stratford Upon Avon
- Accor Stratford Upon Avon
- Shakespeare Hotel Stratford