“Not impressed.”

Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Not impressed.”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

As I live in Stratford upon Avon, I have heard several positive reviews about this hotel from friends, and indeed my daughter works for the Tourist information centre in Stratford, even she recommended it....so, as it was my visiting mothers birthday, I wanted to treat her to a night there. I booked through Otel.com, and booked a classic double, with breakfast.
I called the day before to ask what time I could access the room, as I wanted to put treats, balloons etc in the room for their arrival, and was told 2 pm which was fine.
I went down on Saturday, around 3 pm to check in.There was one receptionist that I could see on duty, on which was a very busy time. I was informed there was no parking spaces in the car park left, and that I was advised to use Rother street car park. Not ideal, as my stepfather is registered disabled, but I wasn't too worried, as I work around the corner, with free car parking I could tell them to park there if they wanted instead.
Room 141 was allocated to us, and I went up to arrange the surprises.
In the room was 2 single beds pushed together. Not a double as I requested. I called down to reception to be ask why was it not a double, and was told Otel.com does not inform them of what is booked, room wise. I was told that there was nothing that could be done, as the hotel was now fully booked. So I had very little option but to take the room. I have to say I was extremely annoyed, and very disappointed by this, as it is not what I had paid for.
I had booked breakfast for them on Sunday morning. My parents sent back the cold, and soggy toast, my mothers breakfast was luke warm, and even they were very disappointed with the stay, in comparison to their usual Premier Inn stay at Waterways. The server in the breakfast bar looked very peeved at being asked to get some new toast. Not ideal customer service.

I will be writing to not only the hotel with my complaint, but also Otel.com.
I shall not be recommending this hotel, or Otel.com to any of my friends, or relatives.

We will book them into Premier Inn instead. Cheaper, better customer service, and a decent breakfast.

1 Thank Df136

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Check in was easy and reception were helpful and friendly. We stayed in a junior suite which was spacious and clean. A giant 4 poster bed with a well decorated and clean room was welcoming, as was the complimentary toiletries and drinks.

Breakfast was buffet style but well organised. All food was hot and there was a good range to choose from.

Really enjoyed our stay here, perfect location to walk around Stratford from. The theatre and river are 10 minutes walk. Parking is limited but we found a pay and display 5 minutes walk away that was the same price.

Room Tip: We were off the main road so it was very quiet at night.
1 Thank Pete J
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Fareham
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We trawled the internet to find a hotel and were so pleased we decided on this one! Through reviews I was aware parking was extra. We arrived and were directed to a very near public car park. Bearing in mind the central location of the hotel we really didn't mind as the car wasn't needed during our stay and the fantastic location meant we could very easily walk to restaurants, the lovely town and the river. Also whilst central, there was no noise from outside. The staff were very friendly and easy to strike up conversation with, you didn't feel they were just talking to you because it was part of their job! The room was very comfortable, not huge but all we wanted with a nice en suite. There was a great deal of choice for breakfast. We came away very happy.

1 Thank Josie A

Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

You have to appreciate the age of the building, if you want a room that is modern then stay away. Located in the middle of Stratford, some noise from the street at night if you are in a room at the front. Food was fine but bar prices were bit of a shocker. Would happily stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kanali

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hotel is old and the floorboards all creak but it is an awesome place. Location was good and the staff was very nice and friendly. We had dinner and breakfast and the food was very good.Would definetly stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Mark Nesbit
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Lovely old building with lots of exposed timber. I got a suite (!) in the Garrick wing. There is no lift. The room was nicely furnished with old style furniture and modern amenities. Great location--the hotel is within walking distance of the Royal Shakespeare Company. I wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014