“A break from the norm...”

Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel
Nottingham
“A break from the norm...”
Reviewed 27 July 2009

I don't suppose it harmed the experience to have been given a free upgrade by The Shakespeare, but this hotel does offer a little more in the way of attention to detail than the norm.

Our wedding anniversary was the reason for this break and the hotel kindly upgraded us to a four-poster suite (rooms 101/102). Very spacious, well presented and with bags of individual character too. I think the last point is what really sets this hotel apart from the competition - at no point do you feel as though you're in anything remotely like a chain.

Located quite centrally within the town centre, but just off the busiest roads, there's a great mix of ideal location and quiet evenings.

If I had to pick fault then it would be nit-picking really, but the TVs were old and sounded quite 'tinny' with the volume raised and there's no mod-con Sky channels etc, but I didn't travel to Stratford-upon-Avon to look at the television so it wasn't an issue for me.

We only ate breakfast at the Shakespeare and it was of a good standard, but I have been more impressed by other offerings in this price bracket. There's a good choice of cereals, fruit and juices etc and although there's an equally good selection of hot food, I'm not a big fan of the 'you choose it, we serve it' style they offer - I would much prefer the buffet style breakfasts of other chains. I had to wonder if the price of baked beans was known, since they appear to have been rationed..!

The waiting staff were very attentive and exceptionally polite. Likewise the reception team.

We returned later in the evening to have a final drink in the bar, but I'm quite glad it was only one. The cost was extortionately high (I know hotel prices are generally higher than the norm, but if they want to attract me to stay, 3 x that norm is just akin to taking advantage in my opinion). One of the bar staff didn't even know what kind of drink 'Southern Comfort' was.

A tiny point and one that certainly didn't have any impact on our stay, but if you're going to charge the earth...

The stay overall was great though and I would happily recommend this hotel (even WITHOUT an upgrade) and if this is typical of the Mercure chain then they must have some fine hotels on their books.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 16 July 2009

This is a great hotel, great location and really friendly staff. The hotel is right in the town centre and you can walk to all the shops and museums. The food was excellent and the service second to none, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice weekend away.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your time to write this review. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and all that Stratford-upon-Avon has to offer.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Tunbridge Wells
Reviewed 14 July 2009

The Mercure Shakespeare is a lovely old building right in the centre of Stratford. My room was well-appointed, clean, comfortable and fairly spacious, looking out on Chapel Street -- which may be a problem for light sleepers, especially in the early morning with street sweeping vehicles and delivery lorries revving up. The hotel itself is actually rather elegant, albeit slightly faded, with extensive lounges on the ground floor furnished with comfy chairs. If you like oak beams and a dark, oldy-worldy atmosphere, you'll like this place. What you won't like is paying £15 for breakfast and £10 to park your car. (Parking seems to be an 'issue' in Stratford.) And you probably won't like the hotel bar, which is, as other reviewers have observed, rather joyless. The grumpy grey-haired woman who held the fort when I called in for a nightcap seemed to be tending the bar under protest. The staff at the desk were similarly unwelcoming. Next time I come up to Stratford, I might return to the Mercure Shakespeare, but, looking at Trip Advisor's reviews of accommodation in the town, I'm fairly sure I would get better value for money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Bristol
Reviewed 25 June 2009

I've stayed in a few hotels in Stratford and this one is my least favourite. Although its a lovely period building in a historic town the inside decor is a bit drab, and my bedroom was pretty depressing with a tiny TV (14" at a push) and dreary furnishings. It was somewhat tasteful though, so maybe older clientele might not mind. I was on business so I guess on holiday a TV etc doesn't matter.
I wouldn't stay here with a car, no parking except for a select number who dont mind tight spaces, or paying £10 per night. I was a bit annoyed to be offered a newspaper (free in all other hotels I've stayed in) which cost me £1 on the bill, 10p more than the cost! For a hotel that expensive they seem to like adding more on.
The highlight was my evening meal, delicious Tapas dishes. So my recommendation would be to eat there and sleep somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 May 2009

I'm not a fan of the Mercure hotel chain, and this one reminded me why.
As a Mercure, we werent expecting too much of this hotel, but the position was the deciding factor. We also chose this particular hotel as we thought the kids would get a kick out of staying in a Tudor building and having a four poster bed.
Wrong.
I booked this hotel seven months ahead and confirmed the actual suites by phone at time of internet booking, and again before we left for Europe. I called again two days before we arrived, just to make sure that they had the four poster suites reserved and was assured they were.
On arrival, we were checked in and told that we had been allocated rooms in the Garrick wing on the second floor which is a separate building,out the back, across the car park. We were also told that there was no parking left and we would have to go to a parking station a few streets away.
The rooms were cheap highway motel style and not very clean - thick layer of dust on everything and mould in the fridge - not a four-poster bed in sight.
The receptionist didn't bother to say that they weren't suites, but just charged me the higher price for the suites I booked and put us in a lower grade of room.
When I queried this, I was told that the hotel was booked out and I couldn't have the rooms I booked and paid for.
She did however, say that she would send someone to help with our luggage. He arrived about 15-20 minutes later... after we had carried it all upstairs ourselves (no elevator).
I called again and complained about the rooms (The toenail cuttings on the bathroom floor were just too gross!!) and this time the manager called back and apologised and promised that we would be moved to a suite the next day and refunded the difference for tonight.
The next afternoon, we arrived back from sightseeing to find we had indeed been moved to the suites in the main building. The kid's twin bedded suite was good - large and spacious with a separate living area - but no four poster.
Our room had a four poster bed and little else as the room was half the size of the original motel room and was approximately the size of a postage stamp and horribly dark. A few decent lightbulbs wouldn't go astray.
How they can get away with calling this a suite, defies imagination. It is also fortunate that Stratford is a relatively safe town, as there were no locks on the windows and they easily pushed up from the outside.
All in all, it was a most disappointing stay, but fortunately, the attractions of the region made up for it somewhat. They did credit me back the differences as promised, but that really does not excuse the hotel of not honouring a confirmed booking - it reeks of laziness and disorganisation
As a small saving grace, the hotel restaurant, Othello's, is excellent. The food was really exceptional and the staff pleasant and efficient.
As for the hotel itself, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank wanderingbear
Perry
Reviewed 14 April 2009

We had a fantastic two night stay in the Mercure after getting a very good deal at hotel.com, with breakfast included. The hotel looks great on the outside and inside didn't disappoint either, with lovely oak beams and a roaring fire. The room was a reasonable size, with a good bathroom and even a fridge to keep the bubbly cool! The only negative I can think of is the very squeeky floorboards.

Breakfast was top notch, with no long wait as noted in some other reviews. The service during breakfast was quick, friendly and attentive which really made the stay special. The car park is quite small, but we managed to get a space both days, but you can get tokens from reception for the NCP round the corner (£5 a day) if needed.

All in all a great hotel for a flying visit to Stratford. We will certainly be visiting again!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank The_Fowlers_Perry
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to place a writea positive review here on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and all that Stratford-upon-Avon has to offer.

I hope to welcome back to The Mercure Shakespeare Hotel in the future.

bristol
Reviewed 9 March 2009

we have visited stratford on a regular basis but this is the first time we have stayed in this hotel. It was lovely, very reasonable and the location was perfect. the breakfast was included and once we got it - a very long wait - it was good. I can recommend the curry house opposite the hotel, it was fab.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your positive review and your kind comments about the hotel. I am pleased that you have enjoyed the hotel and Stratford-upon-Avon.

I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.