“EXCELLENT POSITION, CLEAN AND ROOMY”

Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel
Kaitaia
“EXCELLENT POSITION, CLEAN AND ROOMY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

Had stayed in this hotel about 20 years ago and nothing much had changed.
Room was very spacious and quiet, restaurant not too good on breakfast selection. But a good hotel location wise. Liked the old world feeling and wobbly floors etc.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us on the Tripadvisor website. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered.

We do take pride in our service standards and we will take your comments on board to improve the guest experience going forward.

I hope this will not deter you from returning to The Mercure Shakespeare Hotel in the future.

Marnix Teeken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

This is the 2nd time we have been here and it is wonderful. We had a bad experience at another hotel and booked in here last minute (after a bad night at the 1st one - on our honeymoon!) The staff were so friendly and helpful and the rooms practical and full of character. Breakfast is gorgeous too! Definately worth a stay, especially if you are a Shakespeare fan! Also very good ammenites - only a few steps from fantastic restaurants and about 5 minute walke to the theatre. Excellent!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your positive review and your kind comments about the hotel. I am pleased that you have enjoyed the hotel and Stratford-upon-Avon.

I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Rochdale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

We stayed in this hotel for one night on Sunday 30th Aug. The young man behind reception was barely audible and we found it difficult to tell what he was saying. He asked us if we would like a room in the front of the hotel, which was the old part, or at the back in the new part. He said the rooms at the front were noisier, due to traffic, so as I am a light sleeper, we opted for a room at the back.

The room itself was OK, quite small, just enough room to walk around the bed, tea and coffee making facilities, no mini bar, just an empty fridge; a small portable TV with some Sky channels. However, it was clean and so was the bathroom, but if you are 5ft 12 + you would be hitting your head on the ceiling especially in the shower.

The room itself was fine apart from the temperature. If you like sleeping in saunas, this is for you. The room had air con, but you couldn't alter the temp??? If you had the air con on, every few minutes it sounded like someone had turned a hand dryer on in the room! Very loud. So it was stifling, even with the window open all night. So being the light sleeper I am, I had to use ear plugs, due to the air con! There was a fan in the room, which should have given this away I suppose.

The bar is expensive as well, a Tia Maria and coke and a small port was £7.50!

On checking out, the same young man was on reception on his own, with a queue of 4 people and no help, somebody came eventually.

The car parking in the hotel is £5, but I would park in the NCP as we did, as though it advertised the price as £10 for 24 hours, if you apid in the hotel you got it for £5.

All in all, we wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Briefcaseman
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

What a disappointment! We arrived, weary, and got neither eye contact at reception, nor any offer to help us up the stairs with our bags. My tiny room had a long, and apparently ancient, crack across the bowl of the washbasin, and black chips out of the enamel of the bath. Breakfast was slow and grim. The staff seemed edgy, and frightened of doing anything wrong, but even so, it was hard to get even the most routine requirement (eg milk) seen to. There must have been some management going on behind the scenes, but hard to see evidence of it on a level where it related to customers. Still no eye contact on paying up and leaving -- no good wishes for our onward journey, or suggestion that we might return one day. And of course, we won't, and neither will anyone else from our company. And this was not cheap. Overall, it felt rather like visiting eastern Europe before the Iron Curtain came down.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business

Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

I don't suppose it harmed the experience to have been given a free upgrade by The Shakespeare, but this hotel does offer a little more in the way of attention to detail than the norm.

Our wedding anniversary was the reason for this break and the hotel kindly upgraded us to a four-poster suite (rooms 101/102). Very spacious, well presented and with bags of individual character too. I think the last point is what really sets this hotel apart from the competition - at no point do you feel as though you're in anything remotely like a chain.

Located quite centrally within the town centre, but just off the busiest roads, there's a great mix of ideal location and quiet evenings.

If I had to pick fault then it would be nit-picking really, but the TVs were old and sounded quite 'tinny' with the volume raised and there's no mod-con Sky channels etc, but I didn't travel to Stratford-upon-Avon to look at the television so it wasn't an issue for me.

We only ate breakfast at the Shakespeare and it was of a good standard, but I have been more impressed by other offerings in this price bracket. There's a good choice of cereals, fruit and juices etc and although there's an equally good selection of hot food, I'm not a big fan of the 'you choose it, we serve it' style they offer - I would much prefer the buffet style breakfasts of other chains. I had to wonder if the price of baked beans was known, since they appear to have been rationed..!

The waiting staff were very attentive and exceptionally polite. Likewise the reception team.

We returned later in the evening to have a final drink in the bar, but I'm quite glad it was only one. The cost was extortionately high (I know hotel prices are generally higher than the norm, but if they want to attract me to stay, 3 x that norm is just akin to taking advantage in my opinion). One of the bar staff didn't even know what kind of drink 'Southern Comfort' was.

A tiny point and one that certainly didn't have any impact on our stay, but if you're going to charge the earth...

The stay overall was great though and I would happily recommend this hotel (even WITHOUT an upgrade) and if this is typical of the Mercure chain then they must have some fine hotels on their books.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

This is a great hotel, great location and really friendly staff. The hotel is right in the town centre and you can walk to all the shops and museums. The food was excellent and the service second to none, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice weekend away.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your time to write this review. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and all that Stratford-upon-Avon has to offer.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Tunbridge Wells
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

The Mercure Shakespeare is a lovely old building right in the centre of Stratford. My room was well-appointed, clean, comfortable and fairly spacious, looking out on Chapel Street -- which may be a problem for light sleepers, especially in the early morning with street sweeping vehicles and delivery lorries revving up. The hotel itself is actually rather elegant, albeit slightly faded, with extensive lounges on the ground floor furnished with comfy chairs. If you like oak beams and a dark, oldy-worldy atmosphere, you'll like this place. What you won't like is paying £15 for breakfast and £10 to park your car. (Parking seems to be an 'issue' in Stratford.) And you probably won't like the hotel bar, which is, as other reviewers have observed, rather joyless. The grumpy grey-haired woman who held the fort when I called in for a nightcap seemed to be tending the bar under protest. The staff at the desk were similarly unwelcoming. Next time I come up to Stratford, I might return to the Mercure Shakespeare, but, looking at Trip Advisor's reviews of accommodation in the town, I'm fairly sure I would get better value for money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo