We stayed at Mercure Shakespeare Hotel in October with my husband. Hotel being old style - wattle and daub, Stratford located is not expected to be equipped and designed in a modern way. We like this kind of style however for the price paid we expected cleaner room, less worn out furniture (chair upholstery torn). Tiles in toilet coming off and more.
In general warm cosy place. We had a standard double. We loved the communal areas, the sitting area, fireplace, nice high chairs, sofas, relaxing melodies. To my surprise the rooms are very warm although the heating was off.
The mattres seemed to be oldish and felt tired/back pain in the morning.
The morning staff at the breakfast were excellent. There is a nice lady whose name is Anna. She's very helpful and good with children too. Very attentive but not officious. She seemed to be there during the whole stay of ours.
We had both continental and full English served. I was not happy with mushrooms but my husband loved them at the same time. The little jam jars were cute but well to sweet.
Both of us did not like receptionist, she seemed to be annoyed sitting behind the desk and would put this fake smile and then drop her face down the very next second. We don't need that attitude.
Luckily we did not have to refer to the reception more than during c/i and c/o.
However from a hotel such as Mercure I would expect better customer service. When attending business trips I often stay at Ibis or Etap and staff seems to be much more helpful and enthusiastic. I remember being a receptionist myself at some budget hotel and the hygiene standards were much higher. There was lots of dust around radiators, windows etc.
Manager seemed to be overwhelmed with his position and stressed too. He would chat to guests he knows and ignore those he doesn't. He completely ignored complaint from one customer.
We had a couple of things to complain about but as it was our celebration we thought there is no need to stress the staff and ourselves with thing we can cope with and instead we decided to fully enjoy our days and evenings out.
Stratford is beautiful but is well commercialised too. In a traditional Birtish shop first thing you come across is 'turkish delight' that puts you off from paying extra for products that are made in China (cashmere pullovers etc).
You have a variety of high street shops, there arent too many locals, typical traditional places until unless on your weekend off from big town you fancy debenhams. I do not criticise it, variety of such shops is very convenient. I would appreciate more original, local cafes instead you get Nero, Costa and Starbucks ;)
overall I'll be coming back to Stratford and Mercure as its central location and overall experience is satisfactory.
I am bit picky as for food reason being my husband is an excellent cook and hardly anyone beats him in this category.
car park is 10 pounds which is ok, could be free but what is free these days anyway?:)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star Tudor hotel with 74 ensuite rooms located in the centre of Shakespeare's Stratford. Ideal for exploring local villages, the Cotswolds, shops and theatres of Stratford. 19 miles from Birmingham International Airport, 1 mile from Stratford upon Avonstation, 10 miles from Warwick Parkway station. Easily accessible via the M40. David Garrick Restaurant, Othello's Bar Brassiere, Quill Bar and Lounge, 6 conference rooms with natural light for up to 100 delegates. Limited parking at GBP10.00 per day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, ACCOR, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Stratford Upon Avon
- Accor Stratford Upon Avon
- Shakespeare Hotel Stratford