“cosy typical wattle and daub style building, romantic”

Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel
Reviewed 7 November 2010

We stayed at Mercure Shakespeare Hotel in October with my husband. Hotel being old style - wattle and daub, Stratford located is not expected to be equipped and designed in a modern way. We like this kind of style however for the price paid we expected cleaner room, less worn out furniture (chair upholstery torn). Tiles in toilet coming off and more.
In general warm cosy place. We had a standard double. We loved the communal areas, the sitting area, fireplace, nice high chairs, sofas, relaxing melodies. To my surprise the rooms are very warm although the heating was off.
The mattres seemed to be oldish and felt tired/back pain in the morning.

The morning staff at the breakfast were excellent. There is a nice lady whose name is Anna. She's very helpful and good with children too. Very attentive but not officious. She seemed to be there during the whole stay of ours.
We had both continental and full English served. I was not happy with mushrooms but my husband loved them at the same time. The little jam jars were cute but well to sweet.

Both of us did not like receptionist, she seemed to be annoyed sitting behind the desk and would put this fake smile and then drop her face down the very next second. We don't need that attitude.
Luckily we did not have to refer to the reception more than during c/i and c/o.
However from a hotel such as Mercure I would expect better customer service. When attending business trips I often stay at Ibis or Etap and staff seems to be much more helpful and enthusiastic. I remember being a receptionist myself at some budget hotel and the hygiene standards were much higher. There was lots of dust around radiators, windows etc.

Manager seemed to be overwhelmed with his position and stressed too. He would chat to guests he knows and ignore those he doesn't. He completely ignored complaint from one customer.

We had a couple of things to complain about but as it was our celebration we thought there is no need to stress the staff and ourselves with thing we can cope with and instead we decided to fully enjoy our days and evenings out.

Stratford is beautiful but is well commercialised too. In a traditional Birtish shop first thing you come across is 'turkish delight' that puts you off from paying extra for products that are made in China (cashmere pullovers etc).

You have a variety of high street shops, there arent too many locals, typical traditional places until unless on your weekend off from big town you fancy debenhams. I do not criticise it, variety of such shops is very convenient. I would appreciate more original, local cafes instead you get Nero, Costa and Starbucks ;)

overall I'll be coming back to Stratford and Mercure as its central location and overall experience is satisfactory.

I am bit picky as for food reason being my husband is an excellent cook and hardly anyone beats him in this category.

car park is 10 pounds which is ok, could be free but what is free these days anyway?:)

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your positive review here on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back to The Mercure Shakespeare Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 6 November 2010

We stayed at the Mecure Shakespeare for 3 nights and it was one of the highlights of our trip. From the moment we set eyes on the hotel we were impressed. The building itself is the classic wattle-and-daub with led-light windows. The reception area is instantly warm and inviting with lots of cosy areas with high-backed chairs, open fire-places, exposed oak beams. The room was sensational, overlooking Chapel Street which is as central as you could get. The staff were very attentive and friendly. The only draw backs we could note were that the free WiFi didn't work from the room. The only place it seemed to work was the Othello bar... essentially a 5m x 5m area of the hotel. Parking was also via a public parking station that was a few hundred metres up the road and round the corner. But the rest of the experience just dwarfs these 2 inconveniences and we had a fantastic time. We would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your time to write this review. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and all that Stratford-upon-Avon has to offer.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 5 November 2010

My wife and I very much enjoyed our visit to this historic hotel. The location is excellent with all the local attractions in easy walking distance. The room that we had on the first floor was clean and comfortable and all the staff that we met were friendly and helpful. Food and service in the restaurant in the evening was of first class quality, as were all aspects of breakfast the following morning. The car park is convenient, but I have to agree with other reviewers that the £10 parking fee is disappointing and a hotel group of their size and quality should think again. I'm therefore pleased to say that apart from that, there were no problems and certainly no complaints from some very happy customers.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind words. It is very much appreciated and my team is delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Mercure Shakespeare Hotel
Stratford-upon-avon

Reviewed 3 November 2010

Visited this hotel last week and was very disappointed with the food. Unfortunately the visit was to meet a very sick relative and various members of our family called in at the Shakespeare Hotel as it was central. We sat in the bar area in front of a lovely fire all afternoon whilst various members of the family came and went. My brother in law was too poorly to go and sit in the restaurant so we ordered a snack for everyone where we were sitting.. Service whilst very polite and professional when we were eventually served, could only be had by one of us going to find the waiter. We had to do this at least six times during the afternoon although the hotel was very quiet. We asked for some steak sandwiches which my poorly friend fancied but were told that was not possible (despite both rib-eye and fillet being on the menu) so we went for the paninies which came and were served with bought in frozen chips and bought in coleslaw and very poor salad garnish.The bacon also very salty.For breakfast we ordered full-English. The buffet counter was fine for the fresh fruit, cerials etc. but the breakfast had broiled now black (from standing) mushrooms, greasy deap fried bread, greasy pototo rosti, poor quality sausage, baked beans, undercooked fried egg , black pudding and tomato. The meal was large and unappetising - even overfacing. It reminded me of a Transport Cafe for hungry long distance drivers rather than a smart hotel in the middle of Stratford. So I'm afraid we were all disappointed. We spoke to the very smart looking manager after breakfast which was the first time we had seen a senior member of staff. He advised me he was the General Manager and listened to my complaint. He said he had tried the mushrooms and " they were fine." He clearly was missing the whole point and I did not feel my complaint went down very well as he left to talk to another customer who he obviously knew and was not complaining!

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2010

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your time writing this review on Tripadvisor and I would like to apologise once more for not meeting your standards with especially the quality of our breakfast.

I am sorry that you feel that I left you speaking to another guest, but I was in the understanding that our conversation was at an end after I adjusted your bill as a gesture of our goodwill.

Your comments have already been discussed with the Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager and we are grateful for your constructive feedback. This is helping us to improve our offering and service levels.

I sincerly hope that your brother in law is feeling better and we hope to welcome the both of you back to The Mercure Shakespeare Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 1 November 2010

We stayed here some 12 years ago and were looking forward to returning. The hotel has an excellent location right in the centre of the town however there is no doubt that it is in need of some TLC. We booked a junior suite and it would be wrong to say it was dirty but frankly it was in need of a good clean and decoration to make it worth the price charged.
Staff on reception were frankly very poor my discontent at being charged £10 an night for parking my car as a guest went unheard. I know its in the small print but who should have to pay to stay at a hotel. I was told to put it on the street or in an NCP how does that help me in and out of the room?
I would also suggest one aviod's the buffet buffet breakfast which at 9.30 am was frankly stale, on the second day I had one of the fresh options that was really good.

If you love old properties and log fires this has it in spades however I live in a similar aged property and expected alot more from a hotel charging these prices.
Great shame as it spoils a short break that we all look forward to in our busy lives

1  Thank Bargeeboy
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us on the Tripadvisor website. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered.

We do take pride in our service standards and we will take your comments on board to improve the guest experience going forward.

I hope this will not deter you from returning to The Mercure Shakespeare Hotel in the future.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 1 November 2010

We stayed for 2 nights having booked on the late rooms "Secret Room" deal. Having read previous reviews we were a bit apprehensive but figured we only had to sleep there if it was bad! However we were very impressed with the hotel - the staff were efficient and friendly, the general decor and layout of the public areas was cosy and relaxing, and the room, while compact, was immaculate and well equipped. The hotel is superbly located, and while the car park was on the small side (we were fortunate as someone left just as we pulled in) the fact is unless you're planning on going out of the town while you're there you can simply park up and know your car is safe until you chack out.

On the down sides - the car park is charged at £10 a day (not a huge issue to us as we'd got such a good deal on the room rate). The hair dryer in the room is securely fastened to the dressing table yet there was no mirror anywhere near to help when trying to style tidily, and there was a serious lack of hot water at peak times - even to the point that the water stopped flowing at all out of the hot tap!! Had we been staying for longer we would have complained on this issue but we are very aware of the normal excuses (old building, peak time of day etc etc) and couldn't be bothered to put a negative slant on our stay having both finally succeeded in having a bath/shower at some point in the day.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this great review. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are aware that sometimes at very busy times we have a limited water resource over a short period of time.

This issue has been idebtified and a new water pump and holding tank have been ordered and will be installed the beginning of December. I have been advised that these two measures will ensure that even at the peak times we can deliver a good flow of warm water.

I hope to welcome you back at the Mercure Shakespeare Hotel in the near future.

Mercure Shakespeare Hotel
Stratford-upon-Avon

Reviewed 17 October 2010

This was our second stay here and we thoroughly enjoyed (almost) everything about this hotel. It scores top marks (and more) for location, atmosphere and character. Service and facilities are also great, as is the food served in the excellent Othello brasserie.

The building, ambience and overall experience are really not things that can be readily purchased - special, special, special!

The only downsides are: (1) having to pay for the car park; (2) the possiblity of being placed in the outer (Garrick) wing - i.e. not in the main hotel building - without being informed of this at the time of booking (the Garrick wing is lovely but it does come as something of a surprise if you do not know of this until you check in); and (3) the early closing time of the bar and the seeming lack of enthusiasm of staff to serve guests after the bar has officially shut.

In the scheme of things, however, these points are very minor. This is a wonderful hotel and one that I hope to return to many, many times in the future. If you're after a true 'Stratford' experience, with easy access to theatres and inns, there really is nowhere better, in my opinion, than this beautiful historic building in the very centre of the town.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blytonesque

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your great feedback. Your comments are very helpful in improving our service levels and increasing our attention to detail. We are using these comments at our daily morning meetings and departmental meetings.

Please contact me on your next visit to the hotel and I look forward to meet you personally.