“Easy access for town attractions”
Review of The Applegarth

The Applegarth
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

B&B nice clean fresh rooms comfortable beds within walking distance of all the tourist attractions. The town seems to have livened up since the council ripped the heart out of it by destroying all the motorbike parking in front of the Theatre. B&B has amp-full parking very important as the council also operate a zero tolerance policy to motorists even in car parks. Although if you feel your in the right appeal it and they will retract to keep their costs down. Only thing I would add is the B&B could mark out its spaces clearer to get cars in. Waterside venues all within easy walking distance. Good for a night out at the RSC.

Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 5 August 2014

No frills, no broken promises, just a nice roomy and comfortable stay. Ideally located to stroll into the fabulous centre of Stratford upon Avon. Plenty of safe parking on the premises and room amenities work well. The breakfast choice is very good and tastes rather yummy. Owner more than willing to make whatever you fancy. Bucket chairs and coffee table to relax in. Would definitely use again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the Guest House are generous but some traffic noise at busy times can be tires...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jean A
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed for a week, as a single in a double room.

I booked online, and within half an hour, had a phone call to tell me that the room I wanted wasn't available. Maybe the booking system needs modernising, as it was showing as available, so I was put into an upper floor room.

I arrived at about 19:00 on Monday evening, and when the door was finally opened, it was by a borderline hostile gent. I introduced myself. He looked me up and down, and asked whether I was alone, which I replied I was. He basically sniffed at me, intimating that I was wrong, before checking his booking sheet. He then asked where I was parked, and to cut a long story short, he doubted my ability to park a car before going on to moan about the other guests parking. Great start.

I filled out a registration card, before being told breakfast started at 8am. I expressed disappointment, as I need to be leaving for work by 07:45, at which point he grumbled that I could come down at 07:30, and they'd see what they could do. Maybe the website could indicate this arrangement.

The room, #5, is on the ground floor, at the front of the property. It is a reasonably sized bay fronted window, facing onto the main road, which quietens down at about 23:30, and livens up at about 05:30. The net curtains afford almost no privacy as the young lady who was watering the hanging baskets immediately outside my window will probably attest.

With any window open, the traffic noise is very loud and constant. Even with ear plugs, which I always carry with me, it is unpleasant. With the windows shut, it is OK.

The room was fine. Tea tray, basic TV with satellite, and a very comfortable bed. Aside from the bed, the room was tired and soulless. Not a place to spend much time. Paint colours other than magnolia do exist. It was cleaned daily, and was very clean.

I arrived down for breakfast at 07:30, expecting to be disappointed. The lady serving was polite and breakfast was very good. The cold selection is broad, and the food was quickly prepared, with good quality sausages and bacon. A very good start to each day. She was polite rather than warm and welcoming, though to others that she knew, clearly charming.

On the second day, the (owner?) was stood just out of sight, moaning about other guests - who had been talking in the hallway. Imagine that. Talking... How unpleasant, bitter and un-necessary to stand griping about the people paying for accommodation.

The wifi is pitiful. I never got about 0.5mb, from times of day ranging from 05:30, 19:00 and midnight. It was routinely less than 0.2mb.

A 3 minute walk to the RSC, and Thai Kingdom, 2 doors up, is worth a visit.

At £62 per night for a single in a double room, it needs to be better, or at least welcoming.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ed L
Reviewed 8 July 2014

With its location (five minutes walk to the RSC theatres), free parking, comfortable rooms, friendly welcome and great breakfasts I always return to the Applegarth when I'm in Stratford for some Shakespeare.

It is great value for money too and whilst its not a "luxury" hotel its perfect for me.

I'll be back again next month.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This property is in a great location and has reasonable parking facilities.
Check in was quick`I was given a room next to the reception which at times could be noisy.
The room was basic but clean the bathroom was small with a shower which was poor there was no pressure coming from the shower head.
With the room being on the ground floor and situated on a main road the noise was constant until well past 11pm.
The breakfast was really good and the the staff were very pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room round the back .
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank hilton1
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We needed a place to stay for two nights whilst celebrating my brother's birthday in Stratford-upon-Avon - and The Applegarth certainly didn't disappoint! We were warmly welcomed by Peter into the guest house, we found our room clean and well furnished.

The breakfast was excellent, I am a bit picky but this was no bother for the staff to sort. We wanted to sit as a table of four (two rooms together) and they ensured this was possible for us.

The only issue for me was the quality of sleep when in a room at the front of the guest house (it is on the ring road); however, this does mean you are exceptionally well positioned to walk virtually anywhere in the town centre!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We spent 4 nights here in June 2014. The B&B is quite large with many rooms so lacks the personal touch. Its situated between busy roads so no open windows at night, but very easy to get in and out of the city. Very clean. Excellent breakfasts. The stairs are amazingly steep and it's always a pain trying to drag luggage upstairs, more so if they're steep. It's an easy walk to the town, info centre and a nice walk along the canal. We spent several days exploring the Cotswolds which was fabulous. The benefit of off street parking is valuable. Unsure if we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple