We stayed at the Barcelo Billesley Manor for two nights in March 2011. The room was very spacious with a dressing-room area.
Beware of dinner – we were asked on checking in if we’d like a table for dinner. Having travelled several hours we didn’t want to get back in the car and go out again so agreed to a table for dinner. We sat by a lovely log fire with a G&T while looking through the menu - no prices on it (gives a clue perhaps!) When we asked the price it was £37.50 per person for three courses. Normally we would only eat two courses but this was three courses, no other option, so we went for it. The food was OK, quite average but nothing to write home about, so to speak. The service was good although almost every member of staff is Polish – nothing against this, don’t get me wrong, they were wonderful and all spoke excellent English and were extremely attentive, and smart and professional.
So, dinner, to sum up was £37.50 each plus a bottle of wine, the cheapest at £18 odd made a bill of best part of £100!!!! There is a pub less than half a mile away that would undoubtedly have cost a lot less and indeed a Wetherspoons in Stratford where we ate the second night for less than £15 for the two of us including a pint of Guiness and a glass of merlot and was excellent.
Our room was in the outbuildings, previously a barn I imagine. The night’s sleep was good in a lovely comfy bed, a “Hypnos” bed, well known for quality and comfort apparently. Ours was a “zip&link” so two 3ft beds zipped together with a very thick, cosy mattress protector on top, superb!
A major disappointment was a large old-fashioned TV that only had the basic five terrestial channels, archaic really! Wi-fi was available but not free. The plumbing was extremely noisy when we turned on our cold tap – in fact it was possible to play a tune on it but I’m sure our neighbours didn’t appreciate it! To be serious, we had no noise whatsoever through the walls or ceiling, it was remarkably quiet (apart from the plumbing!).
Now we move on to breakfast – this is buffet style with cold plates and lukewarm food, mushrooms of the tinned or frozen variety, eggs well congealed, bacon – what bacon? “Oh sorry, we ran out of bacon so chef has gone to the local shop to buy some, it will be ready in a few minutes”!!! It wasn’t though … toast was served along with lukewarm tea and coffee as soon as we were seated. In balance there was plenty of cereal, croissants (excellent!) and fresh fruit on offer so you would never leave hungry.
We used the spa - pool, sauna and steam room only – all no problem, very pleasant. Perhaps the best feature of this entire stay was the Adonis-like male member of staff who draped himself about around the pool while off-duty, reading the paper and taking a dip –mmmm – certainly made my stay worth it!!!
Would I recommend this hotel? Yes of course, especially when it’s on a special offer (as it was for us) such as two nights for the price of one – even better, look out for the offer that includes dinner on the first night!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 16th Century, four-star Billesley Manor Hotel has 72 bedrooms and sits in 11 acres of beautiful countryside just outside the medieval town of Stratford-Upon-Avon. Visit the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, discover the myths and magic of Warwick Castle, then enjoy a quiet moment in the hotel’s library, where legend claims that Shakespeare penned As You Like It.A beautiful country retreat with a Health & Leisure Club that features an indoor pool and outdoor tennis court. The hotel also has a listed 100-year-old topiary garden and fountain. The 2 AA Rosette Stuart Restaurant serves modern British food made from seasonal, local produce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Lastminute, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Billesley Manor Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Stratford Upon Avon
- Stratford Upon Avon Barcelo