“not like the old days”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Reviewed 14 June 2011

This used to be a truly grand, posh place, and still gives that impression; but since Barcelo took over it seems a different standard is applied; service, cleanliness not up to normal standards.
Insist on a top quality room in the main hotel, if you can.

Room Tip: ground floor, main hotel
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank izziebon
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2011

I would like to thank you for your feedback, we are always trying to improve our product and we have invested been investing in the property in order to so.

If you are visiting the area again in the future, please contact me directly and we will make sure you have a good stay with us, we would like the opportunity to show you the changes we have done.

Reviewed 14 June 2011

Billesley manor is a beautiful country house set in grounds with an amazing topiary. The outer façade of the buildings have been renovated and it looks inviting. However, thereafter the "façade" stops, Inside the reception is small and you reach your room through a maze of narrow corridors which are neither quaint nor in keeping with the building style. We did at least have a sideways view of the Topiary and no doubt if you are booking into one of the feature rooms you'll have a stunning view from your room. Our room was a double room in serious need of some TLC. The mother earth colour scheme was too "underground" and durgey in overall effect (the designer needs shooting) and the housekeeping team have certainly not been informing maintenance of room problems. Wallpaper was scuffed on corners, the bathroom tiles were cracked, bathroom light fixing broken. The designer glass bowl sink was badly chipped, and filthy underneath around the plug hole. Worse still when we went out that evening there was only one tiny sign on the reception desk informing you of the code needed to open the barrier at the end of the long drive. Despite telling the receptionist that we were going out, he failed to draw our attention to this and we ended up having to reverse about 1/6 mile back down the drive to find out how to get out - there wasn't even an intercom at the barrier. We won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Pay for a feature room - might be better
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anne_2819

First of all, please accept my apologies for inconveniences you experienced during your stay and thank you for posting your feedback.

As you have mentioned Billesley Manor is an Old Elizabethan Manor with many extensions and the links between the buildings and narrow corridors as you described, unfortunately during the renovations it was not possible to change them. With regards to the bedrooms, there are different types of rooms in the Manor; some have been refurbished and some still retain the 'old character' of the house. We always try to ensure our customers are satisfied with their rooms and if needed, we offer a room change when available; we have taken your comment on board and a plan has been scheduled to lift the rooms that have not been refurbished.

The code for the exit barrier is given to our guests on their arrival so they can use it when going out, this is our normal standard and I can only apologise if it was not the case during your visit. I can confirm that training has been carried out to ensure we give to our costumers all the time.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We held are wedding at the Billesley Manor Hotel on Easter Monday and can honestly say that from the first contact with the Hotel and Naomi Wickes the Wedding Co-ordinator we could have asked no more. The service and advice we received was first class; the planning accurate and detailed; and the execution perfect. Our Wedding which was conducted in the Great Hall had 42 Guests, with a number staying overnight. Our day included the Wedding Ceremony; the Wedding Breakfast; and evening entertainment. An added plus is the fantastic gardens for the photos. Thank you Naomi and all the staff

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback after your Wedding Day at Billesley Manor. We are very pleased to hear that you and your guests had a fantastic day with us; Naomi was over the moon when she read the review and also would like to extend her thanks.

We hope to see you back at Billesley soon

Reviewed 12 June 2011

I went to Billesley Manor in June 2011 with my boyfriend for our first anniversary and it was perfect in every way. On arrival there was a wedding party having photos taken, the grounds here are a great backdrop for weddings and special occasions. The receptionist was friendly and efficient, we were booked in very quickly and then went to our room to check in. We were on the second floor in the manor house, the main building, and the room was very private, at the end of a long corridor. On entering the room we were impressed at the size and dimensions. The windows appeared to be originals, which could probably be rather draughty in the winter, however there is efficient central heating. The bathroom was very large and spotlessly clean. The furniture was elegant in the main bedroom and there were some nice additions, luxury robe and the usual tea/coffee tray. The bed was very comfortable, despite us thinking it was rather firm, we had a good night's sleep. The duvet and pillows were goosedown and just the right temperature for the time of year. Going to the restaurant on the evening we had excellent service from all staff, they were very attentive and engaged in casual conversation, enquiring about the reason for our visit etc. The meals were superb, almost too good to eat, the presentation being perfection on a plate. The following morning we had the cooked breakfast, possibly the only complaint I have is that it was not made fresh and served to me, however the quality of the breakfast was good and piping hot.
All in all we had an great visit and would most definitely come back.

1  Thank Anniew114

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Barceló Billesley Manor.

I was delighted to hear you had a great stay with us and that you found the team to be friendly and hotel facilities to be of a good standard. I have shared your comments with the team and they are all please to know they managed to make a difference to your stay.

Thank you again for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back at Billesley Manor, maybe for your second anniversary?

Reviewed 11 June 2011

My sister and I had planned a spa day here for some very much needed time out. We had been looking forward to this for months. On arrival at the spa, the reception lady was nice enough but there was no real welcome or pleasantries. We had to explain what we were there for and do all the talking. She offered us a coffee and gave us towells and locker keys. We asked for Robes which were supposed to be provided and she had to go off searching as she didn't think they had any! She showed us round briefly but was not enthusiastic. The changing area looked like my local public swimming pool and not what you would expect from a Hotel/Spa. For our first treatment we had to search around and ask where we were supposed to be. The facials were nice but cut short. There was no explanation about lunch and my sister went to ask and was met by a girl who I can only describe as having a face like a smacked backside and was complaining about her 10-6 shift to anyone who cared to listen. When I ordered food from this same girl, I asked for soft drinks and she told me I needed to speak to the girl next to her for drinks as she now had to take the order all the way to the kitchen! We then had an ''Aroma full body massage'' - no aroma in sight - other than a candle! When we asked about why it was called an aroma massage we got a big explanation about Swedish massage. We asked where the 'aroma' came into this massage and had no explanation. We begrudgingly paid but I will be writing a letter of complaint to the Manager. The attitude of the staff and lack of knowledge ruined our planned day - my advice? Don't bother using the Spa here and use your hard earned cash elsewhere.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MARNI99

I would like to reiterate my sincere apologies for the level of service you received at our Spa facilities and thank you again for your feedback and for your time over the phone to discuss your experience with us; as explained, we have taken your comments on board and retraining has been carried out to ensure there are no repetitions of the incidents you experienced and I am confident we will improve our service in the areas highlighted.

We hope to see you back again soon at Billesley Manor.

Reviewed 6 June 2011

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at this hotel as a friend was having their wedding here, the hotel and grounds look gorgeous however the service does not live up to the image. All of the wedding guests who had rooms booked were kept waiting a considerable length of time to check in due to the rooms not being ready, but the biggest concern was the infestation of bed bugs in our room, we were offered another room (much smaller) but chose not to spend the night after being put off!

4  Thank duffman1982

I would like to thank you for your review and apologise for the inconveniences you experienced during your visit to Billesley Manor; I would also like to point out our check in time to the rooms is 2.00pm, we always make every effort possible to have the rooms ready before then but sometimes it depends on how busy we were the day before however when customers request an early arrival before their arrival there are more chances to get the rooms ready on time.

After investigating the issues you had in your room, we corroborated that they were insect that are attracted from the ivy blossom which come out during this time of the year.

If you would like to discuss your comments any further, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Reviewed 4 June 2011

My husband and I have just returned from here and all I can say is thank goodness we didn't pay full price! We got a fantastic deal on LateRooms so can't grumble. The hotel looks fabulous as you come up the drive. It's just idyllic....then you walk inside.

My husband and I went to our bedroom and I couldn't stop laughing! The windows had to be opened striaght away as it smelt so musty and dusty. It definitely hadn't been aired since the hotel had been built! Would not be good for anyone with asthma! I had to shower at the pool as there was no way the shower was going to rinse shampoo from long hair. The TV was made in the 1980s and consequently didn't get the channels advertised in their brochure! The plug socket nearly came off the wall every time I unplugged my hair dryer and the wallpaper was coming off the walls in the bathroom.

The spa is unbelievable. The pool is lovely but the rest of it is iin desperate need of a clean and refurbishment. I had the unfortunate expenerince of the mens and ladies changing rooms being swapped. What an experinece. Those poor men! The shower was disgusting and looked like it had never been cleaned with filthy grouting. On the second day I was back in the ladies but the towels bin was over flowing onto the floor and the floor was filthy.

On our arrival day, we waited 20 mins at the bar for a drink and when my husband approached one member of staff to ak her for service she looked at hime and walked off! Breakfast was good but again the 2nd day they were drastically under staffed and the food had all but run our by 9am.

I did complain and the manger was helpful although not overly. His customer service was not too good although he did offer us a slight refund. He did tell me they are refurbishing at the moment. They were painting doorways while we were there but I thinki they need to change their priorites with their decorative work. He also told me lots of people love the traditional stlye. I have no issue with traditional style if it's clean and beautiful. This was not!

A real shame , a beautiful hotel with huge potential. Could be stunning.

3  Thank claireabelle247
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2011

Following your recent stay at Barcelo Billesley Manor, I was sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations; again please accept my sincere haplologies for the shortcoming you experienced during your stay.

As I mentioned to you over our conversation, we have not had any previous negative comments from the room you stayed and the problem with the plug socket was an unforeseen issue which has now been rectified.

I agree that the standards you experience on our Leisure Club are not our usual standards and I would like to reassure you that training has been carried out to avoid any repetition of these issues in the future.

I do hope we can have the opportunity to welcome you back at Billesley Manor so we can reinstate your faith on us.