“Beautiful Setting, Clean, Superb Service and Excellent Food”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Reviewed 2 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed as a special birthday treat and allocated a wonderful room in the converted cedar barns. Room was clean, incredible bathroom with great facilities. Grounds are so well maintained and was great for our dog to have a good run. Evening meal was excellent, along with pleasant and efficient service, set in a wonderful intimate dining room. Overall, a great short break and will definitely return again.

• Stayed: July 2012
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2012

Thank you for your positive review, I appreciate your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Kind regards

Reviewed 30 September 2012

Stayed with my wife over a Saturday evening as part of celebratory function, first impressions were optimistic - room large and well kept (18) but things went down hill thereafter.

Simply, the leisure facilities other than the pool needed maintenance, the mens changing room one of the showers out of order, the steam room drain blocked and smelly with a large pool of dirty cold water on its floor.

With the evening along with the weekend, booked months and months in advance - one would expect the hotel would plan to impress a group of well traveled, well heeled and a discernable customers with spending power, but perhaps the kitchen staff were having a bad day and also were short of food?

The starter
Comprised three small salad leaves, two small slices of tomato with mozarella cheese - so no real challenge there. Ooh and one roll stale and dried up.

The main meal
Had been pre-plated and kept warm and spoiled in a heated cabinet as the Beef (everyones) was scorched on top and the gravy/jus shrivelled away, to this add two small carot sticks or other veg plus a 25mm x 20mm x 80 mm piece of layonaise potato.

The sweet
A tiny piece of bought in cheese cake and one raspberry lost on the plate!

The cheese and biscuits thet followed, well one plate containing about 400-500g cheese, two tiny slithers of celery (not even one stick), a shot glass of grapes - about 6 of them plus eight cheese biscuits ALL between a table of 12 people. No butter was offered we had to ask for this plus more biscuits which came evntually afer all of the cheese had been consumed.

Coffee and tea followed but again one had to ask for a second cup etc..

Sunday Breakfast
Served in the same room as the function, conveyor belt style toaster did not work properly except with lots of intervention by user, buffet style hot items not presented nicely and well shriveled up in part. Again hard to get extra tea coffe etc with breakfast.

Outside
Paths and grass verges were weedy in the area of topiary and elswhere in the grounds. Empty ashtrays full of cigarette butts and water were left out by the tables and sveral of the tables were rotted and decaying.

It's a real shame the hotel has this great pleasing facade and a 'presence' but is very much let down by it's hotel services, really what would it have cost to put more biscuits out, or asked if the mael was acceptable etc., especiallly as I understand the meal mostly not enjoyed by the members of the group who dined on Friday evening was less than expected.

So in summary you might ask why I didn't complan? but would it have achieved anything? there were just so many things.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrew D

Thank you for your post on trip advisor detailing your thoughts about your Billesley Manor experience. Please accept my apologies that for you our Hotel was not up to our usual high standards of service and presentation. I was pleased to find out from the organiser that the event was enjoyed overall. Kind regards.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

if you are looking for a peaceful place to stay, within 10 minutes of Stratford Upon Avon city center, and central to surrounding local attraction, this is the place - what a great hotel our room and bathroom was huge, and roomy for a family of four, kids were able to play around without bumping into each other. The beds and pillows was just what we needed to rest on after a long day of sightseeing. Breakfast was great, we got what we needed for our hungry tanks. The kids enjoyed the tennis court and the maze like garden, where the kids spent a long time playing. The gym and yoga and swimming pool facilities were all free to guest, which was an added bonus. the inclusion of books (8 Sherlock Holmes books) in the room was just great and reintroduced my wife to reading again. The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful - We even had a power failure on one of the evenings due to a rain storm - this did not affect our stay at all - we enjoyed our stay and will return to the hotel when we are next in Stratford Upon Avon.

Room Tip: Get the room in the loft it is huge
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely review, I am pleased that you all had such a nice time and I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area. With so much to do in Stratford and the surrounding area we do find people visit again and again. Best wishes.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

This hotel is a peaceful residence and the building itself is a delight place to stay in. My elderly mother and I have been returning here for many years for short stays several times a year. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are large and comfortable with modern bathroom fittings. Stratford upon Avon is a wonderful shopping centre and anyone interested in Shakespeare has plenty to visit here, too. The dining hall , bar, lounge and breakfast rooms are panelled in dark wood providing an atmosphere of past times, comfort and grandeur. However it is time to renew the furniture. In colder seasons, there is an open fire and on sunny days, the grounds and terrace provide a warm sitting area. However, when wedding receptions take place here, there is too much noise around the place and too little space to escape the large number of guests in the hotel. The pool is one of my favourite places and recently, there is a set time for children to use it. leaving a peaceful spot for adults to occupy undisturbed.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are warmer. Ask for ground floor if you want it. Some ground floor rooms...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Elaine W

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay again. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

The stay at the Billesley Manor was a last min decision for a short break away that we researched by using Trip Advisor.

The appearance of the Manor on approaching was breath taking especially with the vintage cars all lined up outside the front. The room we were allocated was away from the main building in the renovated stable blocks - it was clean and comfortable, even if I was slightly disappointed to not be staying in the main building. But given the amount of foreign visitors I can understand why there was no room.

We used the spa area in the afternoon and enjoyed the steam room and sauna...the pool however was a little chilly.

We were unable to use the restaurant as my partner had only brought jeans with him and we were advised this would not fit the dress code, and were very helpfully advised of a few different eateries in the area. However when we chose to have a drink in the bar while waiting for the taxi before heading out we were a little miffed to see the number of guests wearing jeans and going through to the restaurant without issue. We did feel slightly excluded. But the welcome we received at the Bull Blue down the road made up for it.

Overall I would recommend the Billesley Manor...but take more than just jeans, unless you can arrive in a vintage car (then you'll probably be alright!)

Room Tip: Take smart clothes with you if you want to use the resturant as it has a dress code
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bodin_78
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Thank you for your review, if I could please ask how you booked as I would like to establish were the information for the dress code came from. I am sorry that you were misinformed we do not have a no denim policy, just smart / casual. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

We are honestly not the sort to write poor reviews for superficial things, but in this case we feel really let down.

My partner and I booked a last minute getaway here as we were passing through the area. The agent I booked through's website really made this look charming and perfect for a romantic break. When we arrived, the grounds and house were stunning. Sadly it was our room that let us down. We were not in the main house as expected, but we were, instead, in the converted annex. The room was extremely hot (even though it wasnt a warm day) - there is no A/C. The room was tired and the attention to detail that you'd expect at 4 star prices, was just not there. I have had nicer rooms in the high street chains. In fact the whole feel of the room fell short of the mark and, apart from the complimentary sparkling water on the table, had an air of a modern Travelodge - great if you're paying £39!! The view was of the car park. We waited an hour and half for our room to be ready, after arriving promtly at check-in. The leisure facilites were small, over ran with children and the temperature was freezing! There was also a wedding being held in the evening. Unfortunately, the venue is too small for the noise to not spill out and affect other guests.

In summary, this is not ideal for a romantic getaway. I'd say it'd be ok for business travellers who's companies are picking up the expense and wedding guests at the weekend (as the majority of reviews seem to be). It is definitely not as advertised and would suggest you will get more for your buck elsewhere in the area.

Room Tip: Makesure you're in the main house....if you must stay!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tifft0ff

Thank you for taking the to time to complete a review. I am sorry that you did not find our website clear and consise. The standard rooms are modern and contemporary, and it is clear on the website what facilities are available. Children are allowed in the pool at specific splash times as the Hotel caters for a wide range of guests. Please accept my apologies if you found the wedding in the main house affected your stay, the rooms in the barns are usually very quiet and not affected by our lively array of functions.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

What can I say, firstly on arriving at the hotel we thought how lovely this hotel looked just like the pictures, looks can be deceiving, we arrived at our rooms and the first thing we said was travel lodge room at a premium price, the room was outdated as was the furniture and there were cracks in the ceiling and stains all up the walls.
We had gone for a weekend function.
Friday.
We arrived at the topiary room and this was beautiful however the service we received was absolutely appalling. I do not drink tea or coffee and ask for a hot water after my meal, I asked twice and never got it, the service during the meal was very unorganised and intermittent, our table waited over 20 mins for the starters from the first person receiving theirs to the last person on the table, this was apparent throughout the room, as we started our starter the table next to us we're receiving their desserts!, the room had less than 80 people in it.
Later on some of the party moved to other places within the downstairs as the music was quite loud in the room so we sat with about 8 other people in the corridor, my husband finished his drink and handed his glass to a lady who had served us earlier on, she snatched the glass and mumbled all the way down the corridor where she then kicked the kitchen door, this was very rude and obnoxious behaviour and my husband and I did complain but we never got an apology. The other 8 people were gobsmacked by this rudeness and said that was uncalled for, if we had known we were going to get a reaction like that we would have put the glass on the windowsill with the mountain of glasses that other guest has left, but we are not like that and thought we had actually done the right thing, however this now doesn't appear so.
Saturday
Breakfast average and we had a lovely day exploring Stratford, in the evening we arrived to the main evening of our stay and was seated at our table, a waitress named Gabi introduced herself to us and vice versa and took time out to chat with us when she could and spoke using our names, she was absolutely lovely and is a credit and asset to the hotel, with Gabi as our waitress the evening did go without a hitch.
Gabi was also around on our departure and took a few minutes to chat with us and wish us a safe travel, definately an asset.
Be warned drinks are very expensive approx £10 for a diet coke and a single shot spirit and mixer.
Room service, what room service, we were told that room service stopped at 10pm by the bar staff, not 24 hrs as it says on their website.
This hotel has been used previously by our organisers over the years, but judging by the feedback this time I'm sure they will be looking at alternative accommodation in the future for our events and I am sure that there are plenty of other hotels in the area that offer better than Billesley Manor and for a more competitive price.
We will not be returning.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends