“A real joy to stay here.”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Wrexham County, United Kingdom
“A real joy to stay here.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

What a delightful place, the setting is glorious and the building is stunning from outside . . . and all this before you step inside.

Staff were fantastic; helping with luggage from the car in icy conditions and ensuring the walk to my room wasn't too much for me, very thoughtful indeed. The corridors are a little winding but all adds to the charm I think.

Room was immaculately clean and the bed lovely - thank goodness.

Breakfast offered a good selection of foods and was plentiful enough to keep us going through until the excellent lunch.

In the evening we relaxed in the bar with drinks brought by cheery waiting staff.

I didn't use the Spa but another member of our party did and said it was excellent.

Recommended!

Room Tip: Having seen more than one room at this hotel I doubt you would ever be dissatisfied!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MissKatieKitKat
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Billesley Manor Hotel, I am pleased you all enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

My husband and I visited Billesley Manor on 20/02/2013 for a Travelzoo spa day with treatments and afternoon tea included. The whole experience was a huge disappointment, the service shocking and way below our expectations. In fact, the account I provide below will also, I am sure, fall way short of the Puma groups own expectations of one of its hotels.

Upon arrival at 10.20am we received no warm welcome; in fact on entry to the spa we received no hello or welcome at all. After we had explained the purpose of our visit we were simply given a form to complete and sent over to the cafe style reception area to do so. We completed the form quickly and when handing it over to the lady on reception we were told that we were unable to use the pool and that the electricity was off for a short while. It was also explained that while those in the pool could stay in, at that time they were unable to let anyone else enter into the water. We were not told until later that the electricity was off because the gardener had chopped through the wire, presumably a much larger job than something that could be fixed quickly as initially implied. Had we been informed of this earlier, we would have been able to make an informed choice in relation to staying or postponing our visit. There was some lighting on, provided through a different electrical loop, and also through emergency lighting facilities.

We were given a guided tour which involved who we believe to be the manager of the spa showing us the gym and the two non-electric machines that we could use. We were then told we could change and relax by the pool. We got changed, wrapped ourselves in our towels and went through to the pool. We were very disappointed to find those in the pool were children who, as children do, were having a great time and making a lot of noise. It transpired later that the pool is available for children at certain times during the day and longer on the day of our visit due to it being the school holidays. It would have been courteous to have been informed of this on booking as a quiet relaxing spa day doesn't quite tally with it being open to children looking to have fun! We ourselves have young children who we adore, but our day was about having a few hours peace to re-charge our batteries away from them.

We found the pool area to be very plain and we were not given details of how to use or find the steam room or sauna, let alone advised on whether these facilities were working or not. There were no free loungers as towels and books had been left on these by others who had reserved them and so we sat for half an hour on upright chairs, trying to read our books through the noise. The pool area in this sense is poorly equipped for the number of people using it. By 11am we had had enough and were pleased it was time for our treatments. We had the choice of a manicure or pedicure and both my husband and I opted for the pedicure. Our experiences could not have been more different. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his, had a friendly member of staff and came out with scrubbed and moisturised legs and feet. I simply had my toe nails filed for perhaps two minutes and two coats of polish applied. That was it; it was nothing like any pedicure I have had before. I was in the treatment room no longer than 15 minutes and there was no exfoliation or moisturisation involved. During the treatment the staff member did state that a return voucher would be given to all using the spa that day.

After the treatment, my husband and I met up in the reception area. At this point we ordered hot drinks. Many others were being offered these but we were just ignored. It was getting cold as the heating was out and we were still in our swimwear and towels. Others were wearing slippers and robes but again we seemed to be treated differently and were not provided with these resources. At no stage did the manager or staff ask if we were ok, warm enough or in need of anything. While we recognise the electrical issues were not their fault, a simple apology for the experience and impact on our planned relaxing day would have gone a long way. Yet, our experience showed us that their approach to customer service was shocking. There was no management of the situation or courtesy applied. An example of this is that we had chosen to wait around for 45 minutes after the treatment for the nail polish to be completely dry, and while trying to make the best of the situation and trying to relax, staff left another staff member's phone ringing/alarm going for at least five minutes which was irritating to all parties sat in this area. Staff were also in and out of the door between the hotel and reception, followed by work men traipsing through, and there was also lots of fetching and carrying of towels in wheeled carts going on. Organisation was poor and at no stage were we provided with an update or the opportunity to rebook.

On arrival we had booked afternoon tea for 2.30pm but brought this forward to 12.30pm so we could leave. At 12.15pm just as we were to go and change all of the lighting went out and we got changed in the dark. At no stage were we offered assistance and no comments were made other than a staff member shouting 'Oh no, all of the computers have gone out now'. The manager on the desk said bye when we left but we were offered no return voucher as the lady had mentioned, she simply allowed us to leave with no mention of our experience. She really did not appear to care about the customers at all. There appeared to be very little consideration to health and safety / risk assessment.

We went over to the main reception within the hotel to track down our afternoon tea. Whilst the hotel was also cold and a little dark, the receptionist was very pleasant and explained that although the ovens were working that we might have a short wait. This was fine and she was polite and helpful. Due to agreeing that our experience had fallen way short of our expectations we made the decision to not stay at the hotel as we were very disappointed. What was meant to be a stress busting day for us turned into something that made us feel even more stressed! Rather than staying we asked for a refund, minus the treatment we had had as we felt this was only fair. However, as we had pre-paid through Travelzoo the receptionist wasn't sure of how to action this and we left our number with her as she needed to speak to her manager who was dealing with someone else. This was at 12.30pm and as yet, four hours later, no response has been received. Again, this is not to our satisfaction. Before leaving we were asked how our experience could be corrected. We were offered a pass for a week at the spa and while this was a kind offer, we declined as we have gym and leisure facilities at our local leisure centre, which has facilities that far outweigh what is offered at Billesley Manor.

As a result of our time at Billesley this morning and the poor experience we received I have asked for a response from Management regarding their view of our day and the conduct of the staff. In addition, I have asked for a full refund, etc. This request has only just been sent and I await a response.

Stay away and try Wildmoor, Ardencote of Malvern Spa instead.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank saw646
Please once again accept my sincere apologies that the unfortunate incident leading to no power at Billesley Manor Hotel for 2 hours during your spa day had a negative impact on your experience. I have contacted you directed as has the Spa Manager and a resolution has been found. I am sure your return visit will prove enjoyable and will meet with your original expectations of a relaxing break in pleasant surroundings. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a dinner bed & breakfast board with 1 treatment inc for £89 pp which was fantastic value for money considering some places.
Staff were brilliant, made us feel very welcome, when we got to the room i was lost for words, we were actually staying in the old house itself and the room was huge, king size bed, tv, sofa, hairdyer, everuthing you needed, the en suite was twice the size of my front room! Best part of having a shower was the toiletries provided, l'occitane, beautiful!
We went to the spa and had a pedicure and back & neck massage, was fantastic, afterwards we decided to venture to the pool, only a few people in so we sat on a huge sofa whilst our nails dried then went for a very relaxing swim afterwards.
The meal at night was again amazing, very posh and we felt very looked after.
I would recommend everyone to try this hotel if they get the chance, oh do a walk round the gardens to...., stunning :)

Stayed November 2012
1 Thank C3L1CA
Thank you for recommending Billesley Manor Hotel, I am pleased to read your very positive review. The girlie getaway is excellent value for money and I am glad you enjoyed every aspect of it. I hope to welcome you back soon. Kind regards.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

We booked a dinner/bed/breakfast package which was good value considering the hotel and location etc. On arrival the helpful staff offered an upgrade to a four poster for a £small amount which we accepted. Unfortunately we wondered if we would have been better off with the standard room. Unbeknown to us the room (5) was located right above the dining room and from the afternoon to late at night we could hear the dull persistent background music and loud muffled conversation from the room below. To be fair to reception they did try and address this when approached at 11pm but it all started again at 7:30am when breakfast started. Needless to say we didn't need the extended check out as we didn't want to stay longer than necessary. We raised the subject at checkout but different reception staff seemed indifferent to the problem although they acknowledged our feedback had been passed on. Shame it spoiled an otherwise lovely visit. Staff we're generally pleasant and food was great.

Stayed February 2013
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Please accept my apologies that you found there was a lot of noise from the public areas situated below your room. The background music can be isolated and I have instructed the team to turn it off in the restaurant in between service times. I am pleased you found the team friendly and the food enjoyable. I do hope that you will return to the Billesley Manor Hotel in the future.
St Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a spa weekend treat with my sister. We were given a delightful room overlooking the topiary garden. Service was generally very good. Slightly disappointed when we called to book our treatments about six weeks before as there was only very limited availability. Cream teas in the bar were a real treat. They made a mistake with our Sunday newspaper but rectified it when notified of this. Helpful lady at reception gave us a walking map of the local area. Very busy checking out in the morning.

Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your post on Trip advisor, it is notable for future guests that the Spa does get very busy and early booking is recommended. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay, I hope to welcome you back in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

Weekend away break - fantastic! Beautiful authentic hotel - stones throw from Stratford. Excellent meal in restraunt and top quality fine dining through the evening.
Yes, some of the rooms are a little 'tired' but oozed character which is far more important than to have every room the same - beige and boring.
Very helpful staff and was able to sit having coffee and a cream tea in the old lounge on the Saturday - late afternoon after a day's shopping - perfect!
I will definately go again - probably to write my school reports and have some quiet time!
Mrs J McGuinness - Rowley Regis, West Midlands.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacqueline M
Thank you for taking the time to put your very positive review on to this website. I am pleased that you appreciated that the hotel is full of character and that the team offer great freindly service. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Booked the Billesley Manor for an overnight stay as part of my wife's 50th birthday celebrations as you could reasonably expect a certain standard from a 4* hotel. How wrong can you be. First sight, as many others have said, looks the part. Reception staff we're very helpful and placed us in Room 18 next to the Spa even though when we booked our "Superior" room, we were told we'd be in a converted barn?? This "Superior" room could only be best described as shabby.
All the furniture had seen much better days and the carpets were, and I'm being kind when I say "filthy". We had requested a double room and we ended up with 2 singles pushed together.
The bath panel was hanging off. The square style toilet had obviously had it's seat broken in the past and they had replaced it with a normal oval style item which just didn't fit properly and looked odd to say the least. The toilet paper was about to the standard of Tesco Value and if I had wanted to have a shave in the bathroom mirror, I stood every chance of cutting my throat the lighting was so poor. Couple that with a breakfast that was cold. All in all a pretty miserable stay.
I wrote to Puma Customer service and after two weeks and 1 reminder, I've heard absolutely nothing. Pretty bad for a room that cost £173.00 for the night. I feel sure that the whole hotel CAN'T be as bad as the room we stayed in, so, my advice, for what it's worth, would be to refuse Room 18 if it's offered to you.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SlickChilli
Please accept my apologies for any dissatisfaction, I have received your email via guest relations and will respond directly.