“Beautiful property and excellent staff”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Gloucestershire
“Beautiful property and excellent staff”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We bought a Travelzoo voucher for Billesley Manor because we have always wanted to stay there. We had a lovely experience from the moment we checked in to when we checked out.
Our room was clean, everything worked and was of a high standard.
Our meal in the restaurant was served by two waiters who were very professional and friendly, we felt that nothing was too much trouble and the actual meal was cooked to perfection.
I will be recommending this hotel to friends and family :)

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 30 which was very spacious and is described as a Deluxe double
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Thank you for your positive review, the hotel has enjoyed a great success from the travelzoo offer and hope to work with them again soon. For details on our own offers see our website. Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Tonbridge, Kent
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We visited Billesley 10 years ago, nothing really seems to have changed massively. They made up a sofa bed for our daughter and everything about the room was fine, the shower wasn't exactly powerful but it was due to the room being at the top of the house.

There wasn't an enormous amount of staff around, but those who we dealt with we're friendly and helpful.

Rather disappointingly an order hadn't come in during the morning so breakfast was limited. That said the waitress took an order and did her best, it was fine. Normally at a hotel of this grade you'd expect them, to bring toast - not make it yourself! So you can see where a few corners have been cut.

I'd visit again if it was on offer, as its a relaxing place and nice that it hasn't been modernised too much and the swimming pool is very good.

Room Tip: Always stay in a premium room in the house, not a modern room
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Born_in_a_barn
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you experienced problems with breakfast during you stay. I do hope that you will visit us again soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This hotel is very over priced. The reservation staff have poor regard to detail and are not very helpful , there is an air of complacency as the 'Stratford' effect clearly delivers coach loads of tourists who are not very discerning. The bedrooms and bathrooms in the Barn are very poorly designed. i would look elsewhere in future.

Room Tip: Dont book a room in any of the outbuildings.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ax60
I am sorry that you found the hotel did not meet with your expectations, if you would like to contact the hotel directly to discuss any issues you experienced I would be more than happy to look into them for you. Kind regards.
Norfolk
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We hadn't expected there to be at least one hen party, another dinner party and at least 2 overnight coach parties. That said, there was no excess noise and there wasn't too much delay for breakfast. Dinner in the restaurant was very nice, but nothing special for the price charged.
We booked late, so can't complain that our room was probably one of the smallest and darkest.
The only beer/bitter was Tetley Smooth Flow with no bottles of ale!
These are all minor gripes, but it wasn't what we had expected from their website, so it was a disappointment.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Please accept my apologies that your expectations were not matched after looking at our website. The website is a snapshot of the hotel, allowing you the opportunity to decide if the facilities match your needs. We are working on having a local ale available in the hotel. Kind regards.
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We booked this hotel through an excellent deal on Travelzoo. We were looking for a relaxing break near Stratford. The hotel staff who we booked the hotel through were polite friendly and professional. The hotel its self is an incredible building and while booking I asked if we could stay in the old part of the building which was not a problem.
The room itself was a good size but I was surprise to see that some of the base surrounding the sink which formed the shelf was damaged and large bits were missing. No wardrobe was in the room it was only a hanging rail so even the ironing board was on show in the room this is not what I would expect from a 4 star manor house hotel.
We had a bottle of white wine in the room waiting for us this was in a bucket of water (must have been in the room a long time this was only 6pm) but the worse thing was the dirty glass not only was it covered in lipstick but also rings of red wine I took it down stairs and was told by the duty manager that it was housekeeping they would have a word and make sure training happened which is great for them but didn’t do a great deal for me! I did get a clean glass.
The food and service I must say was excellent on the first night and I wish I was commenting just on the food for this stay.
A coach party was in the hotel and had an early start so from 6am all you could hear was the bedroom doors banging as they have nothing to slow them down when shutting so that was the end of my relaxing night’s sleep.
The next night we got back to our room our keys were not activated so again it was a trip back to reception to get this sorted. The room had been serviced but rather than have a new bottle of wine waiting for us as ordered the old empty bottle and dirty glasses were still in the room!! Why?? No toiletries or bottled water had been replaced
Our table was booked for 8.30 we went to the bar for pre-dinner drinks at 8.10 and at 5 to 9 we were asked if we were ready to order I said yes as we had been waiting a while and from then on staff seemed very short with us. I ordered the ham and rabbit terrine with toasted brioche. When it arrived it had no brioche when I asked if it should have brioche with it I was told very sharply no (I checked the menu on the way out it was on the menu) Asked at breakfast the next day if they had any croissants they said they would ask I did remind her but I am still waiting to find out.
I did comment when I left and our bill was reduced by around £50 (cheap consultancy for the hotel I would say!) I have also phoned the hotel manager who was not working the weekend she was again very polite she has written to apologise and offered me a room upgrade if I stay again!

1 Thank mrmac90
Further apologies for the points raised. Your points have been discussed with the team and further training has been carried out. Kind regards
Wales
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This was a girly weekend, our only intention was to relax, eat lots and let the cares of everyday life fade away!!

The Hotel: It was a beautiful building, which was decorated to a high standard, very clean and in a perfect location.

The Room: We had a Deluxe Twin which was very modern and beautifully decorated. It was very clean with bathrobe and slippers.

The Spa: We were disappointed to find they were fully book, so really we lost out on the Spa part of the weekend. The leisure facilities were very good.

The Food: I had a 3 course breakfast (yum yum) on the first morning, very nice too. The breakfast ranged from croissants to cereal, meats and cheeses to a full English.

My only negatives for the hotel were the staff, some were pleasant enough but we did come across a few who acted like they didn't want to be there. In particular the receptionist who didn't do a good job of greeting us when we checked in...more of a formal exchange, not a good first impression. Secondly when calling down to reception for request, these were never addressed. Lastly on our first night we got woken up at 12am to the sound of bottle bins being emptied, this was done a few times!!! Surely a 4 star hotel's reputation is not being ruined by the staff being inconsiderate at night.

Overall a fantastic break, great food but the hotel need to invest in staff training in customer service.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your detailed review of Billesley Manor, I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your experience. I am disappointed that you did not find the team to be friendly and efficient, the hotel ordinarily gets the best comments about the team. You comments have been passed on and our guest service training will continue. Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed in a deluxe double room overlooking the gardens and was very comfortable.
The restaurant staff were excellent and the choice of food was very good as I require a gluten free diet. The overall appearance of the hotel was excellent however, the fitness area small but the swimming pool and changing area was very good. I will be returning to his hotel in the near future.

Room Tip: No lift if there is a problem stairs request a ground floor room facing the gardens.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very positive review, I am pleased that you found the facilities here to an excellent standard and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards.