“Poor service”

Billesley Manor Hotel
“Poor service”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed here for my Nans 70th the place is very nice rooms and grounds we also used the spa facilities but this was spoilt when we went to the restaurant in the evening we waited 2 hours for our main course which was very annoying when there was people arriving after us who had all 3 courses yet we were still waiting for our main. Yet when we asked we were left waiting with no answers and found staff and management ignorant as no one even came over and apologised about the wait and still no explanation. Overall lovely place but the restaurant lets it down.

• Stayed June 2013
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Thank you for your further comments regarding the delay with your dinner during you stay. I would like to once again apologise that you had to wait around an hour for your main course on the busy Saturday evening and that the team did not apease the situation with good communication. If I can further assist please do not hesitate to contact me. Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I've stayed in five Puma hotels now and I think I'm getting a good idea of the chain. It holds lots of grand buildings in suitable locations, which are all slightly ailing, and lacking in experienced staff. The chain needs investment in renovation and staff training.
Billesley Manor is a lovely and unusual building in a handy location for Stratford Upon Avon. The grounds are beautiful and the topiary garden is a really unique feature - much credit to the gardening team.
We booked a cheap half term deal through Puma's own website.There was a complimentary bottle of wine on arrival which was a nice treat. I'd requested a travel cot in my reservation notes. Check-in was efficient although the lady wasn't very welcoming, she was a little formal and cold with us, and didn't provide any information about the leisure club, breakfast times - simply gave us a rough guide as to how to find our room (which was a very very long walk away).
The room was adequate for our stay. There was no travel cot as requested so I asked the same lady on reception at 4pm as we left to go out. Arrived back at 9pm, still no travel cot. Had to phone reception who sent one up. Good job our young child wasn't too tired!
The bar was cosy and service in here was good.
Leisure club was fine; clean and suitable with friendly staff and good facilities although the pool was freezing (it said 29.9 degrees on the board, who were they kidding) and the lack of a Jacuzzi was noticeable.
Breakfast was a huge disappointment. Waited 50 mins for our cooked breakfast, which when it arrived was cold with items wrong and/or missing. How could they get it so wrong? No real apology was offered.
Check-out was swift, and we were not asked if we'd enjoyed our stay. Would recommend only on a very cheap deal, there's lots of other choices in the Stratford area so do your research.

Room Tip: Room 65 is a very long, long walk from reception. It is a standard room and very Travelodge-like in...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you found the hotels facilities and service did not meet with your expectations, and I would like to offer my apologies for the problems you experience at Breakfast. Your comments have been noted and improvements will be made were necessary. Kind regards
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We bought a Travelzoo voucher for Billesley Manor because we have always wanted to stay there. We had a lovely experience from the moment we checked in to when we checked out.
Our room was clean, everything worked and was of a high standard.
Our meal in the restaurant was served by two waiters who were very professional and friendly, we felt that nothing was too much trouble and the actual meal was cooked to perfection.
I will be recommending this hotel to friends and family :)

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 30 which was very spacious and is described as a Deluxe double
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review, the hotel has enjoyed a great success from the travelzoo offer and hope to work with them again soon. For details on our own offers see our website. Kind regards.
Tonbridge, Kent
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We visited Billesley 10 years ago, nothing really seems to have changed massively. They made up a sofa bed for our daughter and everything about the room was fine, the shower wasn't exactly powerful but it was due to the room being at the top of the house.

There wasn't an enormous amount of staff around, but those who we dealt with we're friendly and helpful.

Rather disappointingly an order hadn't come in during the morning so breakfast was limited. That said the waitress took an order and did her best, it was fine. Normally at a hotel of this grade you'd expect them, to bring toast - not make it yourself! So you can see where a few corners have been cut.

I'd visit again if it was on offer, as its a relaxing place and nice that it hasn't been modernised too much and the swimming pool is very good.

Room Tip: Always stay in a premium room in the house, not a modern room
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Born_in_a_barn
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you experienced problems with breakfast during you stay. I do hope that you will visit us again soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This hotel is very over priced. The reservation staff have poor regard to detail and are not very helpful , there is an air of complacency as the 'Stratford' effect clearly delivers coach loads of tourists who are not very discerning. The bedrooms and bathrooms in the Barn are very poorly designed. i would look elsewhere in future.

Room Tip: Dont book a room in any of the outbuildings.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ax60
I am sorry that you found the hotel did not meet with your expectations, if you would like to contact the hotel directly to discuss any issues you experienced I would be more than happy to look into them for you. Kind regards.
Norfolk
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We hadn't expected there to be at least one hen party, another dinner party and at least 2 overnight coach parties. That said, there was no excess noise and there wasn't too much delay for breakfast. Dinner in the restaurant was very nice, but nothing special for the price charged.
We booked late, so can't complain that our room was probably one of the smallest and darkest.
The only beer/bitter was Tetley Smooth Flow with no bottles of ale!
These are all minor gripes, but it wasn't what we had expected from their website, so it was a disappointment.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Please accept my apologies that your expectations were not matched after looking at our website. The website is a snapshot of the hotel, allowing you the opportunity to decide if the facilities match your needs. We are working on having a local ale available in the hotel. Kind regards.
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We booked this hotel through an excellent deal on Travelzoo. We were looking for a relaxing break near Stratford. The hotel staff who we booked the hotel through were polite friendly and professional. The hotel its self is an incredible building and while booking I asked if we could stay in the old part of the building which was not a problem.
The room itself was a good size but I was surprise to see that some of the base surrounding the sink which formed the shelf was damaged and large bits were missing. No wardrobe was in the room it was only a hanging rail so even the ironing board was on show in the room this is not what I would expect from a 4 star manor house hotel.
We had a bottle of white wine in the room waiting for us this was in a bucket of water (must have been in the room a long time this was only 6pm) but the worse thing was the dirty glass not only was it covered in lipstick but also rings of red wine I took it down stairs and was told by the duty manager that it was housekeeping they would have a word and make sure training happened which is great for them but didn’t do a great deal for me! I did get a clean glass.
The food and service I must say was excellent on the first night and I wish I was commenting just on the food for this stay.
A coach party was in the hotel and had an early start so from 6am all you could hear was the bedroom doors banging as they have nothing to slow them down when shutting so that was the end of my relaxing night’s sleep.
The next night we got back to our room our keys were not activated so again it was a trip back to reception to get this sorted. The room had been serviced but rather than have a new bottle of wine waiting for us as ordered the old empty bottle and dirty glasses were still in the room!! Why?? No toiletries or bottled water had been replaced
Our table was booked for 8.30 we went to the bar for pre-dinner drinks at 8.10 and at 5 to 9 we were asked if we were ready to order I said yes as we had been waiting a while and from then on staff seemed very short with us. I ordered the ham and rabbit terrine with toasted brioche. When it arrived it had no brioche when I asked if it should have brioche with it I was told very sharply no (I checked the menu on the way out it was on the menu) Asked at breakfast the next day if they had any croissants they said they would ask I did remind her but I am still waiting to find out.
I did comment when I left and our bill was reduced by around £50 (cheap consultancy for the hotel I would say!) I have also phoned the hotel manager who was not working the weekend she was again very polite she has written to apologise and offered me a room upgrade if I stay again!

1 Thank mrmac90
Further apologies for the points raised. Your points have been discussed with the team and further training has been carried out. Kind regards