“Lovely romantic hotel”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Westhoughton, United Kingdom
“Lovely romantic hotel”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We had a lovely stay at this hotel, and whilst not perfect in every single way, we would absolutely go back here again. We received a warm welcome from the staff, who were always pleasant and helpful. Upon arrival we were told we had been upgraded to Room 5 - one of the original 4 poster bedrooms - as it was our 10th Wedding Anniversary, and saw that we had been provided with a complimentary bottle of Prosecco. What a great touch! The room was large and spacious, with great views over the lawns and gardens. The only disappointment about the room was the bathroom, which seemed quite dated (plus a very low fixed shower - not ideal for tall people!). Despite it being a hot day, the heating in the room was on - we told reception and this was fixed promptly, great service. Breakfast the next morning was held in the beautiful traditional Stuart Room, very nice food, but thought the paper napkins were cheap - proper napkins would be better. The spa was fine, the treatment was very relaxing, but felt the pool could have done with some greenery and a more relaxing area for after the treatment. We were told in advance that there was a wedding on that day. I thought this was good as it gave us the option to go elsewhere if we decided to. In the end we had lunch at the hotel, which was nice, sitting out in the gardens in the sunshine. All in all whilst not totally perfect, we had an absolutely lovely stay, but think that with a few extra touches of class it could push the hotel up to the next level. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Thank you for probably the most constructive review I have had in a while. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your comments are all things that are being addressed (apart from the paper napkins). The traditional rooms are all scheduled for touches of redecoration and room 5s bathroom is one of them, the spa greenery is here! (its fake - hope you don't mind, but the last lot died) and the heating - well its just the ever changing weather, so I am glad it was all sorted out for you evry quickly. Look out for our summer offers on the website for a good value summer break. Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We had a wonderful stay, great from the moment we arrived. Lovely room, quite spacious, large bed and really comfy. Gardens neat and tidy, all the staff we met were polite and attentive, and buffet type breakfast really good, loads to choose from.

2 Thank Jacqueline J
Thanks you for your fantastic review, I am pleased you enjoyed your Billesley experience. There will be some great offers running through the summer months so maybe we will see you again soon.
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Our overnight stay was a superb half price offer. Things were wonderful right from the start: a very friendly welcome, a fabulous room: amazing en suite bathroom. The experience continued to be superb. Dinner was delicious, service friendly. Spa facilities were good with helpful staff. The choice of breakfast was extensive. Only one problem was the shower which kept reverting to cold! Maintenance were to be informed so hopefully the next guests were luckier. Can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Thank you for your review of Billesley Manor, I am pleased you got such a great deal. I hope to welcome you back soon.
Leicestershire England
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Stayed Saturday 25th May. Booked this trip through travelzoo for £139. Package included bottle of wine in room, 3 course dinner, breakfast and late check out. We arrived at 12.30 and room was ready. We had room 10. It was beautiful, with views looking over the garden, to the front and looking across fields to the rear. The bathroom was on another level with a corner bath. We had afternoon tea on the terrace (weather was nice) Then went into Stratford for a few hours. Later we ate in the restaurant. Dinner was lovely and plentiful. Waitress' were lovely and very friendly (Freddie and a girl from Latvia). They made us feel very welcome. Finished our wine in the bar. Slept like a log and didn't hear a sound all night. Breakfast was buffet and also very nice. All staff were very polite and friendly. Overall cant wait to go back. Would very highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suenandy
Thank you for this review and the note you sent to Head Office, Freddie & Aiga have both recieved WOW awards for the friendly service they offered. Thank you also for the recommendation, this is greatly appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Hay-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

we had a lovely experience at our early bird spa offer at this spa which was set in beautiful grounds and surroundings,the pool sauna and steam room were average for a hotel I guess,had thought maybe they would be bit more luxurious than they were but they were sufficient,the spa treatments were good and the therapists made you feel at ease,the offer included ten pounds per person towards lunch of your choice,we chose to eat ours outside the manor hotel in the lovely gardens as it was such a glorious day,would have loved to stay overnight to sample the hotel rooms

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review Billesley Manor Hotel, I am pleased that you enjoyed your spa day. Keep a look out for special offers over the summer for spa breaks and p[erhaps you will be able to sample one of our lovely rooms. Kind regards
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

The building is beautiful and full of character, with wood panelling and creaky floors, but the hotel did not live up to the expectations of such an expensive place.

Firstly we were greeted very warmly and given a room key, to a room up two sets of stairs and when we let ourselves in the room it was evidently occupied so we beat a hasty retreat! I went back to the reception where it was evident that the receptionist doubted what i was saying even down to asking did I go to the correct room, its difficulty to let yourself into the wrong room with electronic keys isn't it? We were then given the key to the next room with an apology as an after thought.

The room was very big and spacious, we had booked a twin but were given a king bed which we didn't notice until later as for some reason it had two head boards like twins! The bathroom was a real let down, it smelt of grease as if it was above the kitchen, there was no window so assume the smell was from the extraction system. There was hair in the bath! the shower was awful as it kept running scalding hot or freezing cold. The view from the room was fabulous out over the front of the hotel and across the county. This was great until night fall when all the noisy party goers spilled onto the lawns and were making a loud noise well into the small hours. As these are premium rooms at premium prices the management should ensure that guests do not go onto the lawns after midnight in deference to guests who are trying to sleep.

The restaurant was excellent, the food delicious and the portions were very big, there was a lot of choice on the set menu and for £39.50 you got three courses. The staff in the restaurant were really friendly and the service very good. Unfortunately breakfast was no where near as good, with sad continental and the cooked buffet was not hot! there was a strange system going on that made it chaotic as they separated wedding party guests from the other guests.

We paid a lot of money for this one night, fortunately part of it was paid for by a voucher Christmas gift as it would have been very disappointing. A lot of the things that spoilt this hotel could be rectified if people paid attention to detail.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is at the front but preferably not room 11 as the bathroom smells like a chip pi...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Please accept my sincere apologies for any disturbance caused from our late night revellers, the hotel does try to prevent guests from disturbing other guests by discouraging outside access after 12.00, however those guests have also paid for premium rooms at preimum rates and want to enjoy the ambience and event for as long as possible. Your comments will all be addressed and improvements will be made were necessary. Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I have just returned from a one night weekend stay with friends at this hotel. We enjoyed our stay, I think we had good value for money with our package, but there were a number of frustrations with the hotel which, to me, indicated a lack of strong management.

On arrival around 10.30am on Saturday morning, my first impression of the hotel was very good: a well signed entrance, the drive surrounded by fields, then the first view of the beautiful old manor house, with a topiary garden, tennis courts, a smart front lawn with plenty of outside tables to enjoy the sunshine, then I parked and went in to be greeted by friendly staff. I wasn't given a great deal of information about the hotel, where to find things, but wandered around and discovered what I needed to know. Inside, most of the public areas of the main hotel building are very old and quite warren-like with narrow twisting corridors and steps here and there. It is beautiful inside with oak panelled rooms, beautiful ornate fireplaces, tapestries on the walls and lots of historical character.

My friends arrived and, not knowing the area, we decided to have lunch at the hotel. We sat outside in the sunshine and the staff from the bar were very nice and helpful, bringing us a jug of iced water, as well as our drinks from the bar. However, the food was average and expensive: basic sandwiches with crisps on the side for £8; I had the meal of the day, which was smoked mackerel and potato salad which turned out to be a starter size portion, which was £12. Later, we returned to sit outside and ordered a bottle of prosecco. This was £30 for the bottle, which I think unjustifiably steep, and despite there being two staff in the bar, neither offered to open the bottle nor carry it outside to our table for me.

There had been a wedding on the previous day/ evening, so on Saturday morning the staff were seemingly getting straight from the night before. However, when I wandered into the topiary garden on Saturday afternoon, there were still glasses and plates from the previous evening which had not been cleared up. The next morning, I again wandered into the topiary garden and the same dirty things were still there.

My friends and I had booked a package which included use of the spa and treatments. My half hour massage was fantastic and the pedicure nice, too. The spa included a gym, pool, sauna and steam room. We enjoyed these facilities, but the pool area was less than tranquil with kids allowed in the pool in both morning and afternoon sessions. This made the pool a great facility for local members and visiting families, but might not appeal to some adults. A further irritation: on Saturday, I asked the spa staff what time it was open on Sunday morning as we planned to use the pool and gym before breakfast; I was told it opened at 8.00am. At shortly after 8.00am, I found the spa shut and the cleaning staff waiting outside to get in. About 8.15am, I went to reception and I was told the hotel could not open the spa due to 'health and safety' until the spa staff arrived and the hotel seemed to be unaware that the spa staff had not arrived. Then, someone from the hotel came and unlocked the spa, so we could get in.

Our package also included dinner. The restaurant is attractively old and old fashioned in style. The staff were nice but seemed to lack a strong maitre'd. We were brought an 'amuse bouche' which was something fruity in a shot glass but the waitress did not know what was in it and had to go away and find out when asked. Our package included 3 courses from a table d'hôte menu, which looked perfectly nice. Some in our group stuck to this; others selected items from the carte. My friend found a tangle of hairs in her pork cheek starter (hopefully animal, but not definitely so and not pleasant); she didn't make a fuss, but did tell the waiter, who rightly looked shocked but took away the plate without further comment from him or the kitchen. A scallop starter was very good, sea trout from the carte was very nice, although this and a few other dishes had been garnished with dill whose overpowering flavour dominated and some disliked it. A slow cooked lamb dish from the carte was a large portion and very flavoursome. Afterwards, one friend had cheese, which was fantastic and a really generous portion, too. Puddings were a little less successful: rhubarb and custard cheesecake was ok, although not at all like cheesecake; a 'strudel' of pecan and banana served with peanut butter ice cream was a heavy, pastry concoction that was not at all like strudel and did not work, whilst the peanut butter ice cream was bland and a missed opportunity.

We had three rooms between five of us, as they could not offer us a triple room. One friend was quite happy to have a room to herself, but it was a bit of a shame that this room was some way from the others and also that it was above a function room in which there was a party and live band on Saturday night. I don't believe the hotel was full and even if it was, this room would have been better given to someone staying over from this party. My room was a good size, it looked nice, as did the bathroom, which worked fine; but unfortunately the hair dryer did not work at all and the bed I slept on (we had two single beds pushed next to each other) was almost broken and therefore sagged really badly and I had to sleep on the edge of the mattress where it was at its firmest.

Overall, I liked the hotel and would consider returning if I had a similar package and could ensure I
had a decent bed to sleep on! The historic building and beautiful setting were the biggest draw. It is also just 4 miles from Stratford upon Avon, so you could base yourself at this pretty, country hotel and take in the local sights.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your extensive review of Billesley Manor. I think the bed you mention has been located and replaced as another guest brought it to our attention too. Please accept my apologies that this was a problem during your stay. The points raised have been discussed with the team and improvements will be made were necessary. Kind regards