“Billesley Manor”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We got married here in 2003 and came back to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. Even though we bought our stay with an all inclusive voucher, they upgraded our room and surprised us with champagne on ice! Lovely hotel.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
There are newer reviews for Billesley Manor Hotel

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here on our anniversary , really nice place we had a room over looking the gardens , stayed on the wine dine and sparkle deal that is on offer on the website , great value for money , the food in the hotel was amazing and the staff where very helpful , will be visiting again sometime in the future .

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This was a special break to celebrate a special birthday. We booked through an Amazon local deal and chose the upgraded room. My husband rang the hotel and ordered flowers and asked if it would be possible to stay in one of the panelled rooms. When we arrived he was delighted that this is what we had been allocated Room 5 complete with fireplace and four poster bed and the flowers were awaiting us in the room. This set the tone for the whole break. The staff were on top of all our requirements and knew exactly what we had ordered and saw to our every need. The breakfast had some of the best choices of any hotel we have stayed in in England. Part of our package was a three course meal in the main dining room. This again was excellent well presented and delicious we both had the sea bass. On our second day we had an afternoon tea included this was served to us in the bar area this was a slight disappointment the sandwiches were excellent as were the scones but the cake was just slab cake and rather nondescript the setting made up for it somewhat.
The hotel itself is in a lovely rural location and the grounds are a delight the listed Topiary Garden is a must see. A must do is to ask at reception for the key to the little church in the grounds a delightful building and a must for all history lovers. This trip truly exceeded our expectations.

Room Tip: Room 5 was excellent ask for a room within the hotel main building.
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband and I cannot thank you enough for the superb treatment we received 18
& 19th November... We married 2011 at Billesley Manor and chose to return for our second anniversary... Staff were professional and courteous the whole stay... Food superb as always... One of the team had worked on our wedding and had remembered us.... It's those touches that are priceless... Thank you for the upgrade to our special room and the card from yourselves was a lovely touch.... Cannot recommend the hotel highly enough ... Thank you again for a lovely stay. Dawn & Craig

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Excellent hotel, full of history and set in lovely grounds. You can just sit in one of the lovely lounges and enjoy a lovely afternoon tea. Rooms are excellent and very clean. Food excellent and a good choice on the menu. A very warm welcome was given by the lovely reception girls, who couldn't do enough for you and had time to explain the history of the manor.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank jill_simmons581
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I've just returned from my stay at Billesley Manor Hotel.
Myself and my girlfriend stayed in the Manor House room 5, supposedly a deluxe room.
The main room at first sight is amazing and very grand. However that's where it stops.
The bathroom is "cheap and badly finished". I say this for the following reasons :-
1. The shower is usable for people of a max. height of 5 feet. As the shower head is 5 ft 4 inches above the bath.
2. The bath is a tin bath, the cheapest you can buy at a total cost of £90 (I know as I'm in property development).
3. The shower screen is of similar type supplied by B&Q, again just over £110 (no style what so ever). The bottom trim was covered in what looked like limescale.
4. The tiles were fitted very unevenly, not grouted and cracked. This is the case because the tiling was done by a general builder not a tiler, as no self respecting tiler would do a job this shody.
5. The water heat is at a dangerous hear close to boiling. I know this, because I couldn't get under the shower I ran a bath, when feeling the water I burnt my hand.
6. The borders were mosaic style, these actually had grout on, so much they covered the tiles.
7. The radiator on/off had no cover, simply showed the screwed fitting.
8. The sink plug wasn't screwed on and came off in my hand.
The mattress on the 4 poster bed must have been as old as the room. I sleep on my stomach, I could not in this case as when I lay on the bed, both ends of the mattress lifted, so I had to sleep on my back which irritated a shoulder injury. My girlfriend has a bad back, so she didn't get much sleep either.
There's definatly a difference between a good soft mattress and just a old broken one, which is on this bed.
At meal times there is not enough staff serving, we had to remind about drinks 2 to 3 times before been successfully served, but the food was very nice, great breakfast too.
Sunday we visited the spa, the steam room was definatly the work of the person that did the bathroom in or room as there was no grout between the tiles which formed the seat. other mosaic tiles were missing or very badly glued on sitting proud looking terrible. Both the ladies and gents changing rooms had black mould running down the corners of the shower rooms.

I sent this to the management, who took my comments on board, they are going to deep clean the showers and set loose the handy man on the bathroom. That may take care of missing grout nut the bath and tiles still look cheap.
I was told the bed' 2 years old, it must be really cheap cos it was definatly past it's shelf life.

All in all this was value for money, the word "deluxe" could be lost from it's description to avoid dissapointment.

1  Thank Northerener100
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Not what I was expecting for a relaxing Spa Day.

Kids screaming in the pool, no quiet relaxing area. Staff not that helpful, no robes, had to keep asking for water, way to hot. Soap dispenses in the changing rooms did not work, ran out of lockers. Was told massage for both of us at 14.00, but ended up having to wait only one member of staff.

3  Thank A33333