“Great Stay”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Well looked after by Jo the General Manager and Mala the Front of House Manager. Nothing was too much trouble, have been to the hotel numerous times in the past and it gets better every time. The team I met were all very friendly and could not do enough to help. After reading other reviews I think people need to be realistic about what any hotel can reasonably provide. Good service, nice buidling, good food, good setting, cant do much better than that!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daniel G
billesleymanor_gm, Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Billesley Manor. I was delighted to read you felt extremely well looked after when with us and your kind words are truly appreciated and will be passed onto the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Have stayed here a couple of times and it is beautiful. The last visit was a surprise for my special birthday! The staff were very good and I had a fabulous facial and massage in the spa. We had the swimming pool to ourselves even though the hotel was full. I'm a very fussy eater but I managed to find something on the menu and the food was very good. Would definatley recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Billesley Manor. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your visit and thank you for highlighting our team members, food quality and the excellent treatment quality you received.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Booked for the New Years Eve party package in October for my husbands 60th and after weeks of deliberation chose Billesley Manor. Over the course of several phone calls both to the call centre & hotel we made it clear that because it was a surprise/special occasion we wanted to be in the main party room in addition to requesting a couple of other bits & pieces. When we arrived we were blown away to find myself & hubby in Bridal suite - a free upgrade, along with wine in the room. Went down for champagne afternoon tea - delicious scones but event marred by people having to stand around waiting for more tea,jam,cream & scones and people sitting in the corridor balancing plates on laps. Down for champagne reception after a chilly sit in our lovely room (turn the heating on Billesley -its freezing!) only to find when checking table plan that we were seated in an empty restaurant instead of the party room. SO disappointed i felt sick. Terse response from duty manager who left me standing in reception while he stormed off. Pointed out that we booked a PARTY not a night in a restaurant. So there we were, the four of us done up like dogs dinners sitting in a freezing empty room listening to piped music with the sounds of partying somewhere in the distance. Promises were made to fit us in but tables jammed in like sardines and we welcomed in the New Year standing in the doorway of the room getting in everyones way and being tutted at by the table nearest the door who made it clear they thought we were gatecrashers!! Sister in law & me almost in tears particularly as they had travelled for over 3 hours to be with us on this special occasion and plainly we had not got what we had paid £320 per couple for. We can NEVER get back that night and i cannot forgive the Billesley for that. They did give us free wine with our meal and reduced our bill by half but it was a mistake that should never have happened as we had made several calls to the hotel confirming our requests. We asked for an explanation from Puma as the party was blatantly overbooked & we have just had a lame email virtually saying it was our fault stating that they thought we would be better in the restaurant due to an initial request for a table for 4 if possible. HELLO the clue is in the package - NEW YEARS PARTY!!! Several people in reception at same time as us apparently disputing bills so i would say they had a problem. Shame on you Puma!! Only saving grace was the delightful young Polish waiter on work experience from his home country who despite speaking virtually no English really did do his best to make the best of an awful situation.

Room Tip: Room 4 or 5 best - as long as they put the heating on!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nanapips
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay over New Year. I was truly sorry to hear about the confusion over your dining arrangements especially as one of your party were shown the restaurant in the afternoon to verify where you would be dining that evening. Please accept my sincere apologies that this was not what was expected and rest assured I shall be researching why this was the case.

I trust you enjoyed to celebrations post dinner.

Once again my sincere apologies
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Beautiful manor and grounds truly a historic place with character. Upgraded to a comfortable Deluxe room with a view and in the main building which was a good move as the guest rooms are outside. Breakfast came with lots of choice and was very nicely cooked. Staff were so friendly. Manor is conveniently situated in quiet grounds but not far from Stratford upon Avon and Leamington Spa so for those who like history and shopping it is a must! The only complaint is that the sauna wasn't working and the radiator in our room banged unless we fiddled with the thermostat and some keen staff decided to vacuum at 8.30am and 10.30pm. However this wasn't enough to ruin our short stay!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Billesley Manor. I was delighted to read you had a wonderful trip and your kind words about your room, our breakfast offering and friendly staff are truly appreciated.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Apparently Shakespeare wrote "As you like it" in this country house and it's even reputed to have a resident ghost from Tudor times.
Our one night stay however was more "Love's Labour's Lost" than "As you like it" whilst any possible ghostly apparitions had long since departed this soulless place.
It's not pleasant to give a bad review especially as we checked on Trip Advisor very carefully before booking and read glowing recommendations. But our experience after several hours of weary travel was not favourable. Our rooms were on the second floor and as there was no lift and no porter we were left to lug our suitcases up several flights of stairs, which for me with a dislocated ankle and a heart condition was not easy. In fact the signs were so confusing I got lost and stuck on a particularly narrow and winding staircase until rescued by a chambermaid!.
The receptionist did offer us alternative rooms on the ground floor but I felt she thought the problem was of our own making and her attitude was quite hostile. The website needs to really make it clear that access for disabled customers is restricted.
By now we were ready for a bar supper but in the bar there was no sign of anyone for about 15 minutes. Eventually the barman appeared and we were able to order a round of drinks and check out the bar food menu. Drinks eventually arrived and so we ordered the bar food - but even though there was no sign of other guests the bar food took ages to arrive (about 20 minutes) by which time we needed another round of expensive drinks.
The food was quite appalling: my wife's Crispy duck and pickled ginger salad (£13.95) had no discernible crispy duck, my daughter's Chicken caesar salad (£12.95) had 5 baby gem lettuce leaves with some rather grey and tired lumps of chicken, whilst my son and I ordered the Billesley burger (from the hotel's rather boastful "our favourites menu" ) priced at £14.95. Whilst our strapping son waded into his I found it tough and virtually inedible and left most of it. MacDonald's do a great burger for a third of the price...
They did take the price of the 'no duck salad' and chicken caesar off the bill but we were left disappointed and hungry having been travelling most of the day. Breakfast next morning was fine (as you'd expect from any decent hotel with a buffet style breakfast).
Checkout time and Receptionist No 2 was almost as unhelpful as Receptionist No 1. Maybe our card had been marked from the day before. No apology for the appalling food, no sympathy about trying to lug cases up stairs with a heart condition and dodgy ankle, just the presentation of the final bill...
It is extraordinary that the very person that greets you at a hotel and the last person you see as you leave can make a huge difference to your stay. I did ask if the Manager could email me before I write a Trip Advisor report but was rather primly told that it was a Manageress not a Manager. Even so 3 weeks on and she hasn't made contact so I assume she is happy for me to send this review in.
For the owners of the Puma Hotel chain we'll avoid staying with you next time. If you visit the KKGeorge in Earls Court,The Queens, Cheltenham, The Hilton, Islington, The Bedford Lodge Newmarket, The Barnham Broom Norfolk you can find out how a good reception and good value food can be done.

Room Tip: Make sure you check where your room will be if you have any trouble with stairs as there is no porte...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris W
billesleymanor_gm, Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and may I offer my most sincere apologies for the frustrations encountered. Rest assured our front office team will be addressed and I am truly sorry you never received an apology about the poor dining experience. I would have been delighted to discuss in person should I have been made aware of your feedback and again you have my word I shall be investigating why this was not the case.

Once again my sincere apologies.
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Lovely grounds and very pretty from the outside however, rooms are not 4 star I would say the standard rooms are 2/3 star at best and the wifi did not work in our room (68). If the location and price is good then book it but don't pay full price. Check out the internet as puma hotels always have offers ours was with dinner with wine and breakfast with a 1pm checkout.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Joanne G
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit. My apologies you found your room not to be to your expected standard. We have an array of room types and I would be delighted to show you a selection of these as they enjoy different features should we be lucky enough to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here last year for one night and were thoroughly impressed so for our anniversary this year we booked again but for the Wine, Dine and Sparkle deal. This deal is amazing value for money and was the perfect choice for us. We upgraded to the premium room for a little extra but saw a definite improvement in the room in comparison to our last stay. The room was huge, clean, very modern and considering it was on one of the main corridors of the hotel, quiet. We arrived early and decided to go for afternoon tea in the bar. It's £15 per person but well worth it, the sandwiches and cakes are delicious and it's all very filling.

During our stay we also made use of the leisure facilities. The changing rooms are pretty standard and could use a little more regular cleaning but still pretty clean. The pool was a little busier than our last visit even though we went outside of the kids 'splash hours' and I would advise you call the spa before you go to the pool if you want a quiet swim. Sadly the sauna was out of action but the steam room was comfortable and the loungers by the pool very comfy.

The highlight of our stay was probably the evening. Included in our package was a 3 course meal and a bottle of wine, which the hotel were happy for us to bring into the restaurant from our room, in the Stuart Restaurant. The restaurant thoroughly deserves it's two rosettes. The food was absolutely gorgeous and the staff in the restaurant were fantastic. We were not rushed at all with our meal and even though we were the last people in the restaurant the staff were happy to chat and accommodate us whilst we finished our bubbly.

The hotel really is beautiful, it was a shame that it was raining so hard that we didn't really appreciate the grounds and scenery. This hotel is fabulous and we will hopefully be returning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent trip to Billesley Manor. I was delighted to read this was your second visit and equally delighted you had a fabulous time.

Your kind words about our food and service will be passed onto the team.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.