“Perfect two nights away”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Perfect two nights away”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Myself and my wife booked a two night break with secret escapes to Billesley Manor when wanting to visit Stratford. We travel a lot and thought the staff at the hotel were as good as anywhere. Great service, more than helpful staff and a wonderful evening meal which we could of enjoyed again and again. The grounds are lovely and the property is a great base to visit Stratford. We will definitely visit again and use this hotel as our number 1 base when visiting. Thank you to all the staff. Mr & Mrs Stephens

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jason M, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Mr and Mrs Stephens thank you very much for your wonderful review and detailing the highlights of your stay. We do indeed have a great setting and just minutes away from Stratford town.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Jason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We recently visited Stratford Upon Avon as a minimoon (short break after a hectic but enjoyable wedding) and decided on a stay at Billesley manor hotel. what a fantastic setting and what a fantastic stay. the building is wonderful and provides a nice historic feel and by staying in the main house we had a nice view over the restaurant from the upper balcony.

the grounds are magnificent and it is only a short drive into Stratford.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and provided a very good service, It is a shame I did not get their names but the young gentleman who was manning the front desk when we arrived was particularly helpful, and the waiter from Italy (or spain could not tell which) who was very efficient in keeping the all you can eat breakfast topped up, had a very funny story to do with a muffin and an automatic toaster (you will have to ask him) if there was any delay at all.

Altogether I could not praise this venue enough and if the rest of the PUMA hotels are of this standard then there's will be my favourite website for the future.

Room Tip: stay in the main house if you can, its a rabbit warren of rooms and corridors and you do not know wh...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Congratulations and thank you for spending your minimoon with us here at Billesley Manor. I am so pleased you had such a great time and enjoyed all we have to offer.

I hope that you try some of our other fantastic hotels which are in the collection, but don’t forget to come back to us.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is our fourth stay at this hotel. Our last review was fantastic, but oh how things have changed in the last 14 months. The hotel looked shabby and some of the staff had changed. This may account for the deteriation. When we booked, in October, we also booked our evening meal in the restaurant. We confirmed our restaurant booking a week before we arrived. At 7.30 we arrived in the bar for a per dinner drink. My husband had to find someone to inform them that we here. Unfortunately they said that we had not booked and that the restaurant was fully booked! We were not happy at all! Then a young man came to inform us that they could fit us in! We had to ask for menus to look at whilst we were in the bar and we were told to come into the restaurant when we had finished our drinks! Previous years we were brought menus and someone came to get us when our table was ready and took our drinks into the restaurant.
When we were seated the waitress said to us that we had to have this table ( in the middle of the room) as we hadn't booked! We almost walked out!
There didn't appear to be anyone in charge of these young people. Previous years retaurant management was very much in evidence. The waiting staff did what they could but it was obvious that they were under pressure trying to deliver a service. I don't blame the staff I blame management who have obviously made staff cut backs!
Having said all this We have to say that the meal was excellent , however we could not say this of the breakfast! This was awful!
Two weeks previously we had stayed at The Lygon Arms in Broadway, also a Puma Hotel, this was excelent . Shame on Puma for letting this hotel go to ruin!!!

Room Tip: Always book a delux room as these over look the topary garden. Anything else is basic. This time eve...
1 Thank Andrea B
Thank you for your review, however I am sorry that your fourth stay was not as good as your previous ones and that I did not have the opportunity to meet and discuss this with you during your visit.

Please do not hesitate in contacting me should you wish to discuss your stay in more detail or if you would like to return again.

Hyde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Having stayed at at Billesley Manor for a two day break with my daughter last weekend I felt the need to voice my opinion on what turned out to be a very disappointing experience. I booked this break through 'Secret Escapes' for my daughters birthday and was expecting a high standard 4 star hotel. On arrival we were allocated a room right at the top of the hotel which on first impressions was 'tired' but pleasant enough. However, the shower was non- existent and impossible to work, we were woken at 4am by an animal or bird of some description, that sounded as if it was in the room. We did not sleep very well and I asked for another room. This was accommodated and we were upgraded to a deluxe room. This room was 'cold' and had a shabby carpet and thread bare curtains. My main complaint was the lack of cleanliness in the hotel itself. The carpets didn't look like they had been cleaned or hoovered for considerable time and were very 'tired' looking and in need of replacement. My biggest complaint was the state of the crockery, especially the tea pots which I can only describe as filthy. I had to ask three times for a clean 'pot' one of which had congealed food stuck to the spout. The plates in the dining room were stacked whilst still wet and with bits of food stuck to them. Another guest also complained about this at breakfast. On a positive note, the quality of the food was wonderful but the edge taken of this when served on less than clean crockery! Also the lack of organisation in the breakfast dining room, when everything, especially crockery, cutlery and glasses were in short supply. I also found the staff to be indifferent to the problems we were encountering, replacing tea-pots and cups without any words of apology. I did voice my opinions on leaving the hotel to the reception staff. I did this because at no time were we asked if we had enjoyed our stay and there was no feed-back form. My comments regarding the crockery was met with ' perhaps they are emptying the tea-pots and then filling them back up' again no apology, I was told she would tell the 'Chef' 'perhaps he is not putting enough cleaning solution in the dish washer'. Overall we left the hotel extremely disappointed, it should have been a lovely pampering experience which is certainly was not !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank davidberry45
Jason M, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review following your recent stay. I am sorry that you were unable to discuss these points with me while at the hotel and I would certainly encourage you to contact me to discuss in person. I am sorry that on this occasion you did not fully enjoy your stay.

Croston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Good points: stunning building and gardens, atmospheric and romantic venue, perfectly positioned for Strafford, big and spacious rooms, tons of character and potential (see bad points), fantastic outlook across rolling fields, 10 mins from Park and Ride and taxi-able. Evening dinner was divine; breakfast was good albeit disorganised.

Bad points: Unfortunately, far too many. The décor is dated and tired and in need of refurbishment and investment with mismatched carpeting, tatty curtains and battered furniture. We were in a deluxe room – with torn curtains, shabby reproduction furniture and a bathroom that had seen better days. A small detail but the toilet paper was the cheapest possible … which seems indicative of the management’s general approach to housekeeping. The ‘spa’ was a dated pool with limited facilities – no Jacuzzi or relaxation area. The facilities weren’t particularly clean; the pool and changing rooms were cold with dirty floors. Very disappointing and didn’t really fulfil the expectations of a pamper/spa weekend. Unfortunately, it didn’t end there. What we found completely unacceptable was the general level of cleanliness. Carpets in public areas were in desperate need of a good vacuum, covered in dust and debris. The candle displays in the bar had filthy stale water in them. Without fail, every single meal was served using dirty crockery and cutlery. Breakfast crockery was covered in debris and specks from the previous diner; teapots were stained. A film of grease and stale milk coated the inside of the milk jugs. Pepper and salt pots were empty. We were served afternoon tea on a stand that had congealed and solid jam coating the feet and dirty plates. The dessert shot glasses were speckled with flecks. Worse, the teapot was very badly stained with lumps of congealed rice stuck to the spout. We at first put the consistently unclean crockery down to a failing dishwasher but the bad staining on the teapots and film on the milk jugs suggested that they were just being reused without washing. This completely ruined any enthusiasm and appetite for the meals as we pondered on hygiene standards behind the scenes if the staff were happy to serve on dirty crockery. We approached staff numerous times to change crockery and received no way of an apology. Which brings me to the staff unfortunately. Demotivated, miserable, lacking in any customer service skills except for the rare individual. Any requests were met with indifference and we were made to feel a nuisance. There was an oppressive atmosphere in the hotel to the point where we wanted to spend as little time in hotel as possible, which defeated the object of a relaxation and pamper weekend.

All in all, this is a beautiful character hotel with amazing potential with the right management and investment. It is a real shame as it could have been such as wonderful experience and we would have gone on to recommend it to friends.

Just a few changes could make an immense difference: create ambience with music in the bar and reception areas; employ friendly, trained, motivated and HAPPY staff; give the place a good clean; ensure that your crockery is washed properly (!); create atmosphere in the pool area with plants and relaxation areas; get a decent housekeeper who can maintain the level of cleanliness and standards that are to be expected in ANY hotel, never mind a four star. None of these require any more investment that some tender loving care and a management team that are passionate about standards and customer service. It would be very sad to see such a beautiful hotel further decline.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank campervandays
I am sorry that there were aspects of your stay which detracted from your overall enjoyment. I have shared your review with members of my management team and will be addressing your points.

Please may I encourage you to contact me directly to discuss your review as I was not given the opportunity to do so while you were with us. I hope to speak to you soon.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights excellent value and we stayed in a wonderful room. Food excellent and staff could not do enough to help you. Would recommend this hotel to everybody. Our room was room 5!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank stevie1003
Thank you for your recent most positive review following your stay at Billesley Manor. I am pleased that you felt your stay in room 5 represented good value for money, do come again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We just enjoyed a wonderful stay here, the perfect country house retreat in a stunning setting with a topiary garden.
Steeped in history, the beautiful accomodation has lots of character, tastefully decorated bedrooms and wood panelled dining rooms. Excellent service and fabulous food.
We thoroughly enjoyed the spa which has a good size swimming pool, sauna & steam room plus a wealth of treatments on offer.
It was a weekend of total relaxation & a place that we highly recommended. Close to stratford on avon to do the tourist thing but delightful to return to the manor for tranquility after the tourist crowds. We will most definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review. I am pleased that you were able to experience excellent service and fabulous food during your relaxing weekend. I do hope you will return again soon.