“Hen weekend”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Hen weekend”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Beautiful hotel set in fantastic gardens. Staff not very efficient though. Visited for a hen weekend and we were allocated a special room for our group which was a really good idea. There was also another hen "do" going on as well as a 50th birthday and an 80th celebration but none of the groups encroached on thee others space. Rooms were good but my shower was not working properly, (thermostat) either boiling hot or cold.
Main complaint was the staff. Our vegetarian was given a bowl of soup for her starter having identified herself as a "veggi" 5 minutes later staff were asking where the vegetarian was. She told them 3 times that she had already started to eat from the soup but they whipped it from under her nose and gave it to another guest (really?) Check out was a slow process and the receptionist did not bother to mention that we needed a code to exit the car park-a big frustration when we were ready to leave

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Jason M, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay where you were attending a hen weekend. I am sorry that you had cause to mention some deficiencies in the levels of service you experienced on this occasion. Please do contact me directly at the hotel if you wish to discuss in more detail.
I look forward to talking with you soon.

Jason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
Oldbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I visited on a hen do in a group of six. We had spa packages.

When we arrived there was a wedding party checking in and some issues with room bookings. We swapped our room to help out and were glad we did! Room 62 is a beautiful double not to be missed!

The hotel itself is gorgeous and really well maintained in its grounds. Fabulous gardens and good food.

My only criticism was the spa area didn't have enough loungers. There 6 and about 30 guests. Luckily the weather was beautiful so we sat outside and enjoyed afternoon tea in the gardens!

Massage was fabulous too!

Recommended even though the spa reviews worried me before we arrived but in my opinion it was perfectly acceptable.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Billesley Manor. I am pleased to read that you had a good time and your positive comments in regard to your Spa experience, our setting and dining. Thank you for your recommendation.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Well the use of yet another groupon voucher lead us to the Billesley Manor Hotel. What a fabulous looking building, the staff so friendly. My only gripe is that the changing rooms were so tiny and disjointed and the gym area was full......not with people but equipment. Way to much, looked cramped and uninviting. The yoga room, smelt musty as though rarely used. However on the plus side - the therapist Janet was excellent, so friendly without being to over the top. The young man in the bar was pleasant, the food excellent and it all looked extremely clean. Well done. Note to any management reading this please buy a few more loungers for by your pool and you would of nailed the whole day and maybe of had two new members....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review of your Spa day at Billelsey Manor. I am pleased that you had a great experience; I will ensure your review is shared with the team at the spa. I do hope that you will return again in the near future.

Glossop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We have just stayed here and agree with many of the other reviewers: the hotel is beautifully located, with gorgeous grounds and looks superb upon arrival . However, as with a number of Puma hotels, it desperately requires a large injection of cash to renovate and update décor and facilities. We found again, that a number of staff were helpful, pleasant and eager to do their best and it is not their fault that the hotel does look so tired; worn and mismatching carpets are not what a 4* hotel should be displaying. We were upgraded, free of charge ( as we are part of the Puma Leisurebreak "Club") to a very nice room (no. 33, in the main building) but there was no shower other than a rather primitive fixed attachment over the bath; it may be trivial, but I do expect a little better for this grade of hotel. How is a woman to wash her hair?? the answer is with difficulty, discomfort and many cursings! Additionally, the rooms are reached via a veritable warren of corridors and somewhat tortuous stairs resembling nothing so much as the servants quarters! The food was, as others have noted, mixed: the evening meals were very nouvelle in portion size and I am not sure it is acceptable that any real vegetable has to be separately paid for. Breakfast was adequate and we had no trouble with it running out as I had read about.
Overall, I think Puma have some great basics, in that they have a chain of hotels in lovely settings and they do appear to employ some really good people BUT, to maintain the standards for which they are charging, they do need to spend large sums of money. We will think twice before booking another Puma stay.

Room Tip: Room 33 overlooked the topiary garden ( beautiful) ; very comfortable bed BUT shower facilities very...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review following your stay. I have shared this with the team here at the hotel and appreciate your constructive comments.

I very much hope that you will return again in the future as we do have such a great setting in such super grounds.
Stratford Upon Avon
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel was not what we had been led to expect from web site ,very tired after first night problem so rested the next day instead of going out .Would not recommend or stay there again ,a past employee of the hotel how we met agreed with our comment and said that see left because of bad management

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Bearstedviews
Jason M, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Following your post, I am sorry that I was not given the opportunity to meet with you personally while at the hotel to discuss your stay in detail. I would certainly encourage you to contact me directly at the hotel.

I look forward to talking to you in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Hotel was fantastic - booked through Secret Escapes and got dinner and afternoon tea included in the stay. Food in the restaurant was spectacular and the staff in the restaurant were very helpful and attentive. Room was comfortable and spacious.
Thoroughly enjoyable stay

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay ay Billesley Manor. I am so pleased you had such a fantastic time. It is great to get such positive feedback in regard to your room and your restaurant experience.

Stratford Upon Avon
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Overall experience has left us both disappointed and cheated. The hotel should be better it does not deserve four stars.
The room (66) is not a room in the main hotel but within the "travel lodge" section. the rooms are of a standard one would expect from a chain, the difference is the chains would charge a third of the price. aside from the aforementioned bathroom issues the duvet cover on the bed had staining and marks on it, the bedroom window did not close properly and we had road noise all night. the walls are so thin that you can clearly hear talking in adjacent rooms. There are no storage facilities in the room, neither drawers or a wardrobe, only hanging space. The carpets and soft furnishings in our room are both worn and dirty.
The general appearance of the hotel is one of being very tired. worn and dirty carpets and wall coverings throughout. The area around the bar is shameful, upon ordering drinks I noticed the bar area and bottles that were being served from were dusty and dirty. The glasses we drank from were covered in finger marks. We ordered a bar meal, the bill with the drinks was £40 for two burgers and two drinks, for this price I would have expected good food and service we received neither, our order was mixed up, the buns were dry and the condiments took so long to arrive that we had eaten most of the food by their arrival, the chips however were very tasty indeed.
Our main meal on the Saturday was at best adequate, we were expecting a dining experience not a quick in and out. The chicken was ok but only ok, none of the starters took our fancy so we passed on a starter. The sweet was in fact horrible. I described it as a school dinner, microwaved apple pie a solid lump of cream and some apple sauce served on a disgusting greasy plate littered with fingerprints. I had to eat my main course with a bent knife.
The breakfast on Saturday was about a travelodge standard certainly not four star.The tea pot was stained, marked and dirty. the toaster was so full of crumbs that it smoked when used which is sad as it failed to toast the bread on both sides. We booked via buy a gift as this was a Christmas gift and as such was fixed, we could not change it nor cancel it, we would have done either if we could, I would have asked for a refund but as the hotel and food suggests you are not interested in customer service. The voucher included an afternoon tea, which we were going to have tomorrow (Sunday) but looking at the numerous comments on trip advisor we are forgoing and checking out directly after breakfast to go home. not only we will not return to this hotel we will actively discourage everyone we know or come into contact with from spending their money in a Puma hotel.
If the hotel was cheaper most of the above could be excused, sadly the value for money here is just terrible.

3 Thank Paul S
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit and that I was unable to discuss your points directly with you. The room in which you stayed is located within one of our barn conversions and are done in a contemporary style and I am sorry they were not to your liking.

If you would like to discuss your stay with me please do not hesitate in contacting me at the hotel.