“Poor Hotel”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Colchester
“Poor Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

I booked this hotel after shopping around on the internet for a luxury break for my wife, although the building is very impressive on arrival it is very clear when you arrive in reception it is only a facade. The receptionist spoke very little English and sort of directed us to our room which I must say was very clean and made for a pleasant nights sleep. In the morning we decided to treat our self's to what must be the most over priced breakfasts in the South of England @ £14.99 each we where shown to a table with bits of food on the knifes and Fawkes and stains on the table cloth. The food is left for hours under a heat lamp and was un-edible when we got it back to our table. When we came to check out the first thing the receptionist said was that we had got a great deal for the night £129 ? No this was the final straw so I questioned her about the staff and breakfast only to receive a hostile response ! Needless to say this is the first and last time we stay with this group, if only I had read the reviews before booking.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew_Tollick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

I visited this hotel with my wife, on our Wedding anniversary. Fortunately we had come from another Hotel and were on the way home, but were going to call in for a pre-booked afternoon tea. The imposing building looks fantastic, but on arrival at reception things went rapidly downhill. The receptionist looked like she was dressed in a DIY store outfit, and the reception itself looked like it had been thrown together. She obviously had no idea we were attending, and ushered us through to the Bar, where she told us someone would be along to attend to us. Then she came back and asked if we wanted Tea or Coffee (Afternoon tea??). The entire place was deserted apart from one other staff member who spent the entire time on the phone and then vanished; I can only describe it as being like the Marie Celeste. I walked outside to find a number of tables littered with the remains of Lunch, and all with ashtrays full of nub ends. We sat around for a while, then found the toilets, which smelt awful and had water on the floor. After about 10 mins I looked round for someone to complain to, but on finding nobody decided to leave. No wonder they have a key-code on the exit barrier, it is probably to stop unhappy guests from leaving without paying. I have no idea what the food would have been like as I certainly wasn’t go to hang around any longer to find out, but they obviously were not going to be freshly baked! Absolutely dreadful take my advice and avoid.!!

Bedale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

My partner had a back problem which was keeping us both disturbed at night, so we asked for a twin room.
When we booked in and were told we were 'out in a barn' I saw Lynne's face drop.
But the room ( No. 46 ) was astonishing.
And the leisure facilities are superb.
We didn't have an evening meal during our two-day stay as we both felt the price for a rather-average menu was a little excessive.
BUT :
Without a doubt, of all the many hotels we have stayed in over the last several years, this is the one which is at the top of our list for 'bestest ever'.

Second is the 'Ledore Falls Hotel' on Derwentwater.

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

My friend and I went here on a spa break, we stayed in room 24 which was right opposite the spa. The room was huge very clean and he had great views over the gardens.

The spa treatments were fantastic and we couldnt fault them. the food was delightful and service exceptional at all times. Breakfast was a little diappointing in the fact that it took a while for replenishments to be made on the buffet but that i my one and only complaint. we found the reception staff very helpful and friendly at all times. I would not hesitate to go back again.

Please dont read all the bad reviews as it will put you off going but i can assure any one that books thishotel you wont be diappointed, the views alone will assure you of that

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

After reading some reviews on this hotel i was not looking forward to our pre-booked stay for our friends wedding.
However, i was pleasantly suprised!!!
They managed to give us an early check in, so we could get ready for the wedding. The room was very small and a little dark, but it was clean, comfortable and well set out. We were in one of the barn conversions.
The bed was a small double but was comfortable.
The bathroom was great and the water pressure was excellent!! I had a lovely shower.

The wedding was beautifully organised and the staff could not have been more helpful. The food was great, however the bar prices were extortionate!!! About £8 for a pint of lager and a soft drink!! Also there was only 1 bar staff in the day, which lead to HUGE bar queues. However in the evening they had a bar in the reception room, and the chefs chocolate eclairs were AMAZING!!!

The breakfast was great and all of the wedding guests were catered for separately. The cooked breakfast was hot and tasty and there was plenty of choice of cereals. Toast, tea and coffee on each table and plenty of fruit juice.

The reception staff were generally very helpful, sometimes grudgingly so. But we had several things brought to our room for us....extra milks, ice cubes and a bed sheet (it was too hot for the duvet).

I certainly would not class this hotel as a 4* establishment as i have stayed in far better 3* hotels. It is, however, a very pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
billesleymanor_gm, Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2010
Thank you for your positive comments, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the wedding you attended at Billesley Manor. I am however sorry to hear that you would not agree with the AA 4 star rating, our services and facilities that you have rated quite highly are what the AA rate us against. I sincerely hope that you will return to the Barcelo Billesley Manor in the future.
London England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

I was staying over the CLA Game Fair, so it was very busy. The public areas are inadequate for the number of rooms- it was difficult to get a seat in the bar in the evening.

Nobody offered to help with luggage, which was surprising at the price.

The outhouse in which I was billeted (the furthest from the car park) had pokey rooms with totally inadequate water pressure, it took 20 minutes to run a bath, and the block smelt of chicken muck- there is obviously a chicken farm adjacent.

Drinks and food were overpriced, although the latter was not too bad.

I would avoid.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback, please accept my apologies for any disappointment caused due to the points you have raised, assistance is always available for baggage and I am sorry that this was not made clear to you. I must point out that although we do enjoy some 'country' fragrances there is no chicken farm nearby. I sincerely hope that you did have an enjoyable weekend at the Game fair.
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

Staffs are friendly but seem to be unable to cope with the day to day running of such a big house,
Rooms are tired and in need of cleaning toilets and taps in the bathroom are in need of repair and investment.
Fabulas panelled dining room Waitresses accommodating service was nice and friendly evening meal the food was poor and breakfast was worse.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments after your recent stay, I am sorry you found your room to be tired and in need of decoration. We have a large proportion of rooms that are modern and refurbished and we are working through our bedrooms to redecorate and improve were necessary.