“Cannot be described as a premium hotel - poor value even with Tesco vouhers”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Cannot be described as a premium hotel - poor value even with Tesco vouhers”
Reviewed 28 September 2010

First impression was good due to the beautiful building but there it ended. We were directed by the receptionist to a room in the main building which didn't exist - she incorrectly directed us. We were supposed to have a premium room - the bathroom tap dripped causing the water to run off the glass bowel sink on to the floor. The carpets were stained and the furniture shabby. The pipes woke me up during the night. When it came to completing the satisfaction questionnaire there was no pen to be found. Breakfast was a shambles - agency staff with little training or so I was told when I cmplained to the supervisor. I cannot believe American visitors in particulare would be prepared to accept such an inferior experince for what is supposed to be a premium hotel. Hw embarrasing for us Brits. This break didn't cost anything as we paid with Tesco vouchers - buit what a waste of vouchers!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jackie186349

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
Mirfield
Reviewed 26 September 2010

I arrived at Billesley Manor with 22 of my family and friends to celebrate my 75th Birthday. We had chosen Billesley Manor because we were attracted by the brochure description of the hotel and its grounds. We were not disappointed in fact they were even better.
During our stay we spent most of our time under the supervision of the Food and Beverage Manager, Louie, and he really did make our stay most memorable. At all times he and his staff were very professional and attentive and when asked for whatsoever we were greeted with "That's not a problem" and the request was met.
On the night of my Birthday Party the hotel was hosting not just ourselves but also a substantial Wedding Party and the hotel dining room was full of evening meal diners. The Food and Beverage Team coped with all this activity whilst still retaining a high level of attentiveness and service, Thanks to Louie and his team my party had a very enjoyable and most memorable stay.
If you want a "that's not a problem" occasion then Billesley Manor and Louie are strongly reccomended.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2010

I stayedwith my wife in Barcelo Billesley Manor in June 2010. It was entirely for leisure although it did mark our wedding anniversary.
Initially I had booked a room on the 2nd floor - an error which was entirely mine. I had not made myself aware that there was in fact an absence of a lift because the hotel is listed. I needed a ground floor as my wife is disabled.
The Duty Manager was brilliant. He took the time and trouble to find us a ground floor room with a good view.
The room was spacious and very clean and the room service was beyond reproach.
The hotel has quite a few amenities available for all. As we did not use any of them there is no way that I can comment on how good they were. Though the pool did look very inviting !
We were as close to Stratford as we wished to be and Stratford itself is clean but busy in June. Unsurprisingly so. The hotel location was good for us as we were able to do all we wished to do without travelling too far.
We were staying on a half board basis and all meals were of a high standard. The restaurant staff were polite, professional and eager to please.
We met the General Manager and what a lovely humourous person she is. Just hope she is not promted before our next visit there.
G Allen

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2010

The staff were very polite and helpful making it a pleasant stay. I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Colchester
Reviewed 14 September 2010

I booked this hotel after shopping around on the internet for a luxury break for my wife, although the building is very impressive on arrival it is very clear when you arrive in reception it is only a facade. The receptionist spoke very little English and sort of directed us to our room which I must say was very clean and made for a pleasant nights sleep. In the morning we decided to treat our self's to what must be the most over priced breakfasts in the South of England @ £14.99 each we where shown to a table with bits of food on the knifes and Fawkes and stains on the table cloth. The food is left for hours under a heat lamp and was un-edible when we got it back to our table. When we came to check out the first thing the receptionist said was that we had got a great deal for the night £129 ? No this was the final straw so I questioned her about the staff and breakfast only to receive a hostile response ! Needless to say this is the first and last time we stay with this group, if only I had read the reviews before booking.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew_Tollick
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I visited this hotel with my wife, on our Wedding anniversary. Fortunately we had come from another Hotel and were on the way home, but were going to call in for a pre-booked afternoon tea. The imposing building looks fantastic, but on arrival at reception things went rapidly downhill. The receptionist looked like she was dressed in a DIY store outfit, and the reception itself looked like it had been thrown together. She obviously had no idea we were attending, and ushered us through to the Bar, where she told us someone would be along to attend to us. Then she came back and asked if we wanted Tea or Coffee (Afternoon tea??). The entire place was deserted apart from one other staff member who spent the entire time on the phone and then vanished; I can only describe it as being like the Marie Celeste. I walked outside to find a number of tables littered with the remains of Lunch, and all with ashtrays full of nub ends. We sat around for a while, then found the toilets, which smelt awful and had water on the floor. After about 10 mins I looked round for someone to complain to, but on finding nobody decided to leave. No wonder they have a key-code on the exit barrier, it is probably to stop unhappy guests from leaving without paying. I have no idea what the food would have been like as I certainly wasn’t go to hang around any longer to find out, but they obviously were not going to be freshly baked! Absolutely dreadful take my advice and avoid.!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Bedale
Reviewed 1 September 2010

My partner had a back problem which was keeping us both disturbed at night, so we asked for a twin room.
When we booked in and were told we were 'out in a barn' I saw Lynne's face drop.
But the room ( No. 46 ) was astonishing.
And the leisure facilities are superb.
We didn't have an evening meal during our two-day stay as we both felt the price for a rather-average menu was a little excessive.
BUT :
Without a doubt, of all the many hotels we have stayed in over the last several years, this is the one which is at the top of our list for 'bestest ever'.

Second is the 'Ledore Falls Hotel' on Derwentwater.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple