“nice hotel but not without a few post refurb "snags"”

The White Swan Hotel
Reviewed 31 July 2012

First and foremost the staff in this hotel are excellent. We arrived late, missed the dinner deadline but still the chef sorted out something for us without a fuss.

The food is good and the chef knows how to cook a steak properly so its a good start. Its a fullers establishment with a master cellarman and cask marque, and that basically means excellent well kept beers and a good choice of products in the bar. I think it was steve who was one of the restaurant managers that was extremely helpful and courteous at all times

The hotel as many say doesn't really have a car park but there is a deal with a nearby car park and its not a major issue.

The room had obviously had a deliberate design to it and looked very presentable with a big bedstead type bed, various pillows and cushions. The bathroom was big with a walk in shower, slipper bath and separate sinks.

Thats the good stuff, but we did have a few issues such as the air conditioning not working properly although this was dealt with by their very friendly maintenance guy coming along and hoovering it out (so preventative maintenance is key!) and it was ice cold again. Hot water went off due to gas issue that was fixed by the hotel fairly quickly and then on check out on the sunday the lift clapped out.....But generally I think these are more teething issues than an overall indication of the standard of this hotel and thus the very good rating.

So we'd stay here again as its central to the town, its good good food and beer and great staff...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,045)

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Had lunch here very friendly helpful staff. We had sandwiches and chips which was freshly prepared and delicious. When in Stratford you must visit this restaurant excellent. We found the restaurant very clean and well kept. We loved our time there especially the fact that the restaurant has an old world look about it. A definite must when you re in Stratford !

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We visited at night for a drink, it's a great pub , spacious , nice atmosphere, relaxing furniture too chill ,drink and chat or the restaurant which was informal but high quality service. Two of has a share starter of meats/breads/olives & oil, hubby had steak whilst I had cod , the whole meal was excellent from start too finish , the staff were attentive, polite, efficient and all with a smile. Nothing was too much trouble. We had read reviews on TA prior too our visit too the area. The White Swan definitely exceeded our expectations

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2012

was almost put off by lack of own car park. Dont be as plenty nearby within 2 min walk. Check hotel and they will advise you. Full of character but with mod cons. Would definately stay again. Breakfast was good and if you wanted your pastries warm they were happy to do that for you. Free wi fi. Right in town and 10 min walk to river etc.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I stayed in The White Swan for 2 nights during my July 2012 trip to Stratford-upon-Avon as a treat to myself over my birthday, I was in town for the World Shakespeare Festival. My single room was nicely decorated, the bathroom very sufficient, but for having a major renovation just a few months prior, I was disappointed my 2 things: first, the phone in my room didn't work. As a result, I had to be notified by a runner when I had a call at the front desk and had to run down myself to get it. I also couldn't call the front desk when there were other issues, like when I couldn't figure out how to make the room lights come on (you have to insert your room key card into a slot by the door, who knew), and regarding the room temperature. My room was literally FREEZING COLD the entire two days and nights I was there. I did tell the front desk and they said they'd turned on the A/C the day before I got there and were having problems getting it regulated. They said they'd turn off the A/C for my room at the main switch, which didn't work; they tried coming up to my room to turn it off, that didn't work either. I had to ask for an extra comforter for the bed and I ended up sleeping in 3 layers of clothes to prevent catching a cold but was still very chilled. They did not offer to amend or reduce my bill in any way for these problems when I checked out, which I thought was poor customer service on their part; they didn't even offer to comp my measly £5 dessert from the night before. For the very expensive room rate I paid, I was disappointed by these problems and would not stay at the hotel again. Another minor side note: I thought their breakfast menu was not very vegetarian or vegan friendly, the only option for us was toasted porridge, which I had both mornings because all other choices included meat and/or eggs.

Room Tip: The view from my single room on top floor was not good at all, just looked out at the rooftop and ot...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Such a beautiful hotel! My daughter and I had one night here while travelling through southern England. The hotel is amazing. Our room was 2 twin bed room with huge bathroom! The beds were super comfy and the bathroom was to die for. Deep soaking tub, gorgeous tile, just wow. Free wifi also! The only complaint (which was really of no consequence at all) was that the view from our room was only of the roof. Otherwise it was a total 10! The hotel itself was impeccably decorated in a very chic designer look and the staff was warm and friendly. Breakfast was a buffet of meats, cheeses, the best homemade yogurt ever, cereals, pastries, fruits, and juices, along with your order from the menu of Benedict eggs, omelettes, etc. I have really no complaints about this awesome place and would highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank julie h
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I stayed one night at the Swan Hotel in Stratford upon Avon with my Sister & Mum in a Grand Twin with a sofa bed. The hotel is a great mix of old & new, sympathetically styled, playing on it's historic roots in the old part of the building and and combining that with clean elegant & modern designs in the new part.

My sister didn't sleep too well on the sofa bed, but the twin beds were fine. The room was nicely decorated and the bathroom was big with a rolltop bath and large shower. Couldn't fault the cleanliness. We didn't have a view as the room looked out over the roof below which wasn't great but for one night we weren't bothered. A kettle is provided as is a fridge with soft drinks, milk and water. Take extra milk & tea or coffee if you - like us are constantly brewing up!

We were down for 9.30am and although there was plenty for us, the choice on the buffet was a bit limited, I think if we had got up earlier there would probably a better selection. The 'full english' was perfectly cooked and we had tea coffee & juices. All of the staff in the restaurant & reception were very friendly and always well presented, proffessional & courteous. Nothing was too much trouble and we are pretty demanding guests!

All-in-all very pleased with my choice of hotel & I will definately be going back again with my husband for a weekend break sometime.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family