“Amazing food!”

The White Swan Hotel
“Amazing food!”
Reviewed 18 September 2012 via mobile

We accidentally came across this place. My husband was just looking for a traditional English pub. We walked in to this place and the internal interior was just amazing so we decided to stay and have our dinner there. We ordered their 2 x 3 courses set menu for £19 and we didn't really have any expectations but when the food came out oh my they were amazing. The whole experience was amazing. One of the best restaurant meal we have ever had.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
kingston upon Hull
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We have just returned from a weekend at the White Swan Inn in Stratford Upon Avon.

The building is charming and we stayed in the 'Romeo and Juliet' room.
The room was the very front centre of the building and unfortunately was over the bar and looking out over the very busy road. (Very noisy until about midnight)

The room was pleasant but small and there were a few finishing touches that needed to be sorted out, like a flickering light bulb in the bathroom, squeaking wardrobe door (all very petty) but just little things that could improve it.

Some guests in the bar area thought it funny to set off the fire alarm, which was very disconcerting when we had gone to bed. When the alarm finally went off, no notification was given that we should not continue to evacuate and we had to contact reception. It went off twice more during that night and again we had to contact reception for information.
The police were called and the commotion that continued outside our window was very noisy. It would have been better if they had been asked to conduct their discussions away from the residents rooms. (Not really the fault of the hotel)

The staff were very friendly although service was a little disorganised, we ordered a cream tea and had eaten half before the coffee was served.
Having said that there was a particular young man for whom nothing was too much trouble. We had returned from the theatre and requested some food, to which we were told the ovens had been switched off, however he did enquire in the kitchens and produced us some lovely food.
Breakfast was good, but again a little disorganised.

Overall an average stay that could be greatly improved by a few minor amendments.

Room Tip: If you want a restful night prior to midnight, dont choose the romeo and juliet room
South England
Reviewed 16 September 2012

A wonderful centrally located boutique hotel. It has recently been refurbished to a very high standard. Being a Fullers hotel the bar also had a wide selection of real ales and wine. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The food quality and service in the evening and at breakfast was fantastic. Breakfast was a wonderful spread with both cold options and a full English breakfast which included a veggie option. The little details like free water, free wifi, great selection of teas in the room etc.. were a refreshing change from todays hotel norm. All in all a really great hotel that we could not recommend more highly.

LINLITHGOW
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Very impressed with the levelof attention to detail. Recently undergone a massive makeover and boy does it show !.Furnishings and fittings very high end,very clean. Reasonably priced given the level of comfort. Great choice at breakfast. We booked a Grandoom which was at the front end of the hotel in the oldest part. Superb but the one down side at the moment is the level of noise created by the streets being cleaned at 5.30 on a Sunday morning.This hotel and other businessesin the town are petitioning the local Council to try to resolve the problem so hopefully the issue will be resolved.If you are planning a visit to the birthplace of Shakespeare then this is the place to stay, especially as his home and now museum is only a few steps away !.
The Swan Hotel is as elegant as the name suggests.

Velden am Woerthersee, Austria
Reviewed 15 September 2012

The good reviews convinced me to book this place. And it was clearly a good choice. I arrived on the train and it was only about fifteen minutes, of not less, walk there. Location is great for other reasons as well, pretty much everything in Stratford is within very easy walking distance. It is a beautiful old building, tastefully restored. There is a large pub on street level. At the reception I got a very warm welcome. My room was on the first floor. Everything looked new, refurbishment must have been very recently. The room didn't spare any luxury, and had a very comfortable bed, air condition, TV, a big bathroom with a nice shower, all being perfectly clean and very comfortable. Only the size of the room was rather on the smaller end, but it didn't matter to me. Beyond the comfort, the room was very atmospheric, and upon refurbishment a good job combining old stylish elements with modern comfort. The pub closes at normal English time, and too food is only available until nine (if I recall correctly), what I found disappointing. However for hotel guests drinks are available for much longer, if not all night. Breakfast partly from the buffet, with cooked dishes to order. It is served in a very atmospheric historic restaurant. Staff was very friendly. I was really happy with the place, and I can only recommend it. Value for money I found good as well.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We stayed in one of the character rooms, Hamlet, which is at the front of the hotel. Whilst this room cost us £120 per night it was huge and full of tasteful character. The rest of the hotel was equally stunning. I couldn`t give the hotel full marks for the following reasons. The breakfast experience is very rushed by the staff. You are taken to a table and before you sit down are given hurried instructions for the self service cold options. If you are not switched on you will miss it. The full English was poor. The scrambled egg was semi runny and the bacon wasn`t grilled or fried but steamed. My recommendation would be to go room only and go to a local cafe of which there are plenty in Stratford. Dinner was really good if a little overpriced.
There is however an issue which pulls down this hotel which the staff have no control. Like many town centres Stratford has a number of homeless people who move around during the night, drunk and arguing loudly. On consecutive nights we were woken for about 10 minutes.
Dispite these negatives, we would stay again with the hotel`s many positive virtues.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Customer service poor

Some front of house staff lack personality and therefore appear uninterested and non cooperative

The breakfast menu was a delight - however the full English I ordered was cafe food at best - I hunted for a good 5 mins looking for my black pudding and eventually found it hiding behind a bean which was situated alongside my oil ridden bacon. All this was after we had been ushered to our breakfast table which stil had the previous guests dirty plates, cups, cutlery and linen on it, this shocked me. " please take your seats and get an orange juice whilst I get a member of staff to remove this and redress your table" was the greet we had from the breakfast manager. Stil at least he said please I guess.

At 2.30am the fire alarm went off - for about 4 blinking minutes, and as mush as this is a terrible inconvenience at such an ungodly hour I do accept that this was an accident and would normally sweep such trauma under the carpet and put it down to an 'unfortunate' mishap, however when I confronted the english receptionist regarding such forrory the following morning i was almost made to feel that it was my fault and was offered absolutely no apology whatsoever.

I paid £140 per night for a short break with my wife and friends, I could have booked a travel lodge, premier inn or another one of the UK's finest convienient hotel chains but thought instead to 'treat' ourselves and do it in style ( yes I know what your thinking......."you need to get out more"), I was very disappointed overall.

I have to say that the establishment is well furnished and decorated to a high standard and very impressive, it's just the fact that the staff (not all but a good few) would rather be elsewhere and that the customer is an inconvenience to them.

I also feel that the price tag does not match the overall experience - yes very nice but nothing special, car parking is also an extra cost. I would be happy to pay £80 - £100 per night b&b if the service was first class, however I will not stay here again which I'm disappointed about because I frequently visit Stratford.

What a shame, perhaps they could adopt a slogan from the purple hotel chain - everything's premier but the service!!

Oh and one other thing, if anyone does book a room and find them selves in room 209 please have look for my sock - last seen loitering around the bedside cabinet area.

Ciao my friends