“The White Swan Is Perfect”

The White Swan Hotel
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The White Swan is top class all round and deserves a lot higher ranking on Tripadvisor and I am quite sure it will climb to the top.The hotel is wonderful and the staff are keep to please, the lad on reception with the glasses on was very helpful and is a credit to the hotel - I hope the owners take note just how good he is.

We stopped in the Romeo And Juliet which was very nice which overlooked the front of the hotel and we had no problem with noise as other reviews stated.The standard of the room is very good and the bathroom was very impressive.Its well worth paying the extra cost for this room.

The hotel is spotlessly clean, all the food was good and served hot.Location is great, all in all nothing could be improved.

Would we stop again - it's a big yes and a thumbs up to the White Swan

Room Tip: Pay the extra and book a Character Room, the Romeo and Juliet is superb
There are newer reviews for The White Swan Hotel

Reviewed 25 August 2013

My partner and I had never visited Stratford upon Avon before, after researching places to stay The White Swan came up trumps. The location was spot on. We arrived early and checked the area out, spoke to a lovely chap on reception and was able to check
in early, which was such a benefit to us. We spent the evening in a Classic room which was on the small side, however, all room facilities were wonderful. Breakfast was of a high standard and well worth it!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We decided to stay at the White Swan having been impressed during a quick look around it on a previous visit to Stratford upon Avon. The hotel is in a lovely building which although being renovated recently has managed to retain an old world look to it. The hotel is very well situated, close to the railway station, the River and all the attractions of Stratford. The staff were polite and helpful at all times. We were given room 201 which was a decent size and comfortable. Even the bathroom was huge and the shower was amazingly good. I do not sleep well in hotels generally but my friend said that the bed was comfortable and external noise was minimal. We had our dinner in the hotel restaurant, which is actually attached to the pub, and also our breakfast in the same place, actually at the same table. the dining room is nice however the food itself was only average, the most disappointing aspect of the weekend. In addition the kitchen is quite a long way from the restaurant so food tends to be a little on the cold side by the time it reaches you. This is our only gripe however as overall we really enjoyed our stay. I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: I would imagine that the rooms overlooking the main road could be noisy at night, especially at the...
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the white swan and I must say, we had a super time. We used it as a base to explore the beautiful Stratford upon Avon. So glad we chose here in walking distance of everywhere. What a beautiful, well maintained hotel. The rooms were clean, fresh and had that little touch o specialness surrounding them. Breakfast in the morning was spot on, self serve continental with various juices then served a lovely selection of cooked choices. Would definitely recommend to couples looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We loved our room in the White Swan, a well located pub cum hotel in the centre of Stratford. We were put in Macbeth (103). Lots of character and original features, plenty of space, four poster bed and a massive bathroom. Roll top bath and separate shower. Good value for what it was as well. There was a little noise from the road, but other than that it was perfect.

The common areas were also attractive, traditional and comfortable with a pleasant, wood panelled public bar downstairs.

Unfortunately, the service didn't quite live up to the standard of the room. It wasn't bad, but lacked the polish I was hoping for. No offer of help with bags, they forgot several items at breakfast and had to be reminded. Most annoyingly, they turned us away for dinner when the restaurant was, at best, half full. Apparently, they had two big bookings in but it was only 8:00 PM at the time we asked. The bar lady said they had decided not to accept any more people after 7:59 given the big bookings. At 8:01 this seemed a tad lazy, especially as we were staying. There was a nice Greek place next door so it didn't really matter, but it did not reflect well on the hotel.

If we had been staying at a more rustic place out in the countryside then I probably wouldn't have noticed these little issues, but the White Swan clearly wishes to be a traditional, but slick hotel with a pub attached rather than a pub with some rooms upstairs. It needs to work on its service to do itself justice.

Room Tip: For a large, characterful room with a four poster and big bathroom choose 103, "Macbeth".
1  Thank Oliver B
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We only stayed here overnight but I found the room perfectly fine. The en suite was lovely with two separate shower heads both of which were very good. There was a choice of teas and coffee and in the fridge a small bottle of fresh milk which I personally thought was a great touch.
The bed was firm and comfortable but the pillows a little soft for my taste but I suspect that says more about me than it does about the hotel.
We didn't eat a evening meal at the hotel but the breakfast was very good indeed.
The hotel was clean and if its to your taste it has retained an old world feel.
All in all I would certainly recommend this hotel and if I ever need to stay in Stratford again this is where I will be staying.
I didnt use a fitness room or pool. For all I know there isn't even one there to be honest.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and I had a fortnight travelling around the UK and we both agreed that this hotel was our favourite of them all.

We managed to book through Booking.com a room for £90 per night having just left a hotel "the Varsity in Cambridge" having paid £230 per night, this was meant as a treat as I dont normally pay those sort of prices.

Well the pricing should have been the other way around as for value the Varsity was a rip off and the White Swan was a bargain, we had only been there for two hours and we decided to book an extra night that is how good it was.

The location is perfect for visiting Stratford Upon Avon, with areas to sit outside and enjoy the weather, or go inside and sit in one of the most welcoming and cosy environments one could wish for.

We only had one meal in the hotel but I have to say the meal was excellent and reasonable priced, I also asked for something that was not on the menu to go with my steak, and without any hesitation the chef delivered what can only be described as a lovely sauce.

The room itself was very nice being a good size and very comfortable, having coffee and tea making facilities where they give you lovely biscuits and proper milk in a small carton. Its these little things can make the difference and the Varsity Hotel need to take some lessons.

I know the price paid is normally more than we paid but it really is a wonderful hotel, with lovely staff and facilities and we would not hesitate staying here again even at a higher price than we paid.