“Historic Hotel in centre of town, but lacks attention from reception”

The White Swan Hotel
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed for one night at The White Swan Hotel recently and I was disappointed because when I made the reservation on line for two rooms to accommodate our family, thus being a classic room plus a grand room, it turned out we actually got two classic rooms! We tried talking to reception but the answer was that there were no rooms available (mid January??) , or they didn't care very much to bother.. We ended staying in two tiny rooms, and the one suppose to be a "grand" room , based on the receptionist, is actually on the web site as a classic!
We had the dinner and breakfast rate, but can't say it was a good deal at all. The food was bad, below average and service was really slow. The two student waitresses that were attending tables just could not manage the restaurant and the crowd at the bar area.

The high points were definitively the history of the beams and the XVth century Fresco discovered on the wall plus some influences toward Shakespeare, but service from both hotel and restaurant were disappointing.

What makes a place special and worth while being mentioned to friends is when every guest is treated with the most respect and attention and unfortunately it was not the experience we had at The White Swan Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The White Swan Hotel

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I booked a weekend away to treat my boyfriend for his birthday end of Jan. Booked a Classic room as the prices were a bit high for the premium rooms. However, due to said imminent birthday I asked if there was a chance of a complimentary upgrade and was told we might receive an upgrade on check in. However, on the day we were told no availability, so a bit disappointed for my fella. Never mind, the Classic double was lovely and the bathroom spotless with a very generously sized shower cubicle, proper milk and bottled water in the fridge. However, no proper tea, just green fancy stuff so milk remained unused. Beware, the restaurant prices are a bit steep also and the steak I had was quite fatty and undercooked (I asked for medium but it was bleeding). Still the wine was nice and the special offer white was good value for money and the staff were lovely and gave us both a complimentary glass of port to make up for the disappointing steak. No discount on the bill unfortunately. Breakfast was also a disappointment apart from the yoghurts which were the nicest I've ever tasted. Avoid the scrambled eggs.

Room Tip: I believe the Character rooms are nice so upgrade if you can afford it. However, the Classic double...
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Arrived after long travels. Obviously recently remodeled, all very nice. Hotel staff VERY helpful, needed immediate help with laundry and they were very accommodating, took care of all my issues. All staff very friendly. Room was VERY nice with good working desk and all amenities. Comfortable bed and overall very nice room. Pub was nice with several real ales. Had dinner in the restaurant and was excellent. Service good and food well prepared, nice flavor combinations. I look forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: I reserved a double room, was nice sized with good bed.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a lovely place to stay and also do call in for food and drinks its a charming friendley place log fires roaring candles lit everywhere really romantic place i love it cant fault anything with this place rooms are gorgeous

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank julie m
Jim_Hughes_GM, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear julie m

What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards

Jim Hughes

Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Booked in December for a post Christmas break for the wife and I. We had been to the white swan previously for a drink and said that we would love to stay here. So were pleasantly suprised when I checked on trip advisor and it was only £69 a night. We had the most amazing stay from the time we checked until we left. All of the staff so pleasant. Even just passing in the corridor. We will definitely be back. Looking forward to it already. If I have to fault anything the sausage at breakfast was very strong and did repeat on us all day. Would give the white swan 6 circles. Excellent

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mark N

Wow! What a great review! Thank you for your great comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back to The White Swan very soon!

Kind regards

Jim Hughes

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the White Swan Hotel (SOA) from 23/01/2014 to 24/01/2014, and we have to stay the experience was very good indeed.
Firstly the location is excellent, very central for the railways and the shops. We were so very near to everything that it was perfect.
The staff were exceellent,the receptionist Lana is very professional in her attitude to her job,and also very friendly and helpful. She went over and beyond her duty to help us with information as regards, buses, touristry things to do, this all made for a stress free break.

The Manager was very charming in his Italian way, he couldn't do more to make our stay so lovely, and all the other staff were very helpful both at diinner time and at breakfast time, again they couldn't do more for us.

Our children gave us this break as a treat and we shall definitely be going back in the spring/ summertime so we can take in the beautiful views and of course visit Shakespeare's house.

In summary a beautiful hotel and extrememly helpful staff.

Mr & Mr De- Riggs

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We booked only the day before as a last minute stopover to break a journey from SW to NW at somewhere picturesque, the Hotel/Inn is absolutely lovely fabulous location in Stratford (once you find it on the one way system) slightly let down by no on site parking though the public car park used is a 5 minute walk away and was £12 per 24 hours (I must have missed this info on their website) we booked a character room and boy did it have character bucket loads, room 101 Hamlet absolutely charming not a right angle in sight, sloping floors/walls lovely half tester bed, beautiful bathroom with copper roll top bath fabulous large double shower with good pressure.

The downside to this charming hotel was the noise, our room was above the bar/restaurant we may as well have been sat at the table with the people below us, this was a quiet Monday night in January I'd hate to think what it's like at a weekend, noise went on til past midnight then started again about 6am when the staff start preparing for breakfast, the double fire door to all the rooms in the old part is also right outside the door to 101 and as can be expected in a 13th century building everything creaks and groans and you WILL hear every person who goes through that door, if you're a light sleeper I'd go for a room in the more modern rear annexe, we pointed this out on check out and were told "oh it's because the room is above the bar" that's OK then we'll pay the highest room rate in the hotel for NO sleep ??. Breakfast served in the bar was slightly odd, we had to go looking for staff who went from no-one to 4 like a scene from Mr Ben, the breakfast served was lovely in presentation but was let down by the strongest garlicky/herby sausages I have ever had, we both only ate one mouthful of them and suffered all day as a result, I wouldn't like to be heading to a business meeting after eating one of those, and unlike previous reviewers we had to go hunting for our toast 10 mins AFTER breakfast it still hadn't appeared. Overall a lovely hotel and I would go back but would not pay a premium for the old part of the house I'd take the modern insulated rooms away from the noise, and I'd ask them to leave the sausage off my breakfast !

Room Tip: Take those in the old part of the hotel at your peril, lovely but noisy