“Exceptional”

The White Swan Hotel
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I have just spent a lovely weekend at the White Swan. We had a Grand Room with massive bed, sparkling bathroom and loads of space. Although we didn't dine in the evening the breakfasts and lunch were really good. All dishes freshly cooked with care. The waiting and bar team were hard working, good fun and very attentive. Highly recommend. Would love to stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We had a lovely room with a King Size bed with a lovely spacious bathroom. The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the hotel. Matthew on Reception was extremely helpful :)

Would deffinantly recommend at stay here.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Can not rate this hotel enough, staff were all Absolutely superb friendly helpful... The hotel is beautiful, Rooms were delightful. Food was exquisite, Walking distance to everywhere... We can not wait to return for another visit!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed for one night in early January. As it was the quiet season we got a room for a very reasonable price. Could not fault the hotel as it was lovely. We had a beautiful room and good breakfast included. The location is central. Bar downstairs very nice - old fashioned and cosy. The only negative thing is it is a bit annoying having to pay for parking - which was about 5 min walk away. However I understand that parking is an issue in Stratford upon Avon so unavoidable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Booked a short break as a birthday present for my wife - thought I would make it a bit more special by reserving a "Grand" room.
Initial impression on arrival very good - magnificent reception area and an efficient check in.
initial impression of of our Grand room was that it was spacious enough, comfortably furnished - including a super king sized bed & flat screen TV but a bit on the dark side. Good large well appointed bathroom with walk in shower as well as a roll top bath, decent quality towels & toiletries.
Fantastic powerful shower!
Liked the hospitality tray with the usual teas, coffee & biscuits etc. - bit inconveniently located since no socket outlet near the kettle. Nice touch with small bottle of fresh milk in the fridge instead of the usual silly little pods of 'pretend' milk!
Wardrobe space limited but OK for a 2 or 3 night stay. Plenty of drawer space which compensates to some degree.
Biggest gripe about the room is the fact that there is not a dressing table with mirror over to facilitate the very necessary requirements of hair drying/styling and make up application. My wife found this to be very disagreeable. Astoundingly, on complaining and after viewing alternative "Grand" rooms, it was confirmed that all rooms were fitted out in exactly the same way - we'll done the interior design team! On this point, another lady guest on overhearing the conversation with reception commented that she had overcome the problem by plugging the hair dryer into a socket in the bedroom and stretching the dryer cord into the bathroom - WOW! - do you really want a 240 volt hand held appliance in a wet area?
Restaurant was OK. Food quality and presentation was good. Slight downside was the very limited variation in choice on the Table D'hôte from night one to night two. Breakfast was fine - good choice & nicely served - would comment that the speed of service from plating in the kitchen to presentation to the guest could probably be improved to ensure hotter food delivery.
Now for the fun! I succeeded in putting the entire bar staff into a tailspin by asking for a Scotch & Dry Ginger! No chance! I was offered every malt whiskey under the sun along with bourbon & Irish whiskey. No 'standard' Scotch whiskey is stocked. Manager tried to compensate by providing alternative complimentary drinks plus a promise of an upgrade to a Feature room when he learnt of our earlier complaint regarding no dressing table in our Grand room.
Never happened - receptionist said next day couldn't be done as all feature rooms were "out of commission".
Checkout was interesting - only took about 45 minutes due to the number of guests complaining of various things - mainly regarding overcharging of bar & restaurant bills - ours included. We booked on dinner, bed & breakfast basis but found that dinner had been additionally added to the final bill.
Not a bad hotel but not so good given the apparent poor attention to detail.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil187059
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

My husband treated me to lunch , as I enjoyed a previous stay at the hotel . and have eaten Sunday lunch on a couple of occasions and love the food here. The staff are friendly and professional on every visit. My husband chose the set menu three courses for £20. Small choice menu and items that would not be to everyone's taste. I did not like the sound of any item, I chose the fish and chips off the normal lunch menu. I will be honest it was not the best, the fish had way to much batter and it was served on a wooden chopping board, which had a crack through it, and all the oil was seeping through leaving quite a pool under the board when it was removed.(I had to use a hand wipe of my own to wipe the table as my next cutlery was just placed down on top of the pool of grease. The fries tasted more over cooked than triple fried as the menu says. My husband loved his meal, he said the mussels were the best he had ever had. And he praised the next two courses highly. I did have the chocolate cake, but it was just to dry.the ice cream was superb though. Although I was a little dissatisfied with my food this visit, we both love coming here, the staff are great and a credit to the hotel especially the lovely french waitress and the Italian gentleman who served us Today.thank you.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We regularly stay in Stratford and decided to try a different hotel and this one looked very nice on the website so we booked the best suite only to find when we got there we had been allocated a normal double. It was nice especially the bathroom but not what we had paid for. No breakfast menu in the room so we requested one which did not turn up. The staff in the bar/restaurant were something else though, the bar maid spoke little English, didn't know what lager was and was incapable of pouring a pint. The other staff were highly stressed dashing around, they even whipped my drink away before I had finished it! And there was no response when I quickly said I haven't finished that. The atmosphere was awful, i came away feeling stressed and annoyed. We were offered 20% off our next stay! but we wouldn't go back if it was free. There are far better places to stay where you can relax and enjoy what the lovely Stratford has to offer. Consider yourselves warned. Manic mayhem.

Room Tip: You probably won't get what you see on the website, even if you pay for the best.