We were visiting Stratford for an RSC performance. The White Swan offered an excellent location (five minutes brisk walk to the theatre) and a "room and meal" deal offering a discount on the a la carte menu in their restaurant. They serve from 5pm, giving plenty of time for a leisurely meal before the performance. The staff were universally friendly and helpful. We chose a "classic" room and were pleasantly surprised to find it adequately-sized, well-appointed and interestingly decorated. Nice touches like the provision of a small bottle of proper milk in the fridge for the tea/coffee were very welcome.
The meal was not only extremely good value but was very nicely served and cooked to perfection. Someone here really knows how to cook! The menu was interesting and varied and we could easily have come back again for two or three more nights. Don't miss the superb bits of history in the form of an ancient mural on the restaurant wall and a recently discovered old book in French displayed under glass in the same place.
Although there is no on-site parking the hotel offers use of a local car park less than 2 mins walk away for just £8 overnight (3pm - 11am). Spaces are small for "big" cars!
We certainly hope to go back later in the year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our hotel offers luxury accommodation in Stratford-upon-Avon, while crucially maintaining the charm, character and period features of the original building.The White Swan dates back to 1450, making it one of the oldest pubs in Stratford – and the front of the hotel is a cosy, traditional pub, continuing to serve outstanding cask ales and the best pub food in town.Our 41 four star guestrooms, marry traditional, original features with modern conveniences like iPod docks, flatscreen TVs and ensuite bathrooms.One thing not to miss on your visit to this historic Straford-upon-Avon pub is the antique wall painting in one of our front rooms. Commissioned by William Perrott, who owned the building in 1560, the special painting depicts the story of Tobias and the Angel - a subject doubly appropriate for a tavern of that time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The White Swan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The White Swan Hotel Stratford-Upon-Avon
- White Swan Stratford Upon Avon