“Return after 23 years”

The White Swan Hotel
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My husband and I have just returned to the white swan after a visit 23 years ago to celebrate my then 30 th birthday, so this time also to celebrate my birthday, as last time we thourghly enjoyed our visit and is a special place for both of us, we arrived to check in and were greeted by a very friendly young man who gave us all necessary information, our room although didn't have a view was very impressive with a beautiful mural on the headboard and a gorgeous bathroom with a huge roll top bath I couldn't wait to get in and a lovely stand in shower with overhead rain shower an seperate power shower. Nice touches included were complimentary orange juice and water and a good choice of hot drinks. Bed was huge and comfy also. Breakfast was delicious although slow but we were not in a hurry so not a problem for us just very relaxing .

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jim_Hughes_GM, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2014

Dear elladavis

What a wonderful review! Thank you for the amazing feedback!

It’s really nice to hear that The White Swan Hotel is a special place for you and your partner and I’m thrilled that, after 23 years, you enjoyed your stay with us again and everything was great from start to finish.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The White Swan Hotel again very soon!

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Disappointing stay.Yes the building/rooms are lovely but that is all I can say on the positive side. Arrived at 11 to obtain a parking ticket (£11) for 24 hours which we were aware of and happy to pay, the Receptionist was very abrupt and welcomed me by telling me the importance of leaving on time and don't expect your room early - came across as unwelcoming and a bit rude. (Note 99.9% of receptionists, waiters, shop assistants in this hotel and in Stratford are Eastern European and the accents can be quite hard to understand at times) this particular Receptionist had a very strong accent and I struggled to understand what she was saying to me. We arrived back at the hotel approx 5.00pm to check in, different Receptionist better but not great (you will not get any welcome or advice from the staff it is very much hello and here is your key). Our room was on the 2nd floor nice room but very small enough room to walk around the bed, on looking out the window we were faced with generators, pipes, walls and the back of the kitchens so shame about the view). We went out and finally went to bed approx 11.00pm to realise that Oddfellows the pub is directly across the road at the back (we asked for a quiet room) this pub attracts the local yobs (we walked passed it earlier and there were crowds of young men spilling into the street, very noisy, bad language etc.) did not bother me as it was a Friday night but I did not realise we would have to listen to it till early hours of the morning as it is so close to the back of the hotel. Finally went to sleep about 2.00am. Bed very comfy and nice bathroom (tip there is a fridge in the room ours had been pushed back under the desk so we did not know it was there until we left, it has milk and water in it). Breakfast is served from 8.00am, warning you get 1 tea bag between 2 people so tea is awful. We were served with Tea and Toast first then there is a small buffet with cereal, juice, plate of cheese/ham and a very tired looking fruit salad, a small selection on pastries (very small buffet for what you are paying to stay). You then order from the main menu which is full english, omelette, eggs benedict, eggs royal or porridge. I was told on check in that a veg full breakfast would be available for me - not the case, no veg options I had to have omelette with mushrooms which was fine but again for what you are paying you would expect better. Our waiter forgot about us so after a 20 min wait I had to complain (the restaurant was not busy so no excuses) waiter did apologise and then took our order. No extras are offered or on show e:g sauces you have to ask for them. Overall service very slow and of a poor standard. Check out was fine no issues different receptionist. In summary we paid £142.00 to stay here for a Classic Room (quiet with veg breakfast) for that I would expect my breakfast a bit of peace and good customer service we had none of that. Would I stay again - no I wouldn't as the place does not warrant the high price. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and sadly this is one of the top one's for the poorest value. It could be so much more the inside of the building is beautiful but if you are looking for value for money, customer care and a warm friendly stay this is not the place for you. (Hotel is 2 mins walk away from Shakespeares Birthplace we had a buy one get one free ticket so all 5 houses for £23.00 if you search on the net you will always find one - we also went to Warwick Castle again a free ticket off a cereal pack)

Room Tip: Central location so difficult to avoid noise, Cinema and World Buffet next door, Oddfellows pub to t...
2  Thank JoanneLeicester
Jim_Hughes_GM, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2014

Dear JoanneLeicester

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to review our hotel.

I am pleased to hear that your bed was very comfy, the bathroom was nice and you find the building beautiful.

It does disappoint me however that you found the service under par to our usual high standards.

Please feel free to contact myself directly to discuss these concerns further.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped for a long weekend as a couple. Had a room on the third floor, great space, finished to a high standard, firm comfortable mattress, good sleep! Bath room was also finished to a high standard apart from a bit of dust on tile ledge and slightly dropped shelves, where heavy items have caused it droop, making items slip off, but this is nitt picking. The freestanding roll top bath was great! The real credit to this place is the staff and food, all staff were excellent, food again a high standard, breakfast was good with better than average options like eggs Benedict/royale.
Would return for sure. Recommended if you want a more quality hotel stop in Stratford.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear zxcvbnm123456789

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and leave us with such brilliant feedback!

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to all the staff!

Thank you once again for taking the time to write such wonderful words about The White Swan Hotel.

I and all the staff look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 29 August 2014

This is a beautiful old hotel, with may period features. Oak beams, 15th century tapestries and a real sense of history about it. I stayed in a character room (Twelfth Night), which was in the older part of the hotel and it was a real treat. The beds are very comfortable and unlike some other reviewers, I found the pillows especially comfortable and slept very well. Gorgeous bathroom with rolltop bath and double shower.

The food is very good - an excellent cooked breakfast and a very reasonably priced and delicious prix fixe for a pre-theatre dinner. The service is attentive and friendly. it's perfectly situated for a short walk to the theatre and to most of the Shakespeare sites. I would definitely stay here again.

Two small downsides - although the room was beautifully furnished, bizarrely there was no drawer or shelf storage for clothes other than a narrow single wardrobe largely take up by the bulky bathrobes, so I had to live out of my suitcase. And they are rather stingy on the toiletries - one tiny round of soap to cover basin, bath and shower and shampoo but no conditioner, which was a bit annoying.

Travelling solo. 2 nights. August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Jackie L

Thank you very much for the wonderful feedback.

I’m very pleased to hear that even with the small downsides you mentioned you enjoyed your time with us at The White Swan Hotel.

I will be sure to pass on your fantastic comments about the food to our chef & his team.

Thank you once again for taking the time to leave your wonderful feedback!

We look forward to welcoming you again to The White Swan Hotel in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Arriving later than expected at The White Swan we gave our room, 111, a cursory glance before heading out for what turned out to be a delicious meal at the RSC Rooftop Restaurant and an incredible production of The Roaring Girl at The Swan Theatre.

On returning to the room we realised that one of the windows overlooked Reception, giving an impressive view of the painting above the desk and the rather beautiful chandelier. On turning out the bedroom lights, my partner realised that this was more of a cursed view than a beautiful one - the bedroom, in her view, was 'lit up like Blackpool illuminations'. And, yes, we had the blind and the curtains fully closed. We also discovered that the bed clanked every time I moved. Needless to say we did not have sweet dreams; my partner finally fell asleep about 4am, I know this as she kept waking me up to complain about the light.

The following day was a busy one as we had tickets for Henry IV parts 1 and 2. My partner decided she'd rather risk another sleepless night as she had fallen in love with the bathroom; she was also worried that another room might have similar problems.

That night in bed we switched sides. The bed clanked less, presumably as my partner is much lighter than me. Before going to bed we tackled the lighting problem by strategically placing cushions, etc around the gaps between the door and curtains, the chandelier still illuminated the room as I found to my cost, it was my turn to sleep next to the window.

Moving off the subject of the lighting, we have to say that the hotel was lovely with friendly helpful staff. Breakfast is good and the hotel is in a great location.

We would love to stay again - it is certainly one of the nicer hotels in Stratford - but would definitely not stay in room 111.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 111 if you need a dark room to sleep well.

Dear Widmerpoole

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am very happy to hear that you found the hotel lovely and the staff friendly and helpful. I’m also glad to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and had a wonderful time visiting Stratford-upon-Avon. However, I am sorry to hear that you had trouble sleeping due to some issues.

Please accept my deepest apologies and thank you once again for taking the time to review The White Swan Hotel.

I and all the staff look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

I don't usually review hotels but I'm writing this on the free wifi, sitting in bed on my second night in Room 205 at The White Swan and feel inspired to rave about it. This is a beautiful hotel, with real attention to detail, and a gorgeous pub and dining room downstairs. My classic room for just over £100 per night is comfy and beautifully designed, with furniture I'd like to take home with me, and a luxurious bathroom with a rain shower over a generous tub bath. There's a mini fridge empty to use for your own things, complimentary mineral water, restocked both days, flat screen tv and hub to connect a laptop to the tv via as well. Breakfast was delicious and the service was exemplary and although I didn't eat other meals the restaurant menu looked varied (if a touch pricey) and the bar is great for a drink. All the staff are friendly and helpful but best of all is the amazing Karolina on Reception, who could not have been more welcoming, professional and kind. This visit was to see a friend who lives in Stratford and I will definitely stay here again on future visits.
There are a couple of tiny points I'd advise the hotel to look at:
1. The pillows are VERY soft and not at all supportive for sleeping. I asked for firmer ones but they didn't have any, but gave me another pair of soft ones, which doesn't really help.
2. No margarine or low fat alternative to butter at breakfast. I'm waiting for gallbladder surgery and can't have butter so that was a little strange as it would be something I'd expect from any hotel.
3. There's no obvious switch for the heated towel rail in the bathroom (housekeeping switched it on at my request though) also the toilet roll holder was annoyingly positioned and the roll kept falling off!
Otherwise it's practically perfect!!! :-)

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Jo B

Thank you for the wonderful review!

I am very pleased you made full use of the free WIFI we offer and I am very thankful for the wonderful feedback. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

I am certain Karolina will be very happy with her wonderful mention.

Thank you once again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The White Swan Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed overnight for a wedding in Stratford. Given the hotel had been advised multiple bookings were taken for the wedding guests, we were surprised to be shown to the disabled toilets to change into tails, wedding gown etc, since the room was not ready.

Admittedly, it was 1pm and check in was billed as 3pm, but given the large number of guests staying, surely room service should have been stepped up to make rooms available. This has certainly been our experience at other premier hotels.

Room ok but overpriced at a "special rate" of £185 a night, and overpriced bar ... £4 a bottle of water.

The breakfast was very good, but we would not return in the future.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jim_Hughes_GM, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2014

Dear Dr Martyn C

Thank you for taking the time to review The White Swan Hotel.

I am disappointed to hear that you do not wish to return to stay with us based on your personal experience. However, we would be happy to welcome you back to The White Swan Hotel in the future.

Thank you once again for your feedback