“Quaint little guesthouse with excellent service”

Twelfth Night Guest House
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I was in Stratford-upon-Avon for 5 nights in July 2012 for the World Shakespeare Festival. The first 3 nights I stayed in hotels; the last 2 nights at Twelfth Night Guesthouse. I wish I'd stayed here the whole time! Annie is so friendly and does everything possible to make your stay pleasant; James helped with my heavy bag/luggage up many flights of stairs. I got there early during breakfast the first day to drop off my luggage and she was polite and offered advice. She even will offer you free tickets to the 5 Shakespeare houses if you don't already have them (I did). I'm a picky vegetarian who doesn't eat eggs and she accommodated my dietary needs with concern and attention for breakfast on both mornings I was there. It was nice to be able to talk with the other guests during breakfast and get to know them. My double ensuite room on the top floor had an excellent view out the ceiling window and the bed was comfortable, the room cozy. Yes the shower room/bathroom was extremely small, but it served it's purpose. The sink is located in the bedroom rather than the bathroom. The only issue I had at all with the room and it was minor, was that I kept bumping my head on the slanted ceilings (so maybe top floor not the best for tall people?). The house is not far at all from the RSC theater and a pleasant walk from the main downtown streets and the river. I was also able to walk from here to the Stratford Greenway, where I rented a bike for the day. The front garden is beautiful and you can tell Annie puts a lot of effort and attention into keeping it looking nice. She and her husband were celebrating their anniversary while I was there and even then it did not detract from her level of service to the guests. Her daughters are also very polite and help when needed. She put fresh chocolates and bottled water in the room each day which was a nice touch and appreciated. The free WiFi worked well even on the top floor. The room rate was more than I paid at the MacDonald Alveston hotel near the RSC (which didn't include breakfast or WiFi), but less than I paid (much less) than at the White Swan hotel. Overall, a great little place to stay that feels like home.

One minor detail/negative, but just in my opinion: the second morning I was there, a cat was wandering around the breakfast room while we ate; I'm deathly allergic to cats and would recommend it be kept to the private living areas, and especially kept out of the guest rooms if not done so already. I didn't have any allergy problems while I was there though. Also, I'd recommend regular pillows over the feather ones, I had to use 3 pillows just to add up to the height of one regular pillow, but thankfully they'd put extra pillows in the closet.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have low/slanted ceilings and might be challenging for very tall people, but in turn...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 July 2012

We needed a quiet, stress-free break over a long July weekend and that is exactly what we had. Starting with Annie's welcome, the spotless room overlooking their beautiful rear courtyard and the varied, interesting and tasty breakfasts, our three-night stay was very enjoyable.

Twelfth Night is a five-minute walk from the centre of Stratford; an extra three minutes takes you to the RSC theatre. My partner is a true luvvie and getting her out each day was hard, as books, dvds, theatre programmes and many other Shakespeare-related publications populated our room.

An unexpected bonus was the two passes that Annie lent to us, giving free admission to the main Shakespeare-related attractions. Anne Hathaway's Cottage is a mile outside town but an excellent footpath goes from Twelfth Night straight there, past playing fields and allotments.

If you want to enjoy Stratford then I can highly recomment doing so using Tweifth Night as your base but remember to book ahead, as every room was taken throughout our visit.

Room Tip: Rear rooms for that view over their tranquil courtyard.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Guest house was clean, bright and cheerful, and the welcome was wonderful. We were greeted on arrival with tea, coffee and biscuits. Annie was very helpful and even offered us bottles of water for our trup home. There were also bottles on water in the rooms along with tea making facilities and small bowls of sweets. Its the best guest house we have stayed in in stratford and would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Our stay at Twelth Night was a lovely experience. Annie was incredibly warm and friendly and went out of her way to make us feel at home. The guest house iitself was immaculate. Our room was quiet, wonderfully comfortable and beautifully presented. Breakfast included a wide range of choices all of which were fresh and appetising.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

We can strongly recommend this very very nice guest house whenever you stay in Stratford. Annie Smith was certainly the nicest person we met in all three weeks we travelled around in England and we met a lot of nice people! The rooms were very nice, clean and wonderfully decorated, breakfast excellent - all in all a very positive experience!
Ulla-Carin & Lars-Göran Johansson
Sweden

Room Tip: Room no one (1)
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My husband and I have just spent a two-night break at Twelfth Night and loved it. My breakfast of warm fresh croissant, smoked salmon and scrambled egg was tasty and perfectly cooked, everywhere was spotless, I slept soundly on a very comfy bed and our hosts were friendly, caring and kind. We can't wait to stay there again!

Room Tip: Our pretty front bedroom was not noisy. Off-street parking is 2 minutes walk away.
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Having just spent a delightful Weekend in Stratford Upon Avon we felt we must write a review for future visitors and to thank Annie for what was a fantasic break Breakfast great, room immaculate and hospitality second to none! We would definately book again and will reccommend to our theatre group back home!

Room Tip: All rooms ensuite and all very tastefully decorated - tea/coffee making facilities t.v books and swe...