“"A pleasant Stay in a Lovely Hotel"”
Review of Courtland Hotel

Courtland Hotel
Courtland Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“"A pleasant Stay in a Lovely Hotel"”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I initially stayed at the end of June for a weekend. As it was that good, I went back again in July for an overnight stay. It is minutes away from the train and coach station, Shakespeare's Birth Place Trust houses, RSC Theatre, restaurants and the river Avon. On both occasions I was received by the friendly landlady.The en-suite rooms are clean, comfortable and are attractive. They all have Wi-fi. tea/coffee, biscuits, toiletries. There is a choice of a continental or cooked breakfast. I tend to choose the cooked option with veggie sausage. It is filling and sets me up for a morning of walking around Stratford and the surrounding area. I have recommended it to friends and family and I will certainly be staying here again and again. So, ignore the bad reviews about the hotel. People tend to complain about the slightest things, including me, but I have none in both instances.
AB

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
HK
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This B & B is in the centre of town, with easy parking & if you're staying in the area after you check out, it's only £3 for another full day - buy a pass from the landlady (Diana?)
Check-in was fast & efficient and I have no idea why some people resent being asked to pay on arrival- it's not as if you're going to have a room service or mini-bar bill. Many B & Bs ask you to do this, as they're busy with breakfast in the mornings when people are also leaving - it's not as if they have a receptionist to take care of your payment. It also means people can't sneak off early without paying - yes, it happens!
Our group had two rooms & both were exactly what we'd expect for the price. One (room 4) had what I assume is the "folding screen" referred to by other reviewers- actually a space- saving concertina type door, but the modern & well equipped bathroom was certainly a separate room. So the door was plastic, old and worn, but it didn't stop me sleeping! And the furniture in one room was like something from my gran's house- so what? We only needed a clean, comfy bed & we got that!
Flat screen TVs, tea & coffee & biscuits, lots of toiletries, big bath & great shower (not that common in the UK!) - what more do people want in a small B & B? Breakfast was fine, we were given a menu for each day the night before & asked to tick the boxes so we would get what we wanted with no waste. We liked being asked what time we wanted to eat, as this means - hopefully- not everyone comes at once. Too often I've stayed in small places where you have to wait for food because all the guests show up for breakfast at once.
My parents' room faced the street & was quite noisy for them, but they live in a very quiet area so they're not used to traffic noise.
Our hosts were friendly and helpful, both on the phone for booking & when we were there. If you want 5 star soulless service and fancy decor, go elsewhere & pay for it.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at the side.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank HkPinky
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We booked to see a play at the theatre and so chose this guest house as it is so nearby to everything.shakespeares house is two mins away and the theatre n best restaurants only five mins.our room is small but beautifully done and perfect for a weekend stay.on arrival the landlord was extremely kind and gave us maps and recommendations.despite being near to the road we didnt hear any traffic and its v quiet. I brought my partner here for his birthday and its been a lovely weekend treat.highly recommend you stay here.

• Stayed July 2012
Heswall
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Position and parking facility outweighed such disadvantages as uncertainty of booking arrangements, ensuite being behind a folding screen in at least 2 bedrooms and landlady who demanded full payment on arrival. Rooms clean and comfortably furnished and the drinkmaking equipment and toiletry extras appreciated. Dining room welcoming with separate tables, linen table cloths and napkins. Breakfasts good and cooked to order.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on main street if you are worried by traffic noise. The small bedroom is really small w...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Margaretwirral702
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My wife and i stayed here for one night saturday 11th feb.We recieved a warm welcome when we arrived and enjoyed our stay here.We found the hotel is in an ideal central location for visiting the historic sitesand pubs and restaurants .We will be returning in the summer hopefully when the weather is warmer. Tony and Jan.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Cobourg, Canada
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I agree with the previous reviewer in that the innkeeper's customer relations skills are not very good, although she warms up after a bit of conversation. I stayed here one night with a friend as we were attending plays in the town. Our room was pleasantly furnished and had a private bathroom although, as often happens, this was a bit of a walk. The major downside is that it faces on to a busy street with traffic through the night. Luckily I had earplugs with me. I recommend that anyone planning to stay here ask for a room at the back. The breakfast was ample - the full English - but not cooked with much skill. Not nearly as good as the breakfast I last enjoyed at a B&B here in Canada where we were served cheese souffle and maple bacon with homemade muffins.

Room Tip: Rooms fronting on the street very noisy.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I was communicating with this hotel via email and agreed to book a 1 night stay. When I rang the lady to pay the deposit to secure my booking, she answered the phone in a very abrupt way, was unpleasant to speak to and so I got completely put off...and decided not to pay the deposit and look for a place in Stratford that has staff with customer service skills.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple