“Random Rules - Money Oriented Owners”
Review of Courtland Hotel

Courtland Hotel
Courtland Hotel
Dublin
“Random Rules - Money Oriented Owners”
Reviewed 8 May 2007

Great location, cute room, offer £3 a day parking discs, nice breakfast sounds good so far.....pity bout the inflexibility of the owners.

We called and booked a room, owner called the following night to offer us an upgrade, lovely we thought. When we got there we were charged for the upgrade we had been given....the lady of the property was extremely rude when we questioned this as the dollar signs flicked before her eyes.....and we never did receive our change!

Breakfast is served between 8:30 - 9:30 but you have to choose a 15minute slot? 8:30 was all that was left when we arrived.

We wanted to leave our luggage there on the day we checked out but were told we are going out so you have to check out now (10:30am on a Bank Holiday Monday) so we had to scurry around town with our luggage all day.

There's plenty of friendlier ones around in Stratford - go for one of them!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Owners Attitude
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank dunnersgirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
East Coast
Reviewed 27 April 2007

I stayed here with a group of my friends recently. The owners treated
us very badly, simply because we were teenagers. They accused us of wanting to cheat them, they yelled at us for ringing the doorbell
(we had to since they had failed to give us a key that worked.) They failed to provide breakfast for us, and told our chaperones that only
ONE person could shower in the entire building at a time! They also overcharged our group by 100 pounds, but the local tourist board is helping us to get our money back. Not to mention, the bathrooms were dirty and the shower had black mold!

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the owners!
  • Stayed April 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank AnglophileGirl
Dunstable
Reviewed 17 February 2007

"Oh that's digusting," came the voice of my girlfriend in the shower. When I went in to investigate, the answer to the stain on the duvet cover was staring me in the face. A bloodied plaster lay on the shower's shelf.
I'm not a complainer. I was happy to put up with the filthy cups and teapot (which didn't look like it had been cleaned for a week). I didn't have a big problem with struggling to get into the room because the door handle was falling off (which the owner was well aware of). Even the small stain on the duvet cover didn't bother me greatly, we just pushed it off the bed.
But the used plaster was too much, even for me. And it made me realize that the small stain on the duvet cover was probably blood. And then I noticed what looked like blood on the bathroom door as well.

We complained to the owners and they struggled to grasp that we were complaining, to the extent that Diana had to ask "What are you saying then? Are you complaining?" Too right we were. She even went on to say that they had given us a better room without charging extra. I would hate to see what the other rooms were like!
Shortly after we had left, Diana phoned saying if we wanted to stay two nights, she would charge us for one. Personally I would have preferred some money back, or even free parking (£3 down a side street).

I can appreciate that occasionally things get missed when cleaning a hotel, but finding blood is utterly unacceptable. With so many other places to stay in and around Shakespeare's county, cheaper and with better parking facilities, I'd advise giving this one a miss.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank KennyKen
Reviewed 24 October 2005

Myself and my husband stayed at the Courtland Hotel for 3 nights. Whilst the owners were very pleasant and always willing to offer advice on where to eat and places to visit our room was very shabby, in need of redecorating and a flipping good clean.
The breakfast was average, there was a choice in what you wanted but everytime over the 3 days someone ordered kippers the owner apologised, laughed and said she forgot to buy any.
We were unable to leave our suitcases at the hotel on the last day, even though when I booked it the owner told us there would be no problem, as she wanted to go out at 11am and wouldn't be able to let us in (we had to give our keys back at 10.30am without fail, she even followed us to the car with our suitcases to make sure we weren't leaving without handing them back, we had aleardy paid for the room)
The location of this hotel made it bearable, it was literally across the road from Shakespeare's Birth Place and only a few minutes walk from all the points of interests, bars and resaurants.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody until it has had a major overhaul. The picures on their website bore no resemblance to the hotel at all.

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 October 2005

It's very important to caution travellers that this B&B charges a £20 GBP cancellation no mmater how much in advance you cancel your reservation. In my case, I had resereved, by telephone, a room for one night for October 10, 2005, and called on October 5, 2005 at 12:20pm to cancel it because my travel plan had changed (5 full-day's notice). The lady answered the phone, telling me to call back in the evening because "she wasn't at the B&B", and that my credit card would be charged £20. I was surprised because when I phoned her for reservation, she did not inform me of the charge. She said "well, you found me on the website, so, so are responsible for reading about it; I don't need to inform you."

My point is, when you purchase something online, you at least have a choice of agreeing to the terms & conditions by clicking it. This B&B failed to inform consumer at the time of reservation, and is thus deceitful.

Stayed October 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 March 2005

We stayed at the Courtland Hotel on March 18th. I found the hosts pleasant, but did not particularly care for the room. It was pretty shabby (paint peeling, the door looked like it had been kicked, stains in the shower). In addition, our room was located at the front of the hotel and as this was a Friday night, the bar across the street played music loudly and late into the evening. I had to use earplugs to get to sleep. Plus, there was a lot of light coming in from what must have been a neon sign right outside the window. The breakfast was good and the food choices were plentiful. That was a plus.

• Stayed March 2005
2 Thank luvs2run27
Reviewed 16 June 2004

The Courtland Hotel is a delightful place to stay. John and Diana welcome guests to their lovely Georgian home and provide an excellent breakfast complete with porridge and kippers (to order).
Their attention to detail is impressive - lovely linen, table settings and interesting antiques.
A place to revisit.