“Busier but still worth it”

Shakespeare's Birthplace
Oxford, Stratford and the Cotswold Villages Day Trip from London
US$124.50*
Oxford, Warwick Castle and Stratford-upon-Avon Day Trip from London
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit Shakespeare’s Birthplace to walk in Shakespeare’s footsteps and explore the house where he was born and grew up. Hear tales of Shakespeare’s family life, enjoy live theatre on demand and get up close to rare artefacts from the Trust’s world class collections as you discover how the extraordinary William Shakespeare continues to shape our lives today.
Tutbury, United Kingdom
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Busier but still worth it”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I visited with friends earlier in the year, and while my cousins where visiting from France, I took the opportunity to use the fee return visit to show them some culture!!

It was busier than my previous visit and this meant you didn't have the space or time to take it all in but def worth a visit. Missing the chap in the glove workshop this time too!!

Worthwhile but recommend when it's quieter (not July or August).

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Cobble Hill, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Nice to visit Shakespeare's birthplace trust...”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Which is a keystone to modern western culture. We visited Shakespeare's birthplace/home, Anne Hathaway's cottage, Hall's croft, which was made terrific by their historian's work as staff members. It was a great and rare privilege to be able to see buildings where Shakespeare's family once lived. Our only disappointment is missing the Mary Arden Farm.

We went to one place we can't remember as they basically had no staff (the Nash's House/New Place) which was a disappointment. They said he was meant to have died there. We saw the house but missed having educational guidance by the staff. Apparently, they usually teach about the archeological dig, about which it would have been nice to hear.

It was a very beautiful step back into history entering that place. We saw the church, but we're not sure how Jesus would have felt about having a gift shop and charging 2 lbs to see a person's burial place. That aside, it has a terrific cemetery outside and is a very quaint and ancient church.

Also, they really need directions from the station, as being dumped there without any directions was a bother for a place that must host millions of tourists each year. They really need to get that aspect of their tourist town together. A shuttle us would be nice, or at the least, a map showing how to get to the nearest tourist place from the station. A kindly couple helped us out as must have looked completely lost on our way walking towards civilization.

For those of you trying to figure it out, go left from the station up the walkway and keep walking on what seems to be the main road into the town. Someone there can guide you to the birthplace. This aside, we loved the guided tours...

Melbourne, Australia
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Was in la la land straightaway!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This was an absolute dream, to walk through the place where Shakespeare grew up. As a fan of his work, I was in absolute awe as soon as I saw the fool statue in Stratford, let alone the actual house itself! I went on a Saturday, so I was ready to brave the crowds and my elbows were reporting for duty. However surprisingly, it was not as busy as I anticipated! I was able to move effortlessly through the rooms of the house, and lingered to read important documents and other provided information without having to fart (so that people would stop pushing into me). Just to be in the same rooms as Shakespeare walked was amazing. It is so well preserved, and there was a lovely lassie in there telling us stories of Shakespeare's life, such as his father's work and shop, and Shakespeare's birth. The town itself is charming, so clean and welcoming... it was everything I hoped for and more.

Visited June 2014
SBT_Marketing, Marketing Officer at Shakespeare's Birthplace, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave such a lovely review of your visit to Stratford-upon-Avon.

I'm so pleased to hear that your trip lived up to your expectations and that you enjoyed visiting the Birthplace so much. I hope you'll have the chance to come and see us again soon!
“Lovely mid week break”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We loved everything from the accompanied tour of the house giving insight into Shakespearean life to the walk around the garden. The Shakespearean actors were great, acting out specific acts from any of Shakespeare's plays on visitors requests and the way they encouraged audience

UK
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Exit via the gift shop !”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I know it is a tourist trap, I know I will have to kick my way through crowds of Chinese tour groups, but do not let that put you off going.

Outside it is very crowded. Inside the crowds start to drop off. The guides are very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly and there are some interesting insights into the life of Mr S. The garden is very pleasant and staff perform excerpts from plays in the garden. (What is it about Stratford ? Everyone is just so nice despite dealing with some obnoxiously mannered tourists)

Price wise it is better to buy a 3 or 5 house pass and do all the houses than buy individual entrances but you would probably need more than one day to do them justice. Don't worry if you can't fit them in the passes are valid for 12 months.Stratford is very walkable and the locals don't seem to mind suicidal tourists wandering into the roads.

The gift shop has something for everyone's pocket and, if you are really desperate, you can even buy copies of the bard's works (In different languages. Go figure that one out).

My only criticism, and it is a minor one, is that crowd management should be employed in the entrance AV presentation as people tend to sit on the floor and block the thoroughfare. Don't be put off by the crowds. It is interesting, they are lovely people and would be pleased to see you.