“The "Shakey" Express”

The Shakespeare Express
More attraction details
Owner description: England's fastest regular steam train, runs between Birmingham and Stratford-upon-Avon via the scenic North Warwickshire line.
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Fantastic day out for me best friends birthday treat. We like to make an annual run out the mainline with steam trains each year, but due to other commitments we weren't able to do a long distance on this year so decided to try the Shakespeare Express.

Well! Fine food in in 50's coaches pulled by a magnificent ex Great Western steam locomotive racing along the mainline next to the more modern trains. Its great to see the faces of the unsuspecting commuters as out train runs through the stations while they are waiting for their boring commuter services. Everything surpassed my expectations! I'm very fussy about how I have roast beef cooked for me but this was one of the best roast lunches I have ever had. So much so, I am going again this year for my Grandad's 80th Birthday treat!

3  Thank George H
in 8 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

It was my son's birthday and he has always been a fan of steam trains so for a treat we took the family out for the day on the Shakespeare Express. The trip was excellent with the staff on the train were knowledgable and happy to answer questions. The only drawback was the seats are not suited for people over six foot four. The head rest came to just below my shoulders!
Great value for money for a family day out.

4  Thank Mcoo1972
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My partner and I travelled from Birmingham to Stratford and back on a marvellous steam train - I had completely forgotten the feel of its rythm. We had chosen breakfast for the outward journey and high tea return. The staff could not have been more attentive and efficient, and the quality of the food was outstanding - plentiful and freshly cooked on the train. We certainly did not need extra in Stratford and would highly recommend this as a special day out.

2  Thank janeartist
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I booked steam train ride from Stratford to Birmingham and back for my fiance who really enjoyed vintage trains, cars, buses.... It cost me £55 per person to go premiere with sunday lunch. Premiere class itself it's nothing special. Food was ok but the portions were really, really small. If you are planning to go I would recommend to just go standard class without dining. Seriously overpriced for what it was.

2  Thank sabinna15
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 December 2012

To celebrate my fathers 70th birthday the family of 10 took the midday train from Stratford-Upon-Avon to Birmingham Snow Hill and return, taking Sunday lunch on the way in premier dining. All staff, which we understood many were volunteers, were most helpful and could not fault the attention and service we received. Lunch was not rushed and was to a high standard.
I would recommend this experience not just for taking lunch on a train but the additional atmosphere of being hauled by a steam engine that whisks you along beautiful countryside at speeds you will not find on heritage railways. According to train announcer we reached 75mph, a sight to behold and one my father was keen to recall. As a note Vintage Trains also provide travel without lunch starting from just £12.50 return from Stratford and £20 from Birmingham return,
I will be doing this again next year.

2  Thank Andrew J