Arden Park Guest House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Stratford, A QHotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
  • Restaurant
The White Swan Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
Stratheden Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
Thistle(Stratford-upon-Avon)
  • Restaurant
All reviewscontinental breakfastbasement roomb bself cateringone nightwashing machinewithin walking distancetrain stationboiled eggstown centreshakespeare's birthplacecar parkdouble bedavon rivertop floorfamily roomclose proximity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Arden Park Guest house in May. My friend a had I had separate rooms, both very clean and comfortable. This was a short walk from the train and to all tourist sites. Mark was helpful in recommending a place for dinner. Breakfast was plentiful and did not feel rushed to move on in the morning. We also did appreciate the Wi-Fi connection. I would absolutely stay here again and again.

Room Tip: look for a garden room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The owners were great hosts, very welcoming and accommodating. The place was clean and nice, Breakfast was good. Free parking, Great location if you are arriving by train, just a short walk. Very close to all tourist sites and the owner is ready to give you helpful tips on how to get around town. We found a nice pub dating back to the 1500's we enjoyed two nights after dinner. Its just a couple blocks away.

Oh yea and if you need to use the internet there is a computer in the entrance area for guest to use. We would stay there again without hesitation.

Scott from Houston Texas

Room Tip: If you have a Rick Steves guide book you will receive a discount.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Arden Park Guest House. The owner was very friendly and was even able to find us a laundromat around the corner that did a weeks worth of laundry for six of us while we were out sightseeing. The rates were VERY reasonable and the rooms were super clean - everything was fresh and neat and the beds were comfy Would definitely stay there again - it was only a short walk to all the "Shakespeare stuff" and there were lots of restaurants nearby.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our stay at Arden Park B and B, was very enjoyable. Close proximity to Stratford station and the township made the location very easy for access when we did not have a car. The room was most comfortable in every way and the friendliness and service that Mark showed us was most appreciated .I would highly recommend this bed and breakfast for a stay in Stratford upon Avon.

Room Tip: Double glazing on the front windows means that even these rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Having read the positive reviews I was expecting a great stay.
I’d checked out the price of a one night stay for two rooms on a last minute online booking system. I rang the hotel and the manager said I should book direct with him rather than book through the intermediary. He asked what price I had been given online and said he would charge the same and asked if we had a car and the parking would be an additional £30 for 24 hours. Not knowing how much parking would be in Stratford I accepted that. I received an email confirming my booking and the total due for the two rooms had a price for each room which had now increased by a total of £30 indicating a higher price for the rooms and parking was not shown as a separate item.
We arrived and I rang the doorbell. The greeting wasn’t particularly friendly and I started to follow the manager into the hotel, and he said ‘stay there’. Not much of a welcoming greeting. I’m sure something like, ‘if you’d like to wait I’ll get the parking voucher for you’ would have been better. He didn’t introduce himself, from the other reviews I guess his name was Mark. We were advised that breakfast was between 08:30 and 09:30, well in fact he said no later than 09:15 as he finished at 09:30. He asked exactly when we’d be turning up for breakfast the following morning which did take me back a little, and I felt like I was imposing on him. The manager asked how many croissants we’d be wanting and we had to decide there and then the evening before so we settled on 3 for 4 of us. He also asked if I could pay in cash so I said ok, I’d have to withdraw the cash later.
We were shown to our rooms which were spacious enough and clean, no carpets, which made the room look a bit hard, and there was a little kitchenette type arrangement. I felt like I was going to sleep in the kitchen.. Our rooms were in an extension at the back. The double bed was extremely uncomfortable. It was rock hard. The quilt was very thin. I had a dreadful night’s sleep. The room had adjustable heating so it wasn’t cold but the bed was just not a cosy place to be. The other room we had was the same.
We turned up for breakfast at 8:45, 15 minutes later than we’d stated and I felt nervous about it, based on the firm way the manager had asked when we’d be turning up for breakfast as if a 45 minute window was not a restricted enough timeframe in which to appear. The 3 croissants arrived which were very good. We’d finished our breakfast when the manager then asked if we’d like any toast. It was really bad timing and I felt that the answer should be no otherwise we’d be putting him out. We said no. A water filter would also be good as the tea tasted of chemicals.

We checked out immediately after breakfast and the manager asked if I had the cash for him. When we returned to the car park I checked how much it costs to park there for 24 hours. The cost is actually £10 for 24 hours, and having read other reviews and Mark’s comments in return, there is reference to free parking if booked direct. We weren’t offered the 50% discount card for the attractions either as other reviewers had been, and he didn’t offer any information at all other than give us a map. I felt like the manager had taken a dislike to us as soon as we got there. I had booked this mini-trip as a treat for my sister and her daughter and although we still had a great time in Stratford I’d hoped to give her a better hotel experience than the one we received.

The place itself is actually spotless clean to the point of being sterile. There is no welcoming home from home atmosphere and I didn’t feel we were welcomed at all. I will be returning to Stratford but not to here.

Room Tip: rooms out the back are big but not comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
markkw, Owner at Arden Park Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear FamilyGuy188

Thank you for your review.

It seems that there was a misunderstanding:

Laterooms prices for Arden Park never include breakfast or parking. When a guest rings us after seeing their prices, we will either give a lower price or, as in your case, an upgraded room. However, the optional breakfast at £5 per meal and parking at £5 per 24-hours would still be extra.

So, the £30 charge was for parking and 5 breakfasts. The total for your 2 rooms, including extras, was £160, which is £32 per person per night. If you feel that I misled you, then please email me and I will adjust your bill.

I am sorry that were unhappy with many other aspects of your stay, particularly the impression I gave you at breakfast.

Actually there is a 60-minute window for arriving for breakfast: 08:30-09:30. If a guest has booked breakfast, but has not arrived by 09:30, I will pop to their room to remind them. Also, we are happy for guests to eat and chat until 10:00.

Finally, regarding discount vouchers, at check-in I religiously distribute whichever ones I have for Warwick Castle and the 5 Shakespeare Houses.

I like to save our guests money especially when it costs me nothing, but I cannot distribute vouchers that I do not have.

At the beginning of the year, I had an ample supply of Houses vouchers, but they expired on 31st March. The vouchers, which are printed by The Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, for subsequent months were not issued to guest houses for most, if not all, of April. So, your stay on 16th April meant that you missed out on them.

Best regards