“Maintains a standard”

Price range: US$6 - US$11
Cuisines: International, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: It is a pub too. One of the JD Wetherspoons company growing portfolio of hotels and dining pubs. Only a minute walk from the river and RSC.
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Had an early evening meal here after a very hot day of touristic activity.
Great to have air conditioning, and with plenty of seating and the familiar comprehensive menu, we enjoyed the speedy service, and quality of meals, that we have come to expect from this chain of restaurants.
Well done to The Golden Bee.

1  Thank blisterman
Tammy M, Manager at The Golden Bee, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you reviewer. The air con is fab here :-)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had eaten here previously, but decided to pop in on a busy Sunday afternoon in the Summer, and got seated quickly. The food and drinks are good value, especially the drinks compared with most other pub chains. Your making a saving of nearly a £1 on a pint of cider for example.

Thank very much for taking the time out to review us, it is a very busy time of year for us and I am glad we met your expectations

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The Golden Bee is Stratford's Wetherspoons and we thought we'd call in for a cheap lunch as a family of four. We easily found a table and were served very quick indeed - we have eaten here once before and it was incredibly busy so it's just pot luck really. The food took a little while to come, well too long for a hungry 11 year old, but when it did arrive (maybe 20-25 mins later) it was tasty enough and including a round of drinks was just over £21.00. If you don't mind eating at Wetherspoons then I think it's great value - we have previously eaten at a non chain similar style eaterie in Stratford and was charged nearly £60 over lunch for a similar meal of a similar quality. Would definitely visit again (for lunch).

1  Thank dizzy-wife

I do like your user name :-) but there is nothing dizzy about this review thank you. I agree it can be a little pricey in Stratford especially if you are feeding a family so I am glad you chose us and hopefully we will see you again

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Husband and I went in for a drink saw the Friday special fish, chips & drink and gave it a try, we wasn't expecting too much for the price but we were pleasantly surprised, food was piping hot, cooked to perfection. Great value, same price that we would have paid elsewhere just for a sandwich

Thank you for choosing us and thank you for the review. Our fish and chips are very popular with the locals too.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This review is a consolidation of two visits to this establishment, the first made out of necessity and the second out of choice. The first visit consisted of a drink and a meal on a Sunday evening, the second just a drink a day later. We were lucky on the first visit as we managed to secure table number 1 next to the door with a fine view of some proper restaurants in Sheep Street. Me and the mehm sahib ordered an Amstel and a dry white wine to drink at a cost of £7.90. We then ordered a mixed sharer of deep-fried onion rings, deep-fried chicken wings, deep-fried chicken goujons and deep-fried prawns. And chips. Fortunately table number 1 is adjacent to the premises defibrillator. There was lots of food but between us we managed to square it away without sustaining any casualties. For mains we had chicken skewers and a sirloin steak not cooked to my liking. Both came with chips and heroically we didn't want to offend the chef. It was cheap, I can't remember how much precisely, but it was a cheap date. And the food was ok for the price.
The second visit occurred after spending a frustrating couple of hours in the beachwear retail outlet "Fat Face". Trying to convince the sceptical shop-assistant that I was an experienced kite-surfer and looking to update my beach look was a thirsty business. After buying a few pairs of "36 inch waist" beach and swim shorts I left the store hoping that I would be able to fit into them before the end of the summer. Regardless, I left the store with nearly 200 quids worth of Fat Face products. To go with my fat face.
Arriving in the Golden Bee at 3.30pm on a Monday, was a similar experience to most other pubs in the Wetherspoons chain. It was packed out and had been for hours. A creature of habit I ordered a pint of Amstel and a dry white wine. The barman proceeded to pour me half a pint of cooking chardonnay from the tap. I asked for some of the Villa Maria from the chill cabinet instead and he obliged. The Amstel was top drawer and I'm advised the wine was equally splendid. £7.90 again. There's consistency for you. Me and the mehm sahib then sat at one of the tables in the pub's outdoor space. There was one other couple there when an elderly gentleman appeared and sat at the next table closely followed by the Wetherspoons regular; male, white, 55-60 wearing a wife-beater vest top and nostalgia tattoos from his favourite prisons. The regular couldn't have been more raucous if he had tried, attempting to engage customers in renditions of Nat King Cole songs. The old boy downed his Guinness in quick time and staggered off, leaving all the other outdoor customers at the mercy of the regular. A member of bar staff came out at one point to ask him if he was behaving himself and he reassured him that he was. We eventually finished our drinks and made good our escape. Overall it was an adventure and a typical Wetherspoons experience. At least you know what to expect. It ain't Claridges and that's a fact.

1  Thank dhobi8ag

So very nicely written reviewer. We do indeed attract a diversity of customer but I think we keep most of the regulars on a tight leash most of the time.