“Wonderful, traditional Theatre!”
Review of Swan Theatre

Swan Theatre
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We visited The Swan last night to see King John and rarely have I enjoyed the theatre so much. We were sat in Gallery 1 in seats B22 and B23 and have the most magnificent views. It's true the seats are a little uncomfortable but for the view it's definitely worth it and you have the option to stand and lean against the rail in front of you. Personally I wouldn't have wanted to sit any higher up as I noticed a lot of people leaning and shuffling in their seats and on the ground floor a few people seemed to be struggling to see the entire stage. The production was fabulous but what really made it was the location. The theatre almost takes you a step back in time and is very intimate. The staff were friendly and polite at all times and couldn't have done more to make our visit special. The bar is comfortable and the prices are as you would expect for a theatre, a little higher than pub prices but not overly extortionate. I highly recommend a trip to The Swan when you're in the vicinity!

1  Thank SJHosier
There are newer reviews for Swan Theatre

Reviewed 17 May 2012

I love this theatre! There are no bad seats - even if you're standing... It is intimate and done in the style of an Elizabethan indoor theatre. I think it is absolutely the best place in the world to see Shakespeare.

1  Thank mtb09
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Went to see Romeo and Juliet in Baghdad. which was a brilliant play, well produced and acted. First time i have been to this theatre and i was quite impressed.
the Staff were very polite, friendly, and knowledgeable.
the theatre is attractive, with a stage that comes out into the audience, so people are very close to the action. I sat in the middle of the first stage of seats, and had an excellent view,and all the actors were audible.
As mentioned by others, the seats are a bit of a pain, as they are quite close together, so would recommend that you sit on an end of row seat.

1  Thank suzeb46
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We visited the Swan Theatre to see King John and chose some of the cheaper seats - middle in Gallery 2 at the front. The seats gave us an excellent view of an excellent performance. The seat further back (high seats) would not be as satisfactory. The only complaint I have is that the seats were extremely close together with no arms. As the stranger next to me murmured "very cosy". Peering over the balcony I could not see many seats that provided more space, certainly none had arms. I was well pleased that I had not paid to be any closer to the stage as that benefit would have been outweighed by the seats offering the same level of comfort. From what I could see, there was an occasional area of where there was space for only two people.

If I were to go to a favourite play I would pay the extra to be "cosy" only with my partner. On all other occasions I'd opt for the cheaper seats!

1  Thank cindylou45
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Pay extra and go for the ground floor - some of the seats are downright uncomfortable. You literally have to lean forward for the entire play.

3  Thank sa_leach